Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2018, 05:04 PM #11
hush
Se˝or Member

hush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud of
Pythium grows best at pH of 6 to 7, but also survives at pH of 5 and 8. So it's a red herring to focus on pH. Pythium is a parasite that generally is introduced by vectors, most commonly fungus gnats, which suggests that humidity, moisture, drainage, and air flow are really where one wants to look to prevent pythium from occurring.
hush is offline Quote

Old 09-29-2018, 09:04 PM #12
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush View Post
Pythium grows best at pH of 6 to 7, but also survives at pH of 5 and 8. So it's a red herring to focus on pH. Pythium is a parasite that generally is introduced by vectors, most commonly fungus gnats, which suggests that humidity, moisture, drainage, and air flow are really where one wants to look to prevent pythium from occurring.

Indeed. I attribute my success to exactly what you describe. I use filtered air (high micron filtration), high rates of air flow, low humidity and low temps. I stop almost everything from coming in, then keep the environment unsuitable for easy germination.

Preserves terps too.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:15 PM #13
Vanilla Phoenix
Super Lurker

Vanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivorVanilla Phoenix is a survivor
Great info in here.
Vanilla Phoenix is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:43 PM #14
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future

Old 09-29-2018, 09:52 PM #15
GingerBeard

GingerBeard will become famous soon enough
Douglas,

Thanks for the initial post. Do you use reservoir drop as a proxy measure for transpiration? Do you factor in dehumidifier output?

As a grow progresses and transpiration drops - Have you decreased/manipulated to maintain high transpiration?

Thanks!
GingerBeard is offline Quote

Old 09-29-2018, 09:53 PM #16
GingerBeard

GingerBeard will become famous soon enough
Above should read: decreased/manipulated RH...
GingerBeard is offline Quote

Old 09-29-2018, 10:01 PM #17
WelderDan

WelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant futureWelderDan has a brilliant future
I figured this out by accident, mostly due to laziness. Got to the point I never needed PH up or down. Even quit using the PH meter altogether. Nutes brought my tap water down to 5.4 - 5.5. By the time the rez got low (DWC) it was up to 6.1 - 6.2. All I did was mix a new batch and fill buckets.

Added bonus: As the nute level drops, the roots get exposed to the moist air in the bucket. I quit using air stones, just weighed down the hoses with steel nuts. I gave up an hydrotron too. Got sick of washing it, slipping on it and finding it everywhere. Went with a slice of pool noodle and wedged the plant in with a few slivers of noodle. Plant sits on the bottom branches. The only downside is you have to tie the plant off so it doesn't tip over. 3 drywall screws in the lid fixes that.

I couldn't believe I spent so much time fretting over PH levels, not to mention the extra cost of PH adjusters.

Cherry Bomb x C99

"To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of Bullshit."

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
WelderDan is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:11 AM #18
Douglas.Curtis

@GingerBeard Yes, I use the drop in nutrient level as the main indicator of transpiration rate. I don't use dehuey's (yet), so I don't have data on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelderDan View Post
I figured this out by accident, mostly due to laziness. Got to the point I never needed PH up or down. Even quit using the PH meter altogether. Nutes brought my tap water down to 5.4 - 5.5.
It sounds like your tap water has enough of something to act just like the amount of pH up I use. I can see how that would be very convenient.

This might work with your neighbor, but possibly not for anyone 5 to 10 miles away from you. Tap water is highly variable and what works for you won't work for most. Depending on what's in your water, you may find a higher quality end product by switching to r/o. If it's 'just' the pH adjustment elements, there may be no change.

Glad it works for you. Seriously. Around here there's a huge pH/tds change in the tap-water around mid-fall. About a month before harvest season. If you want your plants to stay healthy using tap, you really have to pay attention and compensate for it.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:34 AM #19
OG_NoMan

OG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to allOG_NoMan is a name known to all
For what ever reason my tap ph drops in @February for about a month or 2 and then goes back to normal. When it drops I don't need to PH anything without the drop I need to PH down about .5

[COLOR=""][COLOR=""][COLOR=""]We are the no men in no mans land![/color][/color][/color]
OG_NoMan is offline Quote

Old 09-30-2018, 02:50 AM #20
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant future
I do small grows, micro style, and have seen the light.

My yields are somewhat consistant for my style,
but attention to pH variation and EC have elevated quality
of any given yield.

Very good thread.

2 members found this post helpful.