What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CoCo's 85w Grow Tent

starke

I feel your pain. Had white flies on my last grow. Cleaned, disinfected and bombed. Five weeks into flower today and I just saw a few fliers again. Here we go. Best of luck.

CoCo_LoCo

What about S.F nematodes? Those have always worked for me.. add in some Stateo. S. Mites a d Rove beatles for the ultimate in gnat destruction.

I hear the predatory nematodes are great but not available in South Africa. The only name brand international products available here are Atami coco coir and various nutrients. And then not even the whole range.

I feel your pain. Had white flies on my last grow. Cleaned, disinfected and bombed. Five weeks into flower today and I just saw a few fliers again. Here we go. Best of luck.

Ive dealt with white flies. No pesticide worked for me. I eventually beat them by doing this:

Step 1: find a leaf with white fly eggs on it.
Step 2: place leaf in sealed back and monitor,
Step 3: when eggs are quite big and easily visible on the quarantined leaf then lie on your back under the plant and look at the underside of the leaves. Make sure the light source is between the leaves and you, the eggs become very easy to spot like this.
Step 4: Remove all leaves with eggs and destroy
Step5 : repeat until infestation is over.

Every single fucking day I inspected leaves from the bottom up and eventually I harvested. Veg plants where unaffected and that was the end of it. Quite a pain.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Two words: diatomaceous earth. You can use it right up until the day of harvest. It's perfectly safe to mammals. Just put some in a sock, smack it with your hands so that you dust up your grow space good, and those mf'ers are goners. It dessicates anything with an exoskeleton, and it's food grade to us.

nickman

Veteran
Two words: diatomaceous earth. You can use it right up until the day of harvest. It's perfectly safe to mammals. Just put some in a sock, smack it with your hands so that you dust up your grow space good, and those mf'ers are goners. It dessicates anything with an exoskeleton, and it's food grade to us.

I haven’t heard of using it that way yet...

I always just put a layer down on top of the soil/medium...
only problem with my way is that once you water the plants the DE gets kinda like how wet flour gets and I always end up putting another layer down...
but every time I’ve done it this way the knat’s are gone within two weeks tops...!!!...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I haven’t heard of using it that way yet...

I always just put a layer down on top of the soil/medium...
only problem with my way is that once you water the plants the DE gets kinda like how wet flour gets and I always end up putting another layer down...
but every time I’ve done it this way the knat’s are gone within two weeks tops...!!!...

That way works, too, it's just "wasteful" on the DE. But the stuff is cheap, so who cares, right? It's interesting to me because the "dusting" application tends to be the common application outside of cannabis cultivating scenes. Even in general horticulture it's used that way. At the hydroponic shop I worked at in the 2000s, we even sold a device specifically for DE's pest control application, which basically blew a cloud of dust in the general direction it was being aimed.

Essentially, when you dust surfaces with DE, you are creating a sahara desert for any critters with an exoskeleton, only the grains of sand are more like shards of glass to those critters. Good stuff, and perfectly safe (there are even weirdos who swallow a teaspoon of the stuff per day because they believe it is killing things in thei—oh who am I fooling, I don't know what the fuck they think they are doing when they swallow DE, lol, but the point is it's perfectly safe to us, and all mammals).

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
People with asthma or other breathing conditions can find it can irritate, so if you have any sort of breathing problem use one of those paper masks they wear to prevent germ spread or for painting.
61u9vHMq6yL._SL1013_.jpg

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ Good point. I neglect to mention that sometimes because I think it goes without saying... but I'm generally wrong every time I find myself saying "it goes without saying," so thank you for pointing that out.

CoCo_LoCo

Applying the DE that way makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Ive tried DE as a top dressing but I just get a paste forming on top of the coco because it never gets dry.

---------------------------------------------------------

Some pics of the clones. Day 7 after being planted.

They all showed some decent growth. I have topped all of them over the last couple days.

CoCo_LoCo

3 weeks of 12/12

3 weeks of 12/12

Pistils are developing nicely. I love that stage
when the pistil tufts form little domes.

Last edited:

CoCo_LoCo

5 weeks of 12/12

5 weeks of 12/12

When I open the tent the smell is just fantastic.

I am so excited for this run to be complete. Im going to have a little cannabis cup with my friends! Six strains to smoke.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts