Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Root rot prevention in rockwool?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Root rot prevention in rockwool? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM #11
samiam

samiam will become famous soon enoughsamiam will become famous soon enough
I have a chiller on my res set to 68f.
I'm going to try mixing the mini cubes with some rice hulls.
samiam is offline Quote

Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 PM #12
samiam

samiam will become famous soon enoughsamiam will become famous soon enough
I'm gonna try putting the pots into a root tapper bag to help insulate and reflect the light from the pot like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180813_125752854.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	465977
samiam is offline Quote

Old 08-30-2018, 06:29 AM #13
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
I can only offer my observations, I don't know why this works but it does for me. I made my own simple hydroponic setup from stuff I bought from the hardware store because I'm growing in a bedroom in my house and any other kind of soil or medium is too messy and hard to deal with.
I cut my own rockwool blocks from slabs to fit my pots. The cuts are rooted in small rockwool cubes then transplanted to the rockwool in the pots for veg. There is nothing else in my pots no clay or anything just the rockwool.
The pump runs 24/7 so the roots are constantly wet even when the light is off and I don't have the problems described here. I'll clarify this and say the roots are always wet but not submerged in water, it's constantly draining. They are also exposed to air. The res also has 2 air pumps so the nutrients contain oxygen as well. The rockwool in the pots stays relatively dry not waterlogged anyway.
I'm certainly not trying to say I'm right just that this has worked consistently for me. Better than the systems I've bought from hydroponics shops anyway.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:06 AM #14
Mlewis1987

Mlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really niceMlewis1987 is just really nice
I just switched from rock wool myself because of these issues. I no that guys have great results with it so there is no denying that. I personally just couldn’t figure it out. Always had moisture problems so I don’t even root my cuts in it anymore. Anyways good luck brother hope you get it straightened out
Mlewis1987 is offline Quote

Old 09-02-2018, 09:29 PM #15
Dirrtybirdy

Dirrtybirdy is on a distinguished road
I always water with water that's less than 76 degrees. Preferably 70-72 degrees. Easiest possible way to chill your res is to grab 2 1 gallon jugs and freeze them overnight. Put it in 30 minutes before you start feeding. Should be cool enough feed.
Dirrtybirdy is offline Quote

Old 10-14-2018, 12:26 AM #16
frostqueen

frostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nicefrostqueen is just really nice
I use an enzymatic cleanser called Z7 and haven't had root rot in years. Half a ml per gallon and you're set.
frostqueen is offline Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 12:21 AM #17
azad
Buzkashi

azad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to beholdazad is a splendid one to behold
I love Rockwool 1" rooting cubes WELL rooted transfer to the large 4"cubes and onto NFT hydroponics. if your ph is on point and you root them well then there is nothing that compares. fail the 1st stage is where most have problems that continue.

Ask the Humming bird about the significance of the flowers.
what would a Vulture know about their significance who feeds on the dead..

https://youtu.be/dqGdWoW-GT8
azad is offline Quote

Old 10-16-2018, 12:31 AM #18
Oliver Pantsoff

Oliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of lightOliver Pantsoff is a glorious beacon of light
When I ran hydro DWC, I would keep the water temp low and add hygrozyme. Never saw any root rot...

OP
Oliver Pantsoff is offline Quote