What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my ACE journey begins

Samuel Caldwell

Sounds great! So many of the Ace lines sound good it's difficult deciding where to start! I'll definitely add some pictures when there's something to see.

Nothing happening this morning with my Tikal. I'll check her again tonight but IME if they don't pop in the first day or two then they typically don't go at all. Looks like I'm going to have to break out Tikal seed #2.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Sounds great! So many of the Ace lines sound good it's difficult deciding where to start! I'll definitely add some pictures when there's something to see.

Nothing happening this morning with my Tikal. I'll check her again tonight but IME if they don't pop in the first day or two then they typically don't go at all. Looks like I'm going to have to break out Tikal seed #2.

Fingers crossed!

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
SC, you can't go wrong with ACE seeds as a starting point. Their catalog may not suit the weed snob, but for anybody getting back into growing you will find mostly easy to grow plants

Dawn Patrol, I guess I don't know the meaning of weed snob. Or at least in the manner you are using it. Or maybe I don't understand what genetics you are comparing Ace's genetics to.
Snob to me would be someone whom demands the best, or thinks they already have the best. I've been growing for ten years now. I in no way consider myself a master grower/breeder like Dubi, DJ Short, Chimera or Mike and Jasmine at Mandala.
I agree with the easy to grow plants. Not because sativas are easy to grow by any means. In my opinion Ace genetics are easier just because of the quality of genetics Ace provides for their customers.
Kindly, elaborate your point of view. Please
If Ace is a starting point? What genetics are you moving up to?
I find it hard to believe that Old Timers Haze, Panama, Malawi, Vietnam Black, Thai's and Guatemala are entry level genetics for beginner growers and palates. I thank you for your time and clarification. Peace :tiphat:

Thanks, farmerlion. That comment caught my eye, too, but I decided to let it pass. I'm also interested in the reply.

My intentions were certainly not to disparage ACE or anybody growing their gear. I've grown PCK, Zameldica, Malawi, Golden Tiger, Old Timers Haze, Guatamala and Kali China and Dubi and Luis were absolute professionals to deal with. I've said that many times around here in many threads. I really wish I had all the money back I wasted from other seed banks and their crappy genetics.

My point was they are not super finicky pain in the ass plants that only produce when dialed in after 3 runs or show 8 phenos from 10 seeds.

I'm sure where I live things are different than where you are. Around here the heavy duty (snob) smokers are all looking for couch lock stony WLD effects and aren't satisfied by NLD effects or anything that doesn't just hammer them and nail them to their seat. I got burned out on that experience and my search for a different high lead me to Dubi.

Here is the biggest Guatamala I grew
picture.php

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Dawn Patrol, Thank you very much for the clarification. I truly hope you find the strain that suits your tastes. Three or four years ago I bought a $175.00 Anniversary Box of genetics. 70% of the seeds were white/ light yellow immature garbage. The few that did germinate were culled within the first week. One Dark Star plant made it to harvest. I'm not an Indica fan normally either. It was put into the deer food pile. I had emailed the breeder about the genetics I received and sent them pictures of the seeds in the packs. crickets....nothing at all. Since that time I mostly purchase from Ace and their affiliates. Thanks again for your reply. Peace

Samuel Caldwell

Seeds are popping!

Tikal #1 took an extra day or two but she split her shell and got planted yesterday. Tikal #2 has a tiny tap root sticking out of her shell this morning so she'll get planted soon, too. And KC continues to lead the charge, having popped up out of the soil already.

So 3 for 3! I was a bit concerned since I've been having so much trouble getting seeds to sprout lately but no problems here! Thanks Ace crew!

Samuel Caldwell

All my seeds have broken ground! Tikal #2 actually popped up through the soil before Tikal #1 and KC has been up for a few days now. I'll post a few pix later today.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Samuel Caldwell, The two Malawi seeds that I started late both took three days to come up. When they did it was at the same time. I don't soak my seeds anymore for germination. Being gentle with such a delicate seedling was difficult for me. I think I caused more stress by trying to help. Good genetics really don't need my help anyway. I'm glad all yours came up. I will be watching with interest. Peace

Samuel Caldwell

They're tiny but I'm excited! I sprouted them in jiffy peat cups but I'm not happy with them so I only use them as starter cups and then repot into smartpots. I'm vegging them for a bit to get a nice harvest. We haven't had a good harvest in a long time so I want to do this one right.

First of all, Kali China. She's been leading the way so far.

Samuel Caldwell

Here's Tikal #1. She popped an elbow out of the soil first. I gently made sure her head was free from the soil so she could stand up straight. She's not stuck in the dirt but she's not standing up straight yet. Oh well. I'm in no rush. I like a gal with some personality.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I hope you get the harvest your looking for this round Samuel Caldwell. I really enjoy seeing the whole process myself. Hell even shopping is fun when it's stuff for the grow. Best of luck. I'm tuned in. Peace

Samuel Caldwell

Thanks, farmerlion. I've only been able to get a couple plants to finish (plus a couple mutants) since I started back up again. I've been trying out a local organic soil and it's not been working out. I switched everything over to ffof for this round. I had good results with it several years ago when I was trying different soils and growing styles.

And I agree completely about the whole process and being organic is tons of fun! I can't wait to get back into composting, getting a worm farm, brewing ACTs...

Samuel Caldwell

Almost a week so time for an update. All 3 gals are doing great!

Pic #1 - KC is still leading the way.
Pic #2 - T1 has straightened up and is looking fine. You can see her deformed right leaf that was pointing down into the soil.
Pic #3 - T2 has a darker, almost purplish hue to her already, although the color doesn't really show very well in this pic. I'm glad I ended up with 2 Tikals on this round. Wish I had room to pop a bunch more.

Samuel Caldwell

Nice that the KC will finish up sooner than the Tikal. It'll let you run the Tikals to their fullest

The tent's on 20/4 veg light cycle right now. I decided to chop everything I had going in there before and do these right. I'll flip over to 12/12 in a few weeks after they're all established so it'll be a staggered harvest, as they finish. I'm not one to chop anything too early. (well, except for the mutant bagseeds I had to get rid of to start the Ace girls)

I'm planning to take some cuts when they get big enough. Not sure what I'll do with them since I've only got the one tent. I'll see what I can come up with and cross that bridge when I get to it.

Side note, we put an offer on a house (over the asking price) but we got outbid. It's insane how fast properties are selling around here.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Samuel Caldwell, Very nice looking young ladies. Good luck with the rest of the grow. Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts