Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Security & Legal Issues > metadata 101: read me before uploading photos

Thread Title Search
metadata 101: read me before uploading photos Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 PM #11
Anti
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Anti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud of
If you have photoshop, you can use "save for web" to strip EXIF data off your images. (The official reason is because this will make your file size smaller, which is typically a good thing for bandwidth, upload speed, page loads, etc.)

What you do is go to the "file" menu and click "save for web or devices."

Alternately, on a PC you can click (alt+f) and then release and press 'd'.

When you do that, you'll see something like this:

Look for the part about "metadata" and make sure it is set to "none":

I run EVERY picture I take through photoshop, crop it down to 800x600 at 72 dpi and then "save for web".

Once you've done it a few times, you can do the whole process of loading the image, quick color correction, cropping and saving in under a minute.

(I just made these images while typing this post.)
micro group

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert. I am not a guru. I am just some guy who is here to learn - just like you. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Anti is offline Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 11:08 PM #12
detoneSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti View Post
The geotag is a part of the EXIF data.

So if your phone geotags the image (or stores anything else in exif data, like if you put your name/location into your phone) then it will still be on the image even once you transfer it to your computer.
But if I have my gps location option on my droid off, am i ok? and is there a way to check my current pics to see the attached info? thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 PM #13
Anti
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Anti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud ofAnti has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by detoneSmoker View Post
But if I have my gps location option on my droid off, am i ok? and is there a way to check my current pics to see the attached info? thanks
Here's a website you can upload a picture to and it will tell you what the exif data is...

https://www.exifviewer.org/

(Please be smart enough to upload an INNOCENT picture for the test. Like a picture of your cat or something. Not a picture of your op.)
micro group

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert. I am not a guru. I am just some guy who is here to learn - just like you. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Anti is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 AM #14
Pumpkin

Pumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of lightPumpkin is a glorious beacon of light
Can't the uploader just strip this header information?

Save the trouble of people worrying about this? I can't imagine it would be a big code change.

Just keep this
File size : 1244057 Bytes
MIME type : image/jpeg
Image size : 2048 x 1536

And strip the rest.
Pumpkin is offline Quote

Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 AM #15
B.C.
Non Conformist

B.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to all
Talking

Tagged... thanks guys! BC
Once I thought I saw you in a crowded hazy bar, dancing on the light from star to star. Far across the moonbeam I know that's who you are, I looked in to your eyes and I saw fire! Before that moment you touched my lips, that perfect feeling when time jus slips, away between us on our foggy trip....
B.C. is offline Quote

Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM #16
avant gardener
Banned

avant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of lightavant gardener is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
Can't the uploader just strip this header information?

Save the trouble of people worrying about this? I can't imagine it would be a big code change.

Just keep this
File size : 1244057 Bytes
MIME type : image/jpeg
Image size : 2048 x 1536

And strip the rest.
hoping that a 3rd party removes your info for you is grossly irresponsible—especially in a situation that could easily result in cops or other bad guys knocking down your door. ICM does a pretty good job of stripping personal info from images, but with the stakes as high as they are, why wouldn't you take the extra 30 seconds to cover your ass?

or don't. that way i don't need to outrun the bear.
i just need to outrun YOU.\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by detoneSmoker View Post
even if your location is turned off, there's still information that can link a photo to you. for instance, the unique serial number of your device. do yourself a favor and only ever upload anything with a BLANK exif.
avant gardener is offline Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 PM #17
captain planet

captain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud of
Is there an app for photoshop or similar that I can use? I need to start my pic game and I am def not exif savvy . I will do some googling but wonder if anyone uses their phone for pic, an app to remove resize, and upload from phone/app idk

Current Mothers
1: GG4
2: Girl Scout Cookies (forum)
3: Sour Dubb
4: Stardawg (Corey Haim)
5: 2.0
6: Blue Dream
captain planet is offline Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM #18
captain planet

captain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud of
Ooops I see pixelgarde does, great info here

Current Mothers
1: GG4
2: Girl Scout Cookies (forum)
3: Sour Dubb
4: Stardawg (Corey Haim)
5: 2.0
6: Blue Dream
captain planet is offline Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM #19
bobman

bobman has a spectacular aura aboutbobman has a spectacular aura aboutbobman has a spectacular aura aboutbobman has a spectacular aura about
Well it looks like if u just do a screen capture on ur android that is strips the data. Only gives image size, file type, and picture size. I assume thats good enough anybody want to confirm it would be much appreciated. Thanks
bobman is offline Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 PM #20
Marco61

Marco61 has a spectacular aura aboutMarco61 has a spectacular aura aboutMarco61 has a spectacular aura about
Just so you know, many of the programs that claim to remove metadata leave enough information behind for forensic software to reconstruct the metadata. FBI and some private investigative companies are quite open about this ability.

As far as the local police go, they probably won't be able to do it, but start posting images of a huge commercial grow and you can bet someone is going to try to reclaim the camera's fingerprints. Best practice is to use a digital camera that is used for nothing but pictures of the grow and isn't connected to your identity. Considering how cheap cameras are today it shouldn't be a problem getting a decent one for sharing mj pictures.
Marco61 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.