Originally Posted by aridbud
Agree with you, Skunkist. Appeared soil too dense. Possibly competed with peas.
I really wish I knew exactly what it was that I did wrong on this one, I grew a nicer WWBB in 1 gallon container last summer and thats about half the size of this box of dirt.
Every seed out of the 10 pack of WWBB so far (I have one seed left) has been exceptional as far as it's abilities to either handle cool weather or take advantage of peak summer growing conditions, but somehow or other I figured out a way to screw up this one a little bit.
This plant is the first one I grew with a legume so thats why I think excess nitrogen from the pea plant was what went wrong, all the other plants have been grown without competition from aggressive neighbors.
Overwatering was my next guess.
I realized that the peas had get pulled in the middle of hot stretch of over 90º days about two weeks ago when I was watering every daily. All the white pistils went orange that day so I knew I had to change something, so I pulled out the pea plant.
Since then foliage stopped dropping so quickly and theres new pistil growth and the weather has only been 75º or so and whats left of the plant seems to be behaving normally, so I expect to be left with a smaller collection of nice flowers than I could have by quite a bit. I got an ounce out of the 1 gallon container last summer so I'll be able to estimate the damage I did to this one pretty exactly in a few weeks.
I didn't track my pea harvest, but they must've been pretty good.