What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jack Herrer not feeling so good. (with images)

so i did this soil mix.

150L topsoil/planting soil (40 US Gallon)
2.5L bonemeal (0.7 Gallon)
2.2L bloodmeal (0.6 Gallon)
0.3L bat guanu (0.1 Gallon)
8L worm castings (2.1 Gallon)
0.7L dolomite lime (0.2 Gallon)
18L perlite (4.8 Gallon)

you guys think this will be a decent mix? is their anything i should add to make it any better? i will ph correct it if needed, im gonna let it cook right now. :tiphat:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
so i did this soil mix.

150L topsoil/planting soil (40 US Gallon)
2.5L bonemeal (0.7 Gallon)
2.2L bloodmeal (0.6 Gallon)
0.3L bat guanu (0.1 Gallon)
8L worm castings (2.1 Gallon)
0.7L dolomite lime (0.2 Gallon)
18L perlite (4.8 Gallon)

you guys think this will be a decent mix? is their anything i should add to make it any better? i will ph correct it if needed, im gonna let it cook right now. :tiphat:
I don't see a lot of potassium, no sulfur or silica, trace elements, and only some magnesium.

You should add some langbeinite (sul-po-mag).

There are very few calories in this mix (fat, protein and carbohydrates (starches and sugars)), to feed the mycorrhizal fungi that are already present in the worm castings. So you should add some rice, or rabbit/pet feed that contains grains.

I don't see a lot of potassium, no sulfur or silica, trace elements, and only some magnesium.

You should add some langbeinite (sul-po-mag).

There are very few calories in this mix (fat, protein and carbohydrates (starches and sugars)), to feed the mycorrhizal fungi that are already present in the worm castings. So you should add some rice, or rabbit/pet feed that contains grains.

thanks tanza :tiphat:

i have searched and searched but i can not find any langbeinite here in my area. is there anything other i can use instead? that have the same properties.

rice it is! how much should i use in this mix? 0.5L / 0.14 gallon?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
thanks tanza :tiphat:

i have searched and searched but i can not find any langbeinite here in my area. is there anything other i can use instead? that have the same properties.

rice it is! how much should i use in this mix? 0.5L / 0.14 gallon?
A cup of rice would be enough at first, also you can also add a little to the top later on if things slow down.

Instead of Sul-Po-Mag (langbeinite), you could mix high K woodash with epsom salt (MgSO4). The alkalinity of the woodash will also balance out the acidity of the sulfur (S).

Ideally, you should have a mix of slow release and fast release nutrients of 2/3 to 1/3. Slow release would be solid - prilled, granular - and fast release would be powdered, liquid or gasular. That way any nutrient deficiency is dealt with in the short and long term.

Macro-nutrients: N, P, K.
Secondary nutrients: Ca, Mg, Si, S
Trace nutrients: Zn, Fe, Bo, Mb, etc.

Mycorrhizal fungi are the intermediary between the plant and the soil. It also needs to be fed:

Calories - fat, protein and carbohydrates (starches and sugars).

Nature - trees, shrubs, herbs - do this by dropping tonnes of seed and fruit per hectare every year, and then cover it with cellulose - leaves, stalks - creating the ideal condition for mycorrhizal growth and the creation of mushroom compost, also known as humus.