What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"NYC Piff"

indifferent

Veteran
alright, so everyone knows their duty, right? get a hold of that fucking cut lol :joint:

Yup, I wanted it ever since I heard about it.

the guy i get it from is dominican

Those are the guys who run it, Dominican gangs, not sure if they are the only ones growing it, but they are definitely the ones running it to NYC.

as for the wait patience is a virtue and as a wise man once said
I would gladly walk over 20 lbs of cali kush to grab 4 ounces off a haze plant which took 12 months

Me too, Indicas are making into hash, sativas are for smoking!

are you telling me there's gangsta strain whores ?? those murderous little pot snobs !!

It's common for gangs to strain whore, the bikers have a load of cuts they won't let out, and the bikers are way more important and significant in the weed scene than folks admit online. Just look at the Canadian commercial weed scene, it was started by bikers and to this day, they totally dominate the scene in Canada.

I think the point all Piff/Haze lovers have missed is that the sandalwood and spice you all crave is from Colombian genes. So you all need to track down some Colombian beans, which isn't that easy these days, but a good Colombian will give you all the sandalwood and spice and incense you seek.

G

Guest 64665

i almost feel bad for people that have never tasted straight up, pure haze. it has an amazing flavor and smell

which pure haze is this you refer to?

id lov to hear about the taste/aromas

as for the wait patience is a virtue and as a wise man once said
I would gladly walk over 20 lbs of cali kush to grab 4 ounces off a haze plant which took 12 months

1luvbigherb

i should have worded it different. i dont know if they are "pure" as ive never grown them.

ive smoked plenty of weak hazes were it smells like haze but once you burn it, it has little to no haze smell or taste at all.

once and a while we get some stuff that smells amazing. soapy, incense type aroma. not fruity at all. its hard to explain the smell because it is almost 1 of a kind and there is not much to compare it to. atleast nothing ive smelled. but if you have smelled it, you know what im talking about cause its a very distinct smell. the smell is so overpowering when u burn it, its all u smell or taste. and the shit gets u ripped after like 2 pulls on a blunt. its always a dark green with goldent tint. and its always fluffy never dense but not stringy.

thats what i think of when i think of haze.

G

Guest 64665

Okay, here's the info I found out about this NYC Piff/Haze.

It's from Florida, grown by Latino gangs, they call it The Black and it's a colossal yielding Colombian, probably not a pure Colombian, but mostly Colombian. This thing is said to yield more than anything else around and takes 12-14 weeks, it's very tightly held and the gangs would be mightily pissed off if the cut got out. Most of it gets shipped north to NYC, look at some police figures for busts along the interstate from FL to NYC (i-10 I seem to recall) and you'll see just how much of this stuff is being sent north, it's a huge setup.

Given that the spice in Haze is from Colombian genes, it makes total sense that the Piff is also from Colombia.

dont you think that it would be compacted or smooshed together if it was being shipped? this stuff never looks like its been crammed or flatened or anything. you would think that if they r shipping it from FL it would be tightly packed.

bigherb

Veteran
Okay, here's the info I found out about this NYC Piff/Haze.

It's from Florida, grown by Latino gangs, they call it The Black and it's a colossal yielding Colombian, probably not a pure Colombian, but mostly Colombian. This thing is said to yield more than anything else around and takes 12-14 weeks, it's very tightly held and the gangs would be mightily pissed off if the cut got out. Most of it gets shipped north to NYC, look at some police figures for busts along the interstate from FL to NYC (i-10 I seem to recall) and you'll see just how much of this stuff is being sent north, it's a huge setup.

Given that the spice in Haze is from Colombian genes, it makes total sense that the Piff is also from Colombia.

much respect

not sayin your wrong i kno som of the nyc haze comes from florida ,as far as i understand the black comes from florida .yes it may be a nyc haze variety .but not our nyc haze from diff growers picked at diff times ,maybe just one of the many haze varieties that float nyc

once again there is no piff/haze many of us have been smokin nyc haze way way before piff was a term . i want everyone to understand this there are many hazes that go around nyc being called piff .piff is not one particular clone.that is a FACT

there are many variation and grades

from research the blacks anint frankies
i believe happhi has experienced and met with som cats here i believe that have given him a taste

jj-nyc has the black money mike i believe who is familair with the blacks doesnt think its related they all are familair with nyc haze .

quote jj-nyc
There are many different versions of the NYC Haze, ranging from floral Thai to cat piss and everything in between. I know the cat piss pheno. The black Haze is not this pheno but it has hints of cat piss and Thai and could pass as a NYC Haze if it's not already. It smokes very strong and fills up the room with that classic haze smell and can hang with any NYC Haze

this is the guy or one of them i refer to

quote THE MAN
the Co Cough is FIRE.yeilds big,smells like frankincense,sandalwood,spice.basically a strait HAZE that can be mershed.it still takes a minimum of 10 weeks but you can flip SOG cuts and pull like a champ,i get a cuppl pics up later.

the black is way different.reminds me of anise,rye,spice,sandlewwod,frankensence.as for it not being the piff.the piff i got multiple time up on Len was the black cut.i have herd there are two different cuts going around.there are also mutiple pull times for her.so thats why i think there are so many differnet grades and qualities.this is IMO of course.i have only tried the piff maybe 20 times but the first time was in 96 and the last being 99-2000 so my experience was quite a bit ago.i dont know what people consider piff now

i anint neva tasted anise or rye in any nyc haze anise is like black liquor wish the only herb i tasted was som sativa seeds gifted to me a the 18th CC and i understand this is a african trait

1luvbigherb

DOWNLOW

I hope you guy don't mind if I add my 2 cents here, the Domicans up in the Wash.

Heights are most definetely pushing most the haze thru NYC but I cant never find some

real real goods from them except once in a while just a quater zip When they first started

serving me it was for 125 dollar but faithfullness has drove the price to $90 for me. Also

there are times you find a couple of good seed. but alot of times its trash. The other thing

is they tell you its one thing and its another, so until I grow my own and enlighten my

palette I wouldn't be able to tell you what they selling. they're sour diesel i'll give them

that as authentic. One last thing in NYC all "seedless" is generally called "PIFF" just my

take on this town unless you know a grower its all mystery bags to me, so im not even

going to drag you to the dime and tweenty bag seen its a horror, crying shame etc. etc.

indifferent

Veteran
Well, I'm not from NYC or FL, so the piff and haze in NYC isn't something I'm familiar with.

I did 2 years hard research into the whole subject of Haze and talked to a lot of people, many of them offline dudes and the story about the Haze in NYC has two main strands, the first one is that one I told earlier about a Colombian cutting grown in FL, I heard the same story from 3 different, unrelated sources, so for me, that's fairly verified. However, like you guys say, there isn't just one Haze/Piff in NYC so there is lots of room for further speculation and debate.

I will say this though, some of the Haze in NYC is that Colombian run by the Dominicans, of that much I am certain.

The other NYC Haze story took me a lot longer to track down, I heard fragments of it from different people, then tracked down a guy who knew the whole story. He's a bit kooky so I had to speak to another guy to verify his tale and he did, so here it is in brief:

Haze was being grown in Hawaii large scale by the BOEL, it was being shipped to the US in state of the art packaging - vacuum sealed in foil using nitrogen and the packages had a dragon motif on them. These were the best quality weed shipments to ever reach US shores it is said, and it was rare to find a seed in each package, most packages were sensi, but some had one or two seeds, it is from these seeds from these shipments that Haze started in Cali it is said. The early collectives were already of course, working with Mexican and Colombian genes and had crossed them in various combinations. Haze seeds from Hawaii entered the mix and when the BOEL operation in Hawaii shutdown, Cali became the new home of Haze. However, a large portion of the Haze packages from Hawaii were shipped to NYC, that was the BOEL's biggest weed market by far. Some guys in NYC would have saved the few seeds from these packages so it is certain that the original Haze was all over NYC in the late 60s and early 70s. I expect that Haze genes from the BOEL days still survive in or around NYC, although what is sold today is probably hybridised as I see a pure Haze being not what you need for productive growing commercially in NYC.

One side note to this Haze tale is that in the mid 80s (86 or 87 probably) Neville Schoenmakers travelled to NYC from Holland and purchased a seed collection. The story Neville told afterwards was that the '1969 Haze Bros Haze' seeds he acquired came as part of this seed collection.

Personally, I have my doubts that Neville ever had any real Haze and what he labelled Haze and made all the hybrids from was actually a Thai/Colombian cross and not actually Haze. The whole Haze Bros story is most likely apocryphal and there never were two guys in Santa Cruz who bred Haze in 71-74 from Thai, Colombian, Mexican and South Indian. The Haze story begins with the BOEL and the surfers who went round the world to catch the best waves in remote places and brought back all kinds of exotic and special sativa seeds. These heirlooms collected by the early surfers are what made Haze. The BOEL used chemists to make LSD and produce hash oil, and they worked like a corporation, with huge financing levels, so it's quite possible they hired some very skillful and highly educated plant breeders to work on their cannabis operations.

Sadly, so much BS and lies obscures much of the truth that it is probably better to go looking for the NYC Haze qualities in the Colombian genepool than trying to find it in a hybrid line like one of the modern 'Haze' variants.

Good luck to anyone who is searching for the NYC Haze/Piff though, and please keep us all informed of your findings.

reservationlabs

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the input. i dont know many people that would have the patience to do 105 to 120 day flowering. thats why this herb costs so much money i guess.

Your very welcome.

I don't see the HillBilly HAZE of which I grow ever being a cash cropper just for the reason of it takes so long to flower and finish "correctly", and the yield is nothing like you will get from indica or indica hybrid strains.

As for it being personal smoke. The quality is just there. It isn't like the things you get on the market or in any cannabis club. It is connoisseur herb and something that has been missing for a lot of years. The old timers are bringing this type of smoke back and I appreciate them for that.

DOWNLOW

I do find this to be very good information, being I'm a NY'R and all

I didn't know I could find this type info here thnx. RESERVATION and INDIFF I appreciate it.

dominicangreen

Weed Robot
Veteran
indica can be done quick but sativa to my own experiance have always produced more buds even tho they grow so big.i'm going alaskan ice from green house and i found that piff smell in her i guess it's the pure sativa they use to breed with but NY i'm so close that shit may hit your side of town

indifferent

Veteran
Alaskan Ice eh, sounds interesting. God knows what goes into the GHS strains but they do have some very hazy offerings for sure.

I agree about sats, they can take a long time but can also yield immense, biggest yielding thing I have ever grown would be Highland Oaxacan Gold, followed by another Mexican from the Yucatan, they both take 14-16 weeks though.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
alright, so everyone knows their duty, right? get a hold of that fucking cut lol :joint:

ArcticBlast

as far as this goes talk to artofmakingfire, he gotta couple seeds, grew them out and started a thread, met the cat, cool as shit.

and to address a post i just read (sorry, got lost in responding to the quote) with the dominicans uptown, you never know what your getting, and that goes for the whole of NY as well. ive blasted many of my friends that get a nice strain, know what it is and instantly call it something else, hell its been going on for so long i dare say its instinctual after so many years for them to do that.

they say that they want to have the next hot thing, or want people to call them for what they have, so you can get lost in what you get out there in NY streets, and the hustlers out there are just that hustlers, so they dont care about what a strain is called, they just want to make sure you keep coming back.

for me i say good luck with "the piff", cause whose to say what it really is? but ive already stated my case, i had some b4 i grew out my SSH and had some after and im still not impressed.

best thing anyone can do for this mystery strain is to keep buying it and if ever a seed is found, give it to a grower, get some coloidial(spelling?) silver and go to town!

best of luck to all the piff lovers

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
much respect

i feel this is just ur opinion

i find it interesting you mention cali ,if you live there id lov to hear som inside info but as for my reasearch .its REALLY SAD cali doesnt hav a standout endall famous haze strain.the haze was created in cali but seems to have dissapeared,evident by the kush craze .

ive asked countless breeders to obtain a cali haze that is up to standards an ive yet to see anything produced on the market .please correct me if im wrong .the dispensaries dont sell clone or bud of a cali haze/haze bros haze .

SAME GOES FOR ADAM

the oldschool hazes for example are circulating holland but 1 or 2 cs in S.holland sell the bud and your in the loop or a lucky guy to recieve a cut as there are no seeds

soo they sell AH n SSH instead of 4-6 more weeks for the gems ohaze, NH, oldschoolhazes

not to say no one has real haze out there ,for example as i believe the hilbilly haze to be a variety of the haze bros haze and hope to find out this summer .

jk reported humbolt treetop which looked quite similar to haze ive smoked ,but is she around does more than a select group hav the opportunity to taste her .

there are truly countless strains of haze in nyc in my 13 yrs of smokin ive seen hundreds ,which all vary in grade .soo the experiences will be many .believe me there is no piff clone no one piff/haze strain its just a marketing tag

IMO frankies is the endall haze of nyc which i believe is a variety of the haze bros that has survived ,ive yet to smoke any haze from adam and back that compares.

one mans treasure is the next man garbage

1luvbigherb

well the reason i mentioned cali, was purely for whats going on out there. i mean yeah there are growers everywhere, but being a NY'er (born and raised) to me very little compares to cali as far as being on the forefront of all the cannabis goings on, growing or political.

and being in it for so long, ive gotten tired of trying to pinpoint things in NY when it comes to strains and varieties, its just not worth it.

youve got one guy growing, and hes got "THE PIFF", youve got another guy who just started hustlin and he's got "THE PIFF", then theres the guy who wants to impress and he either has or knows someone that has "THE PIFF", so no matter what you do or where you are in NY whose to say who has the real PIFF? from what i know of NY im sure the guy who has the real piff is the guy that buys an oz. of "THE PIFF", bags it up, goes out to the masses, and says " yo, i got that kush yo", so now the precious PIFF is now a knock you down KUSH just that quickly, and as fate would have it that guy is the one person who bought the ounce with all the seeds in it! lol

far as i know, although there is a real history behind it, PIFF is nothing more than a term for good NY weed, plain simple end of story

bigherb

Veteran
Well, I'm not from NYC or FL, so the piff and haze in NYC isn't something I'm familiar with.

I did 2 years hard research into the whole subject of Haze and talked to a lot of people, many of them offline dudes and the story about the Haze in NYC has two main strands, the first one is that one I told earlier about a Colombian cutting grown in FL, I heard the same story from 3 different, unrelated sources, so for me, that's fairly verified. However, like you guys say, there isn't just one Haze/Piff in NYC so there is lots of room for further speculation and debate.

I will say this though, some of the Haze in NYC is that Colombian run by the Dominicans, of that much I am certain.

The other NYC Haze story took me a lot longer to track down, I heard fragments of it from different people, then tracked down a guy who knew the whole story. He's a bit kooky so I had to speak to another guy to verify his tale and he did, so here it is in brief:

Haze was being grown in Hawaii large scale by the BOEL, it was being shipped to the US in state of the art packaging - vacuum sealed in foil using nitrogen and the packages had a dragon motif on them. These were the best quality weed shipments to ever reach US shores it is said, and it was rare to find a seed in each package, most packages were sensi, but some had one or two seeds, it is from these seeds from these shipments that Haze started in Cali it is said. The early collectives were already of course, working with Mexican and Colombian genes and had crossed them in various combinations. Haze seeds from Hawaii entered the mix and when the BOEL operation in Hawaii shutdown, Cali became the new home of Haze. However, a large portion of the Haze packages from Hawaii were shipped to NYC, that was the BOEL's biggest weed market by far. Some guys in NYC would have saved the few seeds from these packages so it is certain that the original Haze was all over NYC in the late 60s and early 70s. I expect that Haze genes from the BOEL days still survive in or around NYC, although what is sold today is probably hybridised as I see a pure Haze being not what you need for productive growing commercially in NYC.

One side note to this Haze tale is that in the mid 80s (86 or 87 probably) Neville Schoenmakers travelled to NYC from Holland and purchased a seed collection. The story Neville told afterwards was that the '1969 Haze Bros Haze' seeds he acquired came as part of this seed collection.

Personally, I have my doubts that Neville ever had any real Haze and what he labelled Haze and made all the hybrids from was actually a Thai/Colombian cross and not actually Haze. The whole Haze Bros story is most likely apocryphal and there never were two guys in Santa Cruz who bred Haze in 71-74 from Thai, Colombian, Mexican and South Indian. The Haze story begins with the BOEL and the surfers who went round the world to catch the best waves in remote places and brought back all kinds of exotic and special sativa seeds. These heirlooms collected by the early surfers are what made Haze. The BOEL used chemists to make LSD and produce hash oil, and they worked like a corporation, with huge financing levels, so it's quite possible they hired some very skillful and highly educated plant breeders to work on their cannabis operations.

Sadly, so much BS and lies obscures much of the truth that it is probably better to go looking for the NYC Haze qualities in the Colombian genepool than trying to find it in a hybrid line like one of the modern 'Haze' variants.

Good luck to anyone who is searching for the NYC Haze/Piff though, and please keep us all informed of your findings.

this is bonk webs site a friend of neville who had worked with all those oldschool haze never released that hazeman or somthin like that i believe can tell us more about as he has seen the charts .its my belief that neville did aquire a diff stock than SAMS i tend to believe he did travel to nyc or atleast aquired stock from here

there are few very hazey pics that r intriguing

www.wietmeneer.nl

this is the version i believe of how she got here posted by happyhi

quoted from happyhi of ic

HISTORY OF THE ORIGINAL HAZE - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

Original - it was original so it fit.
Strain - an accident. Back then we all felt that Colombian Gold aka as Punto Roja was the best smoke. The haze comes from a Punta Roja seed
and was bred to itself for about 10 years after which the strain went
weak and became useless. It was never a stable strain and usually produced four varieties. Root Beer, deep purple, magenta, and light silver green.
There was never any Haze Brothers, that's urban legend. There were haze brothers that were large buyers and were brothers so we called them the haze brothers but there was three of them anyway.

the four plants emerged right from the get go, remember there was no serious breeding program, just pollen chucking. It originated from a punto rojo seed and then was breed to itself for the duration of it's existence.
the four plants were
1. OH- purple calyxes green leaves, did not turn purple due to cold. red sap.
rich deep smoke, very very sweet, down to the last hit, many thought it tasted like
smoking juicy fruit with a very rich finish. no incense smell
2.Magenta- often referred to as the root beer plant because that's how it tasted to many.
3.light green almost silver blue- my favorite, we used to call it Bilko weed, cause we would watch lots of sargent bilko and laugh our asses off along with a bit of the honeymooners. this was the closest thing to smoking acid, very very clear and up.
taste was sweet but much spicier than the others, peppery sweet and very expansive.
4. green/brown- this plant had the most incense smell and was probably the most like old school high altitude mexican. i can't remember how the taste was different except that it was old school tasting, not as sweet more musky.
These memories are old as am i, so my apologies if they aren't as descriptive as some.

the fourth variety is wat gives me my thought of comin full circle ,i believe this pheno is still alive and survives in nyc

if you read happyhi claims about the brothers,they were buyers so its seems possible these loads might have been brought too nyc

we've discussed the boel a while back with british hempire and yes they did ship major imports to our nyc ports .NYC has always had the best becaz of proximity and our cash flow .all those golds and reds highland lowlands.but i truly doubt that the haez was created by boel or in hawaii

there has been speculation as to our haze being pure sativa .i believe it to be definetly possible if you look at jk cb 1 durban posion a pure sativa grown outdoor and in a gh .ive smoked countless hazes that looked just like that and even more sativa lookin

well we both agree that the haze bros haze survives in nyc and we agree that the nyc hazes are mostly lumbo dom .

1luvbigherb

indifferent

Veteran
Hi bigherb

Couple of little points I see there that don't sound quite right. Colombian Gold and Punto Rojo are not the same, the Punto Rojo is more modern and quite different to the classic Santa Marta Highland Golds. Sam has said there were several Colombians and Mexicans mixed to make the original Haze, but I am sceptical on that story.

Also, the #4 type, if it was incense-like I would suspect it was more a Highland Colombian than a Highland Mexican.

The #1 type sounds like a Thai pheno and the #2 sounds like a purple Colombian pheno.

I don't think the BOEL created Haze, but they were the ones packing and shipping it from Hawaii. Christ knows what that Haze was, more than likely, the early surfers who collected sativa genes all over the world planted em all out in Hawaii and Haze came out of those grows, probably a polyhybrid created field-scale sometime in the early 60s.

The Hazes that came out of Cali a little later, like the Haze Bros version from Sam and OT1's version are, I think, either descended from seeds picked from those legendary Dragon-labelled packages from Hawaii or Cali-bred imitations of it. Those Haze packages from Hawaii commanded absolutely the top prices in every market they landed in so I expect every grower in Cali in the late 60s and early 70s was trying to cash-in on the Haze name by selling their own Colombian/Mexican/Thai hybrids as Haze.

I'm told there was a very distinctive taste to those BOEL Haze shipments that is not easily found in seed versions of Haze that have come along since.

Whatever survives in NYC to this day may well be Haze, but to me, it's just as likely that some old Mexican/Colombian genes from another origin also survive and are still being grown and sold. Many Mexicans will finish well outside the tropics and it is very definitely possible to acclimate a tropical plant to a more northerly latitude over years.

The big mystery in all this NYC Haze talk is Neville. He bought a seed collection from an old hippie in NYC in the mid 80s and he claimed his '1969 Haze Bros Haze' came from this purchase. However, I am pretty sure Neville's 'Haze' wasn't the same as the other Hazes we know from Sam, OT1 and Tom Hill, I see Colombian and Thai influences in Neville's version which makes me suspect what he called Haze was actually a Colombian/Thai hybrid. Only Neville really knows where his Haze genes came from, there are a multitude of possible origins besides Haze, there were a ton of Colombian and Thai hybrids in Australia in the 70s and 80s, and many survive to this day. Maybe Neville had a stunning Aussie Colombian/Thai hybrid like Mullumbimbi Madness and knew it was better for his breeding purposes than the polyhybrid mixed bag that was/is Haze, so he just renamed it Haze and that is where all his Haze hybrids come from.

So yeah, there are some great Colombian genes in NYC, but whether they are from Haze or elsewhere, who knows?

whodair

Veteran
i found the sandalwood spice in g13haze. its indica growth pattern with haze smell and effect.

gonna call it the "brooklyn piff"

indifferent

Veteran
G13Haze is a good place to look. The G13 was your typical accrid lemony Afghan, but it didn't have a big, strong smell/taste. The Haze used to make that cross was the Haze A male which was the Colombian dom one, so it makes sense that the Haze smell/taste would dominate over the G13 and with the right pheno, you could probably find something with a lot of Colombian influence I expect.

bigherb

Veteran
Hi bigherb

Couple of little points I see there that don't sound quite right. Colombian Gold and Punto Rojo are not the same, the Punto Rojo is more modern and quite different to the classic Santa Marta Highland Golds. Sam has said there were several Colombians and Mexicans mixed to make the original Haze, but I am sceptical on that story.

Also, the #4 type, if it was incense-like I would suspect it was more a Highland Colombian than a Highland Mexican.

The #1 type sounds like a Thai pheno and the #2 sounds like a purple Colombian pheno.

I don't think the BOEL created Haze, but they were the ones packing and shipping it from Hawaii. Christ knows what that Haze was, more than likely, the early surfers who collected sativa genes all over the world planted em all out in Hawaii and Haze came out of those grows, probably a polyhybrid created field-scale sometime in the early 60s.

The Hazes that came out of Cali a little later, like the Haze Bros version from Sam and OT1's version are, I think, either descended from seeds picked from those legendary Dragon-labelled packages from Hawaii or Cali-bred imitations of it. Those Haze packages from Hawaii commanded absolutely the top prices in every market they landed in so I expect every grower in Cali in the late 60s and early 70s was trying to cash-in on the Haze name by selling their own Colombian/Mexican/Thai hybrids as Haze.

I'm told there was a very distinctive taste to those BOEL Haze shipments that is not easily found in seed versions of Haze that have come along since.

Whatever survives in NYC to this day may well be Haze, but to me, it's just as likely that some old Mexican/Colombian genes from another origin also survive and are still being grown and sold. Many Mexicans will finish well outside the tropics and it is very definitely possible to acclimate a tropical plant to a more northerly latitude over years.

The big mystery in all this NYC Haze talk is Neville. He bought a seed collection from an old hippie in NYC in the mid 80s and he claimed his '1969 Haze Bros Haze' came from this purchase. However, I am pretty sure Neville's 'Haze' wasn't the same as the other Hazes we know from Sam, OT1 and Tom Hill, I see Colombian and Thai influences in Neville's version which makes me suspect what he called Haze was actually a Colombian/Thai hybrid. Only Neville really knows where his Haze genes came from, there are a multitude of possible origins besides Haze, there were a ton of Colombian and Thai hybrids in Australia in the 70s and 80s, and many survive to this day. Maybe Neville had a stunning Aussie Colombian/Thai hybrid like Mullumbimbi Madness and knew it was better for his breeding purposes than the polyhybrid mixed bag that was/is Haze, so he just renamed it Haze and that is where all his Haze hybrids come from.

So yeah, there are some great Colombian genes in NYC, but whether they are from Haze or elsewhere, who knows?

okay first lets talk about the story happyhi posted SAMS has not commented which is interesting becaz no one has made such claims especially without sams responding ,in short he sayin the story was fabricated but true to an extent
it really makes sense if you think about how sam speaks of the haze in responses for example

I have not worked Original Haze as much as tried to save it, I collected as much seed as I could in the early 70's grew them and did free pollinations and did minimal selection to ensure I saved as many genes as I could. That was in the 70's & 80's now I have clones for the last 20 years. My O Haze is not done being worked on that is why I tell people to use it as breeding materials.

we all know
your correct about the punto rojo and cg not being the same ,the older folks are set in their ways you cant tell em nothin LOL

your also correct about SAMS responding to raco wen asked wat colombians were used in the makin of ohaze if i recall he said wackyweed and CG

but

as for the #4 fourth variety of ohaze comparison is just that a comparison as to HH experiences if you read below he uses the word probably and goes on to apologize for specifics

comparison as to happyhi experiences

4. green/brown- this plant had the most incense smell and was probably the most like old school high altitude mexican. i can't remember how the taste was different except that it was old school tasting, not as sweet more musky.
These memories are old as am i, so my apologies if they aren't as descriptive as some.

dj short strains of yesteryear quote
Highland Gold, somewhat similar to the Colombian Gold,
It was some of my all-time favorite because the aroma and flavor were of a super-spicy cedar incense with a slight fermented berry taste

as too the #1 variety of ohaze yes the juicy fruit aroma is found in highland thai but the red sap is noted to be found in PUNTO ROJO if i recall which i believe also has somthin to due with the name red point caz of the reddish pistils

as for #2 i agree SAMS has spoke of a med dark purp that tasted like rootbeer

an interesting post i found from a landrace thread

To complicate things a bit, the above punto rojo description was typically referred as Colombian Gold by dealers, whereas punto rojo was said to be a more cristal clear, mind expanding smoke. I guess the terms were exchanged by not being certain on what was on those bricks, or plain mumbo jumboness by whomever sold it. But I'm quite certain of the qualities of what I've smoked.

I'm told there was a very distinctive taste to those BOEL Haze shipments that is not easily found in seed versions of Haze that have come along since

id lov to hear all about those taste/aromas

as i said i remember BH puttin up info on boel but nothin very definetive,THIS IS ALL NEW NEWS of a legendary Dragon-labelled haze comin via hawaii

you speak as if theres a boel haze thread on ic LOL

have you experienced this haze durin the 60's?
what sources does this info come from anythin solid?

The haze lines such as SAMS /neville haze/OT's haze all reportedly share the incense som are more commonly found then others but many have reported this

quote from reef
Hello the haze bro's or pure haze is a tall lanky pure sativa it has huge spaces between the internodes and stretches in a huge way .
No I do not know the haze bro's this strain was given to me by a old timer in Rotterdam that owns a greenhouse who has maintained it for many years since the mid 80's .
The smell is pretty much like cats piss and sandle wood .
The strain has never been hybridized and really still has lots of vigor for being so inbred I really don't know many generations it was inbred in holland .

this description is what ive thought to be the fourth variety ,its what id call a good description of frankies .SAMS has not acknowledge the incense trait as long as ive been online,but hes respoonsible for bring the haze too holland soo it leaves more questions.
RM

its a shame many strains are throughly documented ,but the most famous strain of all time is not

its sad we dont have much info on the oldschool hazes that neville used as parents for more than 75% of the haze on the market today ,but if you known anything about the parents such as A5 C5 ,you'll kno the haze A male parent has much in common with our nyc haze traits ,the dark leather, basment,spicy,incense traits

IMO neville did use a different haze stock than sams and i agree the colombian and thai genes really shine threw in the NH ,but note the neville haze i DONT beieve is known to be sweet as is our nyc haze youll neva find a fruity or sweet haze in NYC.IMO many of the nyc hazes ive com across resemble colombians and also trade mark thai foxtails ,soo its coincedince or just more connecting the dots

as for the nh incorparating MM i truly doubt this as shanti claims he was in aussie while the work was being done on MM and neville was in NL with his oldschool hazes being worked on .also im sure shanti would have mention this as he stands behind the story of the 3 haze parents and simply says proofs in the pudding

i started a thread at mns FRANKINCENSE TRAIT IN HAZE

shanti only reply was this I must add that I believe certain aromas are attributed to certain land races if the selection is fair.all the best Sb

Colombian Gold came from the highland Colombian valleys near the equator, as well as on the coast (the Caribbean and the Pacific
The color and cure were unique, and the aroma, flavor and high were equally so. The smell was that of sandalwood incense, almost like frankincense. The flavor was that of a peppery cedar

were definetly on point with the colombian genes in nyc haez and also mention that shanti has said somthin as too MM taste/aromas resembled pure sativas hes exp .soo as the same fashion with the ohaze makin crossing the best sativas was MM created and soo we might have a taste of the 70's in NYC

its been a pleasure

1luvbigherb

indifferent

Veteran
I'll have to ask if it's okay to name the names who told me the Hawaii/BOEL tales, they are offline people and might not want to be named.

I have the full Senate Papers on the BOEL hearings somewhere, I shall have to dig it out and have a look for more info.

I've got a fair bit of experience of growing and smoking highland Mexis and lumbos and while there are similarities to the tastes, I find the Mexis are more cedar, beech, woodsy, pine, the best ones were like pine needles with a bit of gasoline dripped on them. Some others were minty and menthol, but I am pretty sure they weren't highland types.

Highland Colombians are also kinda woodsy, but have a more spicy, sandalwood, incense type smell/taste.

Hard to explain in words the differences and similarities, but to me, there is a distinct difference between highland Mexis and Highland Lumbos, sure they are similarities too.

I've never found anything remotely sweet or fruity from those Mexis and Lumbos I speak about, so to me, the parts of the Haze palette other than the ones I just described in Mexi and Lumbo types must be from the South Indian and Thai.

Reef's description, well sandalwood is from Colombian, catpiss is probably from Thai, lowland Thais were often very lemony/catpiss.