What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

K.I.S.S. vs Lucas formula?

LostTribe

Premium user
So I started to refresh myself on Lucas formula and have found a post stating GH micro and bloom are mostly water and that people are using just calmag+ with Maxibloom with better results.

I haven't used anything but PBP formulas before with additives and want to know if a lot of folks are trying the maxi bloom and calmag+ or still using the 2/3 part lucas formula.

Wasn't the old school theory to use 100-100-200-15?? That is not close to 5-15-14 last time I checked my math....I searched and cannot locate mel franks or ed rosenthal's npk profile think this was franks.....

I have a 6 year old bottle of gh flora bloom but think it has expired looking for something easy for my mom's.....1 part sorta plug and play style.

RockinRobot

I've heard of a lot of folks switching from GH to Maxi Bloom and Jack's. For myself I prefer the liquid ferts as it is easier for me. I use Lucas formula with add back. Never could figure out how to do add back properly with Maxi bloom or Jack's and I don't like dumping res weekly and wasting nutes.

Ravenboy

Add back with jacks:
Assuming you want a higher PPM
Take the PLM you are now and the PPM you are wanting to go to

Subtract them

So let's say you are at 600 and want to go to 675 PPM

Difference is 75

divide by 5.... 15

Multiply by 3 for the inncrease due to jacks and two for the calcnit

45 for jacks
30 for calcinit

It ads up to 75ppm total increase

Now a meter and go do it

Volume of res has no effect this way , using a meter you can raise ppm in a few easily

To lower add water using a meter . I don't use ro water , just tap, the final mix is close enough for me

LostTribe

Premium user
what the hay is jacks?

I am kinda tired of running so many different bottles if I could just have 1 it would be TITS!

RockinRobot

what the hay is jacks?

I am kinda tired of running so many different bottles if I could just have 1 it would be TITS!

Jack's is a dry fertilizer made by JR Peters. It's still a 2 part mix as it must be combined with their cal nit. I've heard a lot of good things about it but as I said in earlier post I have stayed away from dry chems as add back is a bit more difficult for me.

A quick form search will give you an idea of what people think of it.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Bullshit if calmag+Maxibloom is better than GH micro + Bloom.:biggrin: Tried both for years. Lucas is 8-16, you run the Micro+Bloom at 6/9 for best results.

LostTribe

Premium user
Bullshit if calmag+Maxibloom is better than GH micro + Bloom.:biggrin: Tried both for years. Lucas is 8-16, you run the Micro+Bloom at 6/9 for best results.

So which do you think is better? I know lots do the 2 part gh micro + gh bloom for lucas but someone has a 4000 post thread about only using Maxibloom!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
It has 4000 pages because it's simple, cheap and works real well. Not because it's the best. A lot of us think GH 6/9 is better. Just as easy to mix a 2 part liquid as it is to mix Maxibloom. I thought Canna A+B was better than 6/9. Then I started using V+B RO/Soft and bingo- I'm done looking for the best nutes:biggrin:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
8:16 and Epsom here.

I've used Maxibloom and it's close to a newbie-proof nute. Have to admit I've never used cal-mag with it, just epsom, same as with the original lucas mix. I don't do add-backs, my top-offs are with plain r/o. I get the full pH swing from 5.4 to 5.8 when the plants are decreasing the strength of the solution. (I use roots-in hydro like dwc)

pH changes are done through adding nutes all at once, when the pH hits 5.8.

LostTribe

Premium user
I am interested in the maxi just for veg and keeping moms so I think i will grab some to use for a bit.

LostTribe

Premium user
Shit I already grabbed the Bloom but they said it had plenty of N for veg I will try it out.

gardener60

Lost Tribe i am a newbie grower and i use the GH Micro and Bloom alone at 8-16 and my last grow i got 2 oz. which doesn't say much, and i didn't know what the hell i was doing but i finally pulled it off after headaches of mass reading and post, this year i am doing 6-9 with better lights, mylar, fans, exhaust, and a more controlled environment.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
There's plenty of Mg in there. I think it could use a bit more calcium.
Ya know, I've been using it for years and I believe you're correct. Though adding "Grow" brings too much of other elements with it, adding calcium nitrate may be just the ticket.

I'm experimenting with adding 100ppm of Cal-Nit from the Jack's company. That's 50ppm of nitrogen and about 56ppm of calcium. I tested it on some soil plants and already like the additional calcium. I haven't noticed the nitrogen being 'too much' yet, but further testing will be needed. heh

Should it work the way I'm expecting, I'll be adding it to both my base Lucas mix and my Maxibloom mums/veg plants. :) I'm predicting it to be less prone to root rot in late flower, when nutritional needs drop and oil production ramps up.

(Edit: I found KNF water soluble calcium to be superior to Jacks calnit. Super easy and inexpensive to make at home.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts