What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to start flushing?

Congo

Hello everyone, I was just wondering when i should start flushing my plants? They are in an aero setup, and are badseeds. I am pretty nervouse on when to do this cuz i hear that my bud size could be affected if i do it to soon. I have read when a certain % of the trics turn cloudy? but that doesnt help, cuz i dont know how to compare cloudy to anything, since this is my first real harvest.

Thankyou

-Congo

Greenja

get yourself a handheld radioshack microscope man, you'll easily see the resin gland and follow along at the darkening of the trichromes. not hard.

also, krusty just discussed flushing and curing on another thread, hopefully he doesn't mind me cut and pasting:

1. i am currently flushing a place....i am on my 7th day...will go 10 days in total...its what i like to do but enver less then 7 days of compelte flushing...with just ph adjusted water...no additives....yes i have tried flushign agents...and they all sucked and waste of time/money
2. if you want to make it easier on the cutters by ripping off fan leaves a few days prior to harvest...ahve at it....i do it all the time or least i try to
3. i dry different ways...if it is personal as in my firends i cure it...best quality kinda thingy....but since most of the time i am dealing with alot n i want it OUT of the house....i use a dehumdifier and a heater...keep temps arround 90F and humdity as low as possible....if the customer wants it bagged and re dried then i do it that way...if they want a single dry then i do it that way too...depends on the clients...which is ussally depending on where it is going/how it is getting there/how it is packaged..

That's about it. I havent' flushed that much before but I'm going to try it this grow.

good luck
greenja

Greenja's posting some of Krusty's stuff. He's the resident guru here. He pointed me in the right direction on a couple of things.
Check out his threads.

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Flushing agents don't suck that bad. I agree that they shouldn't be relied on totally for flushing, but I like to use clearex for the first flush, (to release the molecular bond of the salts) and then use pH adjusted water from that point on... Both work fine, but the clearex gives me a little more peace of mind that the salts are actually leaching effectively. The clearex doesn't enter the plant, if it does, it leaves no evidence of it's presence at all...
cu
cc

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I flush everytime I go. If it is stinky, I try and remember the courtesy flush while I'm reading whatever rag-mag is in the bathroom.

People who forget to flush...

What we gonna' do with them?:D :p

HydroHawg

I use FinalFlush products from GroTek that work the business quite well... I generally flush with pH adjusted H20 (5.5) for 3-6 days, and then start up the FinalFlush for days 6-10... :)

HH.

6x70

I am flushing with GroTek for the first time also.. I flushed for 3 day's with ph'd water and started with the GroTek today, I was thinking of only flushing with this for about 5 days, do ya'll think 5 days will be enough? please let me know..... and sorry for butting in on this thread.........6x70

Roor22

Wait you guys actually waste your time ph'ing tap water lol I just throw tap water on my plants 7-14 days sometimes 5 cause the plant finished sooner then my feeding schedule, but really why do you guys pH? You phso that your plant can absorb nutrients and additives in my option you just want the plant to suck up the H2O!!!

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Wait you guys actually waste your time ph'ing tap water lol I just throw tap water on my plants 7-14 days sometimes 5 cause the plant finished sooner then my feeding schedule, but really why do you guys pH? You phso that your plant can absorb nutrients and additives in my option you just want the plant to suck up the H2O!!!

I have definitely thought the same thing, but still pH my water for piece of mind, I guess. Lol. Hell, if I have been growing this plant for months, I figure why take the risk of not pHing the water! :biggrin: I also thought that it may stress the plant a bit, having a large pH swing (my tap water's pH is 8.2).

djibra

2 weeks before harvest date..first few days i like to give only ph water. after that flush till the run off is clear (my biobizz is brown)..and after again water when needed

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 weeks before harvest date..first few days i like to give only ph water. after that flush till the run off is clear (my biobizz is brown)..and after again water when needed

Systemically, the plant, roots, buds and leave still have residual nutrients. I go further....only water the last 3 weeks, whether daily (depending on environmental factors, light, el sol) or every few days.

Absolutely loathe chemical exhale from plant/bud not 'detoxed' with supplements. Ugh!

Therealzemi

Is it just me being stoned, or did nobody actually answer his question? "When to start flushing" ....lol :p
Well i'll do my best to answer it. The others have already told you for how long to flush. But when to actually start it, is down to knowing the strain you grow. And the first thing you need to accept, is that the listed flowering times will be 1-3 weeks too short. The listed times are doable if every single factor in your grow setup is perfect (and they rarely are for us small time growers). As an example, i am currently growing a kush listed as 7-8 weeks. Mine go 9 weeks :)
For a new grower, i would recommend the following as a base point, and then adjust as you learn more about the given strain and growing in general. Get that 60x scope (og better). When around 60-70% of the trics are cloudy, and the rest clear or semi clear, you can start your 2 week flushing.

I hope that helped a little :peacock:

You should flush when you have 14 days left in flower. This means that the day before, when you have 15 days left you will need to give your girls a final feeding.

corky1968

Veteran
Most people say 14 days.

I have done a few plants for 3 weeks before.

I guess the more nutrients you gave your plants the longer you should flush.