What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Double Dutch F2's

yts farmer

Veteran
Thats some super fast growth for 11 days old.

Your method is like its turbo charging them seedlings, i like what i see.

Peace.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Day 15

I had to move them while I set up the new aero unit.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And day 17 after I trimmed back some of the leaves, which will help to promote growth of side branches.

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
^^interesting method. you going to transplant them to another system?
never seen anyone run seeds like that.
eas it not super fiddly to get vthem into the pucks?

That is a good question. They are going to get transplanted, but I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to be doing, kind of depends on how many keeper males and females that I end up with. I'm able to transplant into any type of medium that I want to, I could even transplant them into a soil based medium with out a hiccup. I'll be staying with a hydroponic system of one kind or another, I might even build out a new hydro system for them.

You need to have a bit of a steady hand. Where you need an extra steady hand is if you have to remove the seed sack by hand, as its easy to break it's neck. If you don't remove the seed sack it will dry out and the leaves can't break free and the seedling will die.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I have two sets of pictures. The first two are from the the 1st of September, and the other two are from today (which is the 5th)

The plants are mostly bushes (except for the ones that didn't have side branching) with the bottom branches being longer then the main stem.

picture.php

picture.php

And today's picture

picture.php

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Things got over grown in the aeroponic unit. I just got finished moving them to their flower room. They will get to veg for about one more week then I'll flip them.

As of right now it looks like I have 4 females and the rest are all males. Looks like 9 are males. The rest of the plants got overgrown by the rest and either died off or never grew much more to compete with the rest of the plants. I'll be taking cutting before they are flipped.

I have a few other plants that are going to get a seat in the flower room to catch pollen too. Two cuttings are sister plants (HP X DD cross) that where fathered by one of two of the Double Dutch males that I collected pollen from.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
A little up date...

I had to let them all grow out to a larger size so I could take cuttings from the males too. The males where slower growing then the females. I'm also getting to see which ones have the most vigor out of the lot. It's looking like there are a few more females then I mentioned before.

Out of the group of females (sexed from pre-flowers) there are two that are total beasts, bushes that are about as wide as they are tall and have a sweet smell to them when the stems are rubbed. Those two females have side branches that are dense like a main stem, which could allow them to support more weight. I'm thinking that this could be a trait worth selecting for.

R.A.W

Good luck. I've grown multiple packs of DD. Since Gerrits plastic boxes,to the keyrings and finally Serious Seeds packs. I'm intr. to see if you're going to get any males with pistils in the F2.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
A bit of an update, I'm in the process of taking cutting from the plants. It is now looking like there are perhaps 5-7 females and the rest are looking to be males, but there are a couple that I can't tell for sure if they are males or females. I placed all of the ones that I thought where males in a tub by them selves, but there are a couple of the ones that are now showing to be girls are in that tub too. They are the smaller ones out of the bunch and I don't know if I'd be able to remove them from the males as the roots will be intertwined. I was only planning on letting the males flower for about 304 weeks and then the plan is to cut them down.

Out of the males there are two that are largest and most likely to be the ones that I'd select or consider to be the keeper males. There may be one or two other males that I'll keep cuttings from.

In my system of numbering plants to identify them, All females get a number, and the males get a letter instead of a number.

yts farmer

Veteran
Double dutch is a huge yielder for sure, pre 98 chronic was used in the cross if memory serves me right.

The pheno i had prerry much grew itself and all the buds were huge.

I read something before about breeding that this guy wants his side branches to have a ring around where the side branch meets the main stem, he thinks it is a sign of a heavy yielding plant.

Peace.

R.A.W

Ganoderma when selecting males I would try to lock in/focus on the Warlock side. That is going to be simpler then the Chronic side. The trait's I attribute to Warlock would be a short symmetrical male. Low stretch, tight, real tight branching and nodes. The smell would be a warm kind of hmm cinnamon/gingerbread bread smell with funk. Also a male that shows pistils in a low light situation, stress situation.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
First of the cuttings have started rooting.

I took some more cuttings off of one of the other females, that is in the same tub as the males.

There is a third male that is on the small/slender side compared to his other two brothers, but his smell is the sweetest out of the other males. It is looking like there are only going to be three males. The two big ones, and the smaller/slender one.

I'm going to change up the game plan on these. I discovered last week while taking cutting, The Double Dutch F2's have spider mites, and due to their size I'll not be able to eliminate them all by the time everything should be ready to harvest. So I'm going to go and flower the males and collect pollen and store it for later, and when the cuttings are ready I'll flower several cuttings of each plant and selectively pollinate them so I know which male fathered which seeds.

The smaller male is small enough that I can remove it from the rest and I can treat it for the mites and relocate it to the other veg area till it gets large enough to have cuttings taken. It's not big enough to take cuttings from it, and if I did flower him out I'd get only a drop of pollen compared to what his two brothers will be putting out.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Ganoderma when selecting males I would try to lock in/focus on the Warlock side. That is going to be simpler then the Chronic side. The trait's I attribute to Warlock would be a short symmetrical male. Low stretch, tight, real tight branching and nodes. The smell would be a warm kind of hmm cinnamon/gingerbread bread smell with funk. Also a male that shows pistils in a low light situation, stress situation.

If I had a larger selection of males, I'd have more to pick from. But I'm going to use all that I have and any traits I'll be picking those out in the F3's.

R.A.W

Target pollinate you're fav. plant/plants in week 3-4. By then you should ha an idea what kind of terps each plant is going to produce. Choose a sidebud starting with your fav. male. 2-3 days later choose another bud far way from the first and pollinate your second bud. And repeat. After each pollinaton blow away any excess pollen from the choosen budsite and put the plant back into your flower room. And revegg your fave male should you find a special one. It's easier to revegg a male then a female plant. What ever you do keep on posting. You're going to have lot's of fun with the F2's.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I'll get pictures of of the cuttings soon. Not all have rooted. The cuttings from the two males have all rooted out. The ones that have roots have been started on veg nutrients, and the ones that I'm still waiting on to root out are in the stages of just about to start tossing out some roots to looking like they aren't doing anything yet.

Just added Bloom nutes into the tub with males. As soon as I get the room cleaned up in the next day or two I'll be flipping them. Since it's just going to be a flowering cycle for males I'm thinking about 4 weeks, maybe five at the most. I've seen some males not drop a drop of pollen until week three.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Target pollinate you're fav. plant/plants in week 3-4. By then you should ha an idea what kind of terps each plant is going to produce. Choose a sidebud starting with your fav. male. 2-3 days later choose another bud far way from the first and pollinate your second bud. And repeat. After each pollinaton blow away any excess pollen from the choosen budsite and put the plant back into your flower room. And revegg your fave male should you find a special one. It's easier to revegg a male then a female plant. What ever you do keep on posting. You're going to have lot's of fun with the F2's.

I try to stay away from revegging plants, and only use it as a last resort.

Spraying/misting water onto the buds (after applying pollen) is much more effective at rendering any remaining pollen inactive then just blowing it off the plant.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I've got pictures of the cuttings.

This tub has cuttings from the two males, #5 and a couple cuttings from # 1,2,3,4
The males and the #5 female rooted out faster then the ones that where taken 3-5 days before them.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Some of the cuttings from the F2's. These are the ones that have been the best/fastest rooting out of all of the cuttings.

There are cuttings from the two males, female #5 all rooted faster then any of the other females. There is one #4, #3 and two #1's. These are going to be mover to the larger aeroponic unit to veg for a little longer before they get flipped

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts