Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Local materials

Thread Title Search
Local materials Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2019, 06:27 PM #11
h.h.

h.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud ofh.h. has much to be proud of
I didn't think it would bubble. Must not be too hard.
Different part of the Continent. Things were formed a little different and surface a little different.
Any local source of yucca?
Interesting cacti?

Quote:
it’s mighty sad when average health has declined to the point that people become fatally ill from exposure to a little animal shit.
Solomon, Steve; Reinheimer, Erica (2012-12-04). The Intelligent Gardener: Growing Nutrient Dense Food (p. 271). New Society Publishers. Kindle Edition.
h.h. is online now Quote

Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 PM #12
BasicallyBasic

BasicallyBasic is on a distinguished road
I'm almost right on the equator and I am looking into soil ingredients that can be locally sourced. My issue is getting the peat moss. When I lived in North America I could just buy a cheap bail from any nursery but the promix bails like I'm used to are imported and super expensive. My Spanish is ok, but I'm not well versed in horticulture terminology. Does anybody know if Turba Rubia Sustrato will work well in my soil mix? The description says it's ph 4. Translates to blond peat...are there any risks to using a peat moss that isn't from Canada? My other option is to use coco which is cheap down here. Any advice?
BasicallyBasic is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 PM #13
Sweetdog760

Sweetdog760 will become famous soon enoughSweetdog760 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicallyBasic View Post
I'm almost right on the equator and I am looking into soil ingredients that can be locally sourced. My issue is getting the peat moss. When I lived in North America I could just buy a cheap bail from any nursery but the promix bails like I'm used to are imported and super expensive. My Spanish is ok, but I'm not well versed in horticulture terminology. Does anybody know if Turba Rubia Sustrato will work well in my soil mix? The description says it's ph 4. Translates to blond peat...are there any risks to using a peat moss that isn't from Canada? My other option is to use coco which is cheap down here. Any advice?
If your close to the tropics then Cocos going to be your best option. No point in sourcing things from the other end of the continent. Youre going to want a different mineral mix than if using peat but other than that there shouldn't be much difference.
Sweetdog760 is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 AM #14
BasicallyBasic

BasicallyBasic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetdog760 View Post
If your close to the tropics then Cocos going to be your best option. No point in sourcing things from the other end of the continent. Youre going to want a different mineral mix than if using peat but other than that there shouldn't be much difference.

The blond peat and coco are cheap but the Canadian peat is way too expensive.
I'm assuming that I will need to add some lime to the peat seeing as the ph is around 4...
attached is a picture of the product
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turba rubia.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	482290
BasicallyBasic is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 12:26 AM #15
redlaser

redlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivor
Sounds like another interesting project Microbeman. I’m curious how you will handle the trace element needs with your mix, would the topsoil and sand be enough?

I’m working with Premier peat w/ pumice as well, still making adjustments on its third year of use. High iron and aluminum after initial mix, probably from rock dust application, have been able to flush some of that out.
redlaser is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 AM #16
Switcher56
Comfortably numb!

Switcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond reputeSwitcher56 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbeman View Post
Yes we are quite distant, although closer than where I hang my other hat in Canada I am north of CDMX in the central highlands.

Right now, I'm interested in growing some lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, dandelions, red clover and some local medicinal herbs. I may grow a couple of local plants. My cultivars are still in Canada.

I will follow the legalization process here and might grow more as permitted.
How R U bringing soil into Canada from Mexico? It's not really the plant or tree CBP is concerned with but, the dirt!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
may their arms be too short to scratch...
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 04:40 AM #17
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlaser View Post
Sounds like another interesting project Microbeman. I’m curious how you will handle the trace element needs with your mix, would the topsoil and sand be enough?

I’m working with Premier peat w/ pumice as well, still making adjustments on its third year of use. High iron and aluminum after initial mix, probably from rock dust application, have been able to flush some of that out.
I'm still looking for rock/clay dusts but the vermicompost should have much of what I need.

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
The thing which man is most sure of, is man's greatest mystery.....gravity.
Microbeman is offline Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 04:42 AM #18
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post
How R U bringing soil into Canada from Mexico? It's not really the plant or tree CBP is concerned with but, the dirt!
My garden is in Mexico.

What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~

Old 01-15-2019, 04:47 AM #19
Hookahhead

Hookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicallyBasic View Post
I'm almost right on the equator and I am looking into soil ingredients that can be locally sourced.
Look for coco coir (fibre de coco). I live in a large agricultural area. I buy it from the big agriculture/veterinary stores, I pay around 6$ for a 5kg block.

The other really good thing to look for here is rice hulls (grana de arroz). Its a great perlite substitute! It comes from a industrial waste stream instead of a mine, it's biodegradable, and it's high in silica. What more could you ask for really?

A lot of sugar is produced in my area, so they are practically giving molasses (mollasse) away. It's so cheap they spray it on dirt roads to keep the dust down during the dry season. I bought a gallon jug for 1.50 and later learned that I could have brought my own jug and saved a dollar!

Some other things I've been able to source locally... English (Spanish)

Compost (Compost)
Horse manure (caca de caballo)
Cow manure (caca de vaca)
Chicken manure (caca de pollo)
Sheep manure (caca de oveja)
Goat manure (caca de cabra)
Cricket frass (caca de grillos)
Ash (ceniza)
River sand (arena de rio)
Agricultural lime (cal agrícola)

Good luck, if you need any help let me know!
Hookahhead is online now Quote

Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 AM #20
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

lombricomposta - vermicompost
composta - compost [some pronunciations]

Where is the blond peat from?
Be aware rice hulls are not good for drainage long term - as in notill because they degrade.

What do you do, sir?"
~John Maynard Keynes~