What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

tommyl

So we now offer two versions of the extractor. One made domestically with dual certified 304/304l low carbon stainless with visible weld marks or one made with 304 stainless with no visible weld marks. your choice. 304/304L dual certified stainless is a very low carbon "18-8" austenitic chromium-nickel steel with good corrosion resistance and superior resistance to intergranular corrosion following welding or stress relieving. The low carbon content limits the formation of harmful carbides to such an extent that this grade may be safely used for most operations of welded construction, and where the service temperature is limited to 800° F.

tommyl

2 turntables and a dynasty 350

2 turntables and a dynasty 350

everything is pulsed on turntable with a dynasty 350,

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG04361.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG04361.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG04341.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG04341.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0101.jpg
    DSCN0101.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0102.jpg
    DSCN0102.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN0103.jpg
    DSCN0103.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0104.jpg
    DSCN0104.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0105.jpg
    DSCN0105.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 12

triple3

Hey all,

So I have some experience here because I've run a lot of these machines. I have an MK IIIa from specialized formulations, a 2.5lb BHOgart, and a hybrid mk3-mk5 design that I had custom made.

My opinion of the BHOgart is generally neutral.

Problems I've had with the BHOgart:

1) Leaking sight glass. A new one was sent out and arrived in 4 days. Apparently there were some quality control issues from the manufacturer and he changed manufacturers.

2) Leaking fittings on the recovery tank. Oops. The fitting itself is leaking and he said some of them need washers and some don't. I guess I'm on the 'need' side. The leak is between the threads and the flare fitting(NOT a weld). Either way I'm not really impressed by home made recovery tanks. My recovery tank has TIG welds btw and my partner tells me they look well done(I can't comment I've never welded).

Thoughts on customer service: BHOgart has been 100% responsive to texts and usually responds within 15 minutes. I try to be clear about my problem and not abrasive or rude. Honey attracts more flies than water, ya know?

When I got my Mk3a from specialized formulations I had a lot of issues too. Assembling the compression fitting, getting that pipe to fit, and of course the leaks.

How do you pressure test a terpenator or a bhogart? No one will hold your hand. If you've never used an air compressor before its time to learn on your own.

Documentation: Both skunkpharm and bhogart are lacking here. There is the video on fb for bhogart that is helpful but more needs to be done. I cut GW a lot more slack here because he's sharing what he's doing and he's not a business. That said, if you actually try to put together an MK3a from the skunkpharm website you are going to run into some interesting issues...lid machining diagrams list incorrect sizes, hose recommendations haven't been updated(blew $50 on some bad hoses), the diagram of how the mk2 works is confusing/incorrect/unlabeled(you pick), the operating instructions are unclear, etc. When it's time to run one it's a lot more involved than just following the instructions. Oh, and safety instructions and maintenance information...? Not provided.

No matter what path you choose you are getting into a serious project and you are EXPECTED to take ownership of the project.

For me that means pressure testing everything daily, doing gasket inspections regularly, etc.

Stuff will go wrong with either system. You absolutely cannot rely on GW or BHOgart or the community at large to tell you everything you need to know.

Price: The terpenator obviously wins here....but delivery time from specialized formulations for us was 3 months last year(it's probably improved). The BHOgart arrived in 4 days. You could build a 2.5lb BHOgart under $1000. I bought one anyways. Why? It saved me about 25 hours of time planning all the part purchases and I basically looked at it as a $1500 support package. Paying someone else means I get to ask them questions when stuff goes wrong and benefit from their experience.

"Buy your first extractor, build your second."
Hi, i lost the last two messages due to a "token being expired"? Not sure what that is but i am getting very close to purchasing my first closed loop system and would love to hear any pearls of wisdom from someone like yourself who has used several different machines.
I am looking at the mid to large sized Bhogart,the Mark3a and some folks who are building a Mark1a as well as the Extractiontek unit http://extractiontek.com/products/extractor/
I have as yet to get a price on the Extractiontek but from my newbie eyes it seems to have a similar large diameter column and no return line from the collection pot as does the Bhogart units.
I have read so much on closed loop systems and would like to buy a safe/tested productive unit.I know i'd like to buy a mature type product with clear instructions but this is a new market area. I'm hoping not to troubleshoot.
In your opinion does the design differences between these models warrant much attention? ie: would there be a yield difference loss with top shower/large diameter columns?
thanks

kronus

I am interested in this system but worried about faulty tanks to cause explosions

Being this is my first closed loop system I do not know how to check for faulty stuff and don't want to risk getting blown up

Has the faulty tanks been fixed and BHOGART system safe to purchase??

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
That Extractiontek unit looks sick. The Caresaver alone is 1850, though.

triple3

i got a price back on the Extractiontek-way out of my price range but would still be great for a storefront/dispensory/insurance purposes.
Down to a Bhogart or Mark3/Mark1
I am also worried about safety and would like a pre inspected system
I would love to see a shootout with GW or the like running the exact same starting materials as per directions to get an idea of the two units potential design differences....

tommyl

bhogart has been going through 20 extractors plus a week. our system is very easy to use cost effective and delivers killer results. We notice our customers winning the 710 cups all over denver and portland. Our extractors are much larger than the terpenator and process more faster. and they are more flexible on trim tube selection. here are our og extractors where it all started from back in 2010 .

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG00361.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG00361.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG00401.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG00401.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 9

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bhogart has been going through 20 extractors plus a week. our system is very easy to use cost effective and delivers killer results. We notice our customers winning the 710 cups all over denver and portland. Our extractors are much larger than the terpenator and process more faster. and they are more flexible on trim tube selection. here are our og extractors where it all started from back in 2010 .

The manual Mk V beta prototype is coming on line this week, with the automated unit close behind. It processes 5# per run and uses dual pumps, so it will be interesting to see how the two compare.

It will run anything from 1 1/2" ID tubes, to 4", so flexibility shouldn't be a question, and we actually run from 6" to 36" X 1 1/2" tubes on the Mk IIIA, and the Mk I & II run from 1 1/2" X 6", to 3" X 36".

A 4" X 36" tube will also work on the Mk V, giving it a dual tube capacity of about 7.5# per run.

If'n ya'll are up for a direct shoot out, we'ns will be happy to oblige you. Got any in this neck of the woods?

tommyl

there are about 20 units in the portland/ eugene area

there are about 20 units in the portland/ eugene area

Bhogart has shipped over 20 extractors to Oregon alone . so we know they are there in your neck of the woods. :dance013:

it was unfortunate the primo extracts couldn't articulate why the bhogart was so much better than the IIIa. did you ever find out why?

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
it was unfortunate the primo extracts couldn't articulate why the bhogart was so much better than the IIIa. did you ever find out why?

Why are you always trying to start shit? I appreciate your help,
but tom never said PE said that the BHOgart was 'so much better'.

C'mon. I'm sure both systems have their pro's and con's.
Why not just leave it at that?

He actually did and i've simply asked for clarification as to why. why let him weasel out of answering? he wants to lie about all these systems he is selling and how great they are, but he can never back it up. he just disappears... especially when problems with his system come out like on that other thread, he doesn't send everything he promised, or things are broken.

i personally don't think people should have to fix mistakes on any of these systems, yet it seems like people just expect to have to throw more many at it to make it as if was suppose to be.

tommyl

Just cause you dont like what the public is saying , not bhogart , you are a cry baby. I suppose the next group of people that have all of the extractors and make some comment on them you will cry as well if it doesnt go your way. RHH seemed to have many problems with terpenator leaking. But you probably dont pay any attention to that, just to BHOgart. The truth will emerge so get your kleenex box ready

tommyl

disappears wow. We normally respond to our customers within 15 minutes. and that is coming from a customer ,not bhogart. it takes you guys 3 months to put together an extractor. We provide the most prompt and best support out there. Disappear i think not

nakadashi

Very cool to see how much the bhogart has changed in the last 3 years. I am even more excited to see the results of a MK V vs Bhogart shootout!!!

i can see how not properly putting a system together would result in leaks. i think the chances are higher given the design of all the systems. and yes, you disappear. did you ever fix all those leaky weld issues?

kleenex? not me. but i'll ask you again because you seem a bit slow... what makes your system so much better than the IIIa? you were quick to tout that from someone who owned all 3 types of units, yet you have NEVER been able to convey what made it so much better. at the very least, spelling it all out might bump up your sales. or do you just like to brag without being able to back it up? i'm going with the later :)

tommyl

damn Mr durden you got to learn to not shoot the messenger. why don't you ask the people who have all three and made the comments. Instead you launch insults at bhogart and at them and they consequently ignore you. we don't have all day to sit around playing insult king on the computer . FYI we have seen defective parts from every domestic sanitary fitting provider. we wont name names but it includes your supplier as well. we fix things immediately and offer excellent customer service. Our units are also alot less expensive than the specialized formulations extractors. If you call bhogart and mention Mr durden we will you an extra 10% off .

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Lol, can't we all just get along, Elmo?

Made my first run ever today with my BHOgart.
Forgot to weigh the trim going in. Duh. Let the 10x12 collection pot get way too cold.
I think Cloud Fuel is N-Butane. Did a cleaning run first. Got a few metal shavings
in the coffee filters, but no oil in the pot. Started with 3lbs of tane and ended 4oz less.
The 'pour' method didn't work cause we started using boiling water and took it down to -10hg. Had to scrape it out. It was a light golden blond at this point.
put on parchment in the vac chamber in a electric turkey broiler. 115F for 45 min.
Came out as 26g of the most beautiful and powerful clear blond 'taffey' if thats a term.
washed a few more g out of the pot with 99iso. saved that for later.

Thanks Tom! (And thanks for the video...)

Ps. The Appion is pretty loud. Any ideas? Also, are vacuum pumps suppose to smoke a little?

Last edited: