What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gibberellic acid reversal, seeds Hermaphroditic.

Darpa

I am presently working on a breeding projet which include a cross of Biker Kush X Gorilla Wreck... (((Hell angel og x SFV OG kush) x ((Original Glue 4 x (GSC forum x Arcata TrainWreck))) and I am facing the same challenge in excluding the sensitive the Xm allele from the project. Both the Original Glue 4 and the Arcata TrainWreck were not true female to start with…. Under stable environment condition, there is no female inflorescence. However, a strategic breeding project involving stressing the plant is crucial in order to reduce to the minimum the event of herma plant ruining your crop… This process is time consuming and require to keep viable sample of every plant you use in the selection process…. At the end, it only a question of plant genetic, but it need some dedication and hard work…..

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
DARPA, whoops, you are quite right, it seems my brain suffered a short circuit somewhere, and interpreted GA as colchicine. Highly embarrassing, nice catch sir. However, it also seems I haven't done any reading at all on GA, and would appreciate the offer of a decent paper on the effects of GA. Not sure how that black hole in my knowledge has escaped me for so long. I am appropriately red faced.

Darpa

Hi GMT, there is several scientific publication of GA effect on plant but here some specific to the cannabis.. some are old but still good…

Mansouri, H. , Asrar, Z. and Mehrabani, M. (2009), Effects of Gibberellic Acid on Primary Terpenoids and Δ9‐Tetrahydrocannabinol in Cannabis sativa at Flowering Stage. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology, 51: 553-561. doi:10.1111/j.1744-7909.2009.00833.x

The response of terpenoids to exogenous gibberellic acid in Cannabis sativa L. at vegetative stage, Acta Physiologiae Plantarum, 2011, Volume 33, Number 4, Page 1085
Hakimeh Mansouri, Zahra Asrar, Ryszard Amarowicz

Comparative effect of silver ion and gibberellic acid on the induction of male flowers on femaleCannabis plants, Experientia, 1979, Volume 35, Number 3, Page 333
G. Sarath, H. Y. Mohan Ram

Induction of male flowers on female plants of Cannabis sativa by gibberellins and its inhibition by abscisic acid, Planta, 1972, Volume 105, Number 3, Page 263
H. Y. Mohan Ram, V. S. Jaiswal

The hormonal control of sex differentiation in dioecious plants of hemp (Cannabis sativd). The influence of plant growth regulators on sex expression in male and female plants

Raho

Veteran
So 10 years ago i used Gibberellic acid on my Lavender plant. Collected the pollen. Hit 2 plants with the same pollen.

One plant hit was itself, a " lavender" plant we got from a san fran dispo like 2005ish. then i hit my bag seed plant Early pearl.

At the time the early pearl was a great plant, an 10 years later if i still had the original i can only speculate that it would hold its own today with the 20+ other lines im holding. at the least it is upsetting to myself an others that early pearl cut was lost. i have searched through a few leads with no luck

A few years ago when i grew out the lavender x lavender (R) plants they where all female, no actual lower balls. maybe a few top bananas.... top top cola bananas probably from high heat or light stress.

now i started the early pearl x lavender (R) 24 seeds , 22 popped. lost like 6 afterwards to damping off most likely caused from being over watered. A fungi like circle grew at the base of the stem an surrounding soil. The rest that made it grew healthy with no known problems. I just flipped 9 plants

so the first 4 plants showed ballls balls balls with no female pistols. I immediately thought how could this be to have full blown males.
I thought maybe i mislabeled the seed bag, or maybe i put some early pearl seeds i may have found during previous trims into the same bag. but i doubt i would have done that, in fact im pretty sure i would never do that an simply keep separate and label accordingly

the remanding 5 plants show female pistols and no balls. fast forward 20 days. 2 are now showing a few lower sacks.

is it possible the g acid levels carried over in the seed are enough to effect the offspring? if so could the clones possibly become more stable once the g-acid levels are lowered as the cut is grown out? Or is it just the early pearl genetics are not as stable compared to the first cross made?

thoughts? Have you experienced anything similar with g-acid, one cross was stable and the others not.
Whatever happened with this Lavender Pearl project G?
Seems like something the world would want to smoke today.
And by "the world" . . . I mean ME.
:greenstars:

gmanwho

Veteran
Whatever happened with this Lavender Pearl project G?
Seems like something the world would want to smoke today.
And by "the world" . . . I mean ME.
:greenstars:
pearl is long gone. i do have those early pearl seeds you gave me;)

there are some speculative early pearl s1's and or accidental fem crosses of her. in due time...

bsafe man!!

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In similar situations I would recommend using STS and search for stable offspring the next two generations... then backcross to early pearl males of good repute. ;)

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
There are rumours, but I don't know yet if it's just bro science, that G.A. inhibits rearrangement at meiosis. Not sure how meiosis can take place without it, but any comments?

clearheaded

glad u guys figured out GA is not mutagenic. certainly hormone/hormone like activity, so not something u want to consume in high quantities. likely heard it was mutagenic from a hippie who prefered no fems seeds ;) speculating.

Also despite bag seed being bread with another strain and it not producing herms does not mean it did not pass on traits. ie the f2 would likely start to show more herms.. but as is the case teh herm bagseed bread with a more hermi plant likely yeilded the herms ie selected for herms in 1 parent. classic mandolorian genetics explains this ;) digging the obi kenobi series lol

Cerathule

There are rumours, but I don't know yet if it's just bro science, that G.A. inhibits rearrangement at meiosis. Not sure how meiosis can take place without it, but any comments?
Without alternative splicing the outcome of meiosis would be the same as mitosis. That would make clonal seeds, an interesting thematic. But I don't think GA has the power to induce that, none of the reviews mentioned it.

Reactions: GMT

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Close but not exactly, since the new cell created would have DNA from two sources, not just the parental cell. You could argue every cell has that, but you know what I mean.
All the seeds could be neatly divided into 4 phenos.
I don't buy it either to be honest, but my knowledge of G.A. is somewhat non existent.

Latest posts

Latest posts