Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 AM #41
hyposomniac

hyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nicehyposomniac is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolem View Post
The pH charts posted by DC have been the scientific model for many years. Used throughout the Ag community and and the USDA.

This link might help.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/F...2p2_053293.pdf
Thanks for the link, it's a nice chart and it references where it came from, and that manual may describe the process of determining their chart, which would be most interesting. I will look into it. It is also a soil chart..

Now I did not see a chart posted by DC, that you make reference too. I look forward to seeing that chart.

I want to make sure we're all looking at the same material.
hyposomniac is offline Quote

Old 10-17-2018, 11:55 PM #42
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
I actually haven't posted any charts yet, and don't even have any links to them for sharing. They're readily available online with a quick search <hydroponic pH chart>.

I don't trust any of them for pinpoint accuracy and treat them as a general guide. What's known is the 5.3-6.0 root-zone pH needs for cannabis. The charts make it easier to see what's general available and not at each range.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:50 PM #43
xavier7995

xavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nicexavier7995 is just really nice
Good thread DC. I always enjoy your posts, you give the best description of what i consider good weed. I dont think my grows are there yet, but its nice to see something as an ideal target. Appreciate the tips on getting there.

Instagram: xavier7995
xavier7995 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 PM #44
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Thanks for stopping in, xavier7995. I'm glad you enjoy what I share and look forward to your progress. When you're exhaling massive flavor and aroma, it's difficult not to smile. lol

You'll get there.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:39 PM #45
Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really nice
Alright. I agree that companies want you to use as much of their products as possible. Even more. They'd like it if you just bought and dumped it down the drain in 55 gallon drums. I get that.
But there's also a sound, logical argument against the method you're describing.
There is no way to know how much of which nutrients have been used by the plants and therefore no way to add them back accordingly. Doing so arbitrarily will result in an imbalance.
This is the main reason we change the reservoir.
If you can logically explain how you're overcoming this dilemma, it would save countless growers an immeasurable amount of time and money. Me included. Not to mention the increase in hetb quality.
I'm not saying that the entire hydroponic community is right and you're wrong, I'm just suggesting that it's possible.
I do believe that we could possibly be using too much nutrients and am in the process of experimenting with lower levels. Our biggest problem with experimentation is the sheer cost as our reservoir is 100 gallons.
Dirt Bag is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2018, 02:51 AM #46
Douglas.Curtis

You're using a massive amount more nutrients and water than you need. This is the difference between a properly balanced nutrient profile and one which is not.

To drastically over-simplify it:
When you're given a plate with steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans, anything you don't need or won't eat is left over. Too much beans, and your plate comes back with beans left on it. Not enough of one or more items and though the plate is empty, you're still hungry.

When the mix is balanced and of the correct strength for the needs of the plant, there is no excess or deficiency. The plate comes back clean and the plant is full. While the exact balance varies depending on conditions and strains, a general base formula has been used successfully by growers for decades now. 122-99-171-68 N-P-K-Mg is what's been tossed around and it's what I've been using for 15+ years.

When this is used with a full pH swing in the root zone, allowing each element a period of full absorption, there is so little left over from errors it doesn't matter. When you add the balanced mix back to replace what the plants have used, it's all in balance. When you use a natural pH swing, without any manual pH adjustments, there is no build up of pH up/down elements from this source.

This is what cleaner cannabis is all about. This is the 20+ year old tech I'm working on teaching more folks about. This is what the common hydro community doesn't understand, and the ignorance the mfg's take advantage of. They sell a hell of a lot more nutes when folks dump their res every two weeks, that's for sure.

Do your own testing (I recommend a smaller personal grow, perhaps?) and reap the rewards for yourself.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:30 AM #47
Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really niceDirt Bag is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
You're using a massive amount more nutrients and water than you need. This is the difference between a properly balanced nutrient profile and one which is not.

To drastically over-simplify it:
When you're given a plate with steak, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans, anything you don't need or won't eat is left over. Too much beans, and your plate comes back with beans left on it. Not enough of one or more items and though the plate is empty, you're still hungry.

When the mix is balanced and of the correct strength for the needs of the plant, there is no excess or deficiency. The plate comes back clean and the plant is full. While the exact balance varies depending on conditions and strains, a general base formula has been used successfully by growers for decades now. 122-99-171-68 N-P-K-Mg is what's been tossed around and it's what I've been using for 15+ years.

When this is used with a full pH swing in the root zone, allowing each element a period of full absorption, there is so little left over from errors it doesn't matter. When you add the balanced mix back to replace what the plants have used, it's all in balance. When you use a natural pH swing, without any manual pH adjustments, there is no build up of pH up/down elements from this source.

This is what cleaner cannabis is all about. This is the 20+ year old tech I'm working on teaching more folks about. This is what the common hydro community doesn't understand, and the ignorance the mfg's take advantage of. They sell a hell of a lot more nutes when folks dump their res every two weeks, that's for sure.

Do your own testing (I recommend a smaller personal grow, perhaps?) and reap the rewards for yourself. View Image
And how do you obtain 122-99-171-68 N-P-K-Mg with GH Flora?
Dirt Bag is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2018, 05:19 PM #48
Hydro8

Hydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bag View Post
There is no way to know how much of which nutrients have been used by the plants and therefore no way to add them back accordingly. Doing so arbitrarily will result in an imbalance.
This is the main reason we change the reservoir.
This is one of the big flaws of Douglas.Curtis PH swing "method". I suspect his plants are starving for certain nutrients so the swing the PH searching for them.

If this was a real scientific experiment Douglas.Curtis would be testing and replacing the depleted nutes in his old spend solutions. I highly doubt that he has this type of equipment or knowledge that extends to that level.

The reality is old nutrient solution, deprived plants and a big enough ego that anything one does is magical.
Hydro8 is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 PM #49
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really nice
I don't blame yall for being skeptical.

I've been peddlin pot since before I had hair on my nuts, and I feel very fortunate to have met and gotten to know the man who grew the best smoke that I've ever seen.

He grows using this same methodology, except instead of topping off with nutes, he does change out his nutrient solution every week. He also utilizes cane sugar or blackstrap with hygrozyme throughout flower.

I wouldn't be sitting here talkin smack if that smoke wasn't so so so so so so so so so much better than everything else I've ever seen. The only thing I have to contribute to this forum is a steadfast confirmation that when done right, this technique produces other-wordly buds that make the status-quo look like a bad joke.

Also.. there are a ton of people here who don't dump and grow dank. Which begs the question, how familiar are the naysayers here with the forum?
Bobby Boucher is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2018, 06:44 PM #50
Hydro8

Hydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really niceHydro8 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
Also.. there are a ton of people here who don't dump and grow dank. Which begs the question, how familiar are the naysayers here with the forum?
Cannabis is a weed, it will grow in almost anything. It is fine to not dump your tanks the plant will survive it is when you start claiming your "method" is the only true one for dank pot you invite people calling you out on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
I've been peddlin pot since before I had hair on my nuts, and I feel very fortunate to have met and gotten to know the man who grew the best smoke that I've ever seen.
"peddlin pot" and having no hair on your nuts is not something that brings credibility to an adult discussion.
Hydro8 is offline Quote