What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Hand Watering coco thread

B

bonecarver_OG

over watering only becomes an issue in bigger pots - where the weight of the coco is giving the same trouble as mentioned before. :D

i hate watering everyday - thats why i use big pots so i dont have to - every other day max is enough work for me. if it gets any more than that i connect the drippers - the truth is work and life is very important too - and watering many plants is quite time consumeing.

the paper was an interesting read :D

im now giving a try to really small pots (a quarter gallon) and it also seems to work fine.

actually at the moment im flowering in, 1 liter, 5 liter, 7,5 liter, 12 liter, 40 liter and one 70 liter pots all of them get watered with the same intervals besides the super tiny
pots that get water very often (its a sturdy african sativa so it seems to be able to handle drought, salt etc with no problem - neither it does seem to need rootspace.

coco truely is very versatile.

peace

heres an example of the african sativas going for it! these specific ones got cut earlier but still got a few more left growing :D its interesting they are as big as the plans in 12 liter pots!

a 7,5 liter beer-cup of plastic :D with one 90 cm tall sativa :D check how small the 40 cm bong is behind them!

Last edited:

PuttPutt33

Hey guys i just saw this thread, I have been a member for some time but for some reason i can do everything but post images. Anyways, this is my second grow, my first was hydro, This time i purchased some cocogro from bonticare. I have a hydro hut mini, with a 3x3 ebb and flow from American agritech, and a 250 on them now, but when i flip i got a 600aircooled. Anyways I didnt know anything about coco, the guy at the hydro shop said it was great and to water 2 times a day, treat it like hydro. That is what i have done. But i am wondering if i should flush it ever, And what is this runoff thing? I have a 20 gallon res. My nutes are fox farm grow big, Magical by technaflora, and thrive alive b-1 red. My plants.9. look pretty good but nothing special i would say. They are 3 weeks from seeds popping, I topped half of them at the 3rd internode. Anyways I was just wondering for some good tips, If i am doing something wrong. Also i mixed my coco which was 65-70 liters of media with 8 liters of perlite.

G

PuttPutt33 said:
Hey guys i just saw this thread, I have been a member for some time but for some reason i can do everything but post images. Anyways, this is my second grow, my first was hydro, This time i purchased some cocogro from bonticare. I have a hydro hut mini, with a 3x3 ebb and flow from American agritech, and a 250 on them now, but when i flip i got a 600aircooled. Anyways I didnt know anything about coco, the guy at the hydro shop said it was great and to water 2 times a day, treat it like hydro. That is what i have done. But i am wondering if i should flush it ever, And what is this runoff thing? I have a 20 gallon res. My nutes are fox farm grow big, Magical by technaflora, and thrive alive b-1 red. My plants.9. look pretty good but nothing special i would say. They are 3 weeks from seeds popping, I topped half of them at the 3rd internode. Anyways I was just wondering for some good tips, If i am doing something wrong. Also i mixed my coco which was 65-70 liters of media with 8 liters of perlite.

I think ya need to read the coco grow guide that is stickied =] There is some pretty good info in there

Last edited:

Splifted

Right now I'm growing other things in coco simply because my current situation doesn't allow me to grow weed at the moment. I have harvest 1 4 plant crop in soil before, but I want to switch to coco & I figure I might as well learn now instead of wasting my time.

Anyway, I have 5 different kinds of pepper plants in botanicare cocogro (i got a 5kg brick) mixed about 60/40 or 70/30 with perlite. I'm feeding them Hesi coco as per directions on the bottle(the peppers seem to be loving this shit), pH'd to 5.8. I've been hand watering the 5 8" pots with 4 L total every day and having about 20% of what I feed run through to trays that I just pour out. The plants have been in the coco for a little over 1 week, I bought them from a nursery and washed most of the soil off before transplanting. They never once showed a hint of shock, the leaves have been perky and green the whole time.

Anyway, I just have one question. My pots are still pretty moist all the way through the next afternoon when it's time to water. So far, the plants don't seem to mind this, but my brain being used to soil keeps telling me it isn't right. So should I let them dry out a bit more before watering (not dry, just a bit drier) and go every 2 days or keep doing as I'm doing and watering every day?

I can't wait to finally get to grow some herb in this stuff....all of your pics are making me jealous.

Last edited:

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
if the water drains through the coco well and doesn't seem to get stopped up anywher e when you water.. and runoff comes fairly fast.. then i think you should be fine watering everyday and keeping it wet. the water pulls new oxygen down to the roots with it if the drainage isn't blocked up or the coco hasn't compacted strange.

i'm watering everyday and trying not to even think about overwatering like i used to with soil..

B

bonecarver_OG

i want to have a follow up thread on those peppers :)

its interesting!!

peace :D

Splifted

seedy: thanks for that input man, I'll keep it up til they give me some sign of not liking it, so far all 5 plants look happy

Bonecarver: Sure thing. I have a bunch of new seedlings too that just sprouted over the past couple days in jiffy plugs. The ones from seeds are the varieties i really want, the live ones are ones I could find at local nurseries.

B

bonecarver_OG

awesome - i like any gardening - and the more when it includes coco.

i have grown habaneros - they are EVIL chillies peppers - way too strong :D

i look forward to plant big red sweet peppers :D

have fun mate :D

peace

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
High, I'm looking to keep some mother plants in coco. This will be my first time using the stuff. I've read a few threads but just need a hand to get me going.

Can I use fine dolomite lime as a pH buffer? I take it I would add a little when I mix the coco in the beginning. How much lime do I use per litre of coco/water and how often would I need to apply it?

I have Biobizz Grow and Bloom nutes, can I use those? Must I also get the Biobizz Fish Mix? Should I rather use General Hydro Flora 3 part?

Thanks in advance! :wave:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I'm a coco handwaterer

I'm a coco handwaterer

I am very new bro.....and you may wanna disregard anything my dumbass has to post...but here goes :D
Can I use fine dolomite lime as a pH buffer? I take it I would add a little when I mix the coco in the beginning. How much lime do I use per litre of coco/water and how often would I need to apply it?
Silver Surfer_OG says adding dolomite lime has made the biggest impact for him compared to grows of past....he says it adds Ca and Mg....as for application...I don't know...maybe hit him up, or hit his thread...
As for the nutes....try one and if you mess up...then switch to the other....or try them both and stick with what's working or less expensive....
I have experience with GH 3 part...good stuff...I've had success with 3 different nute brands in coco (none are/were "coco specific")....and read claims of success regarding others' nutes.

peace :wave:

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
Thanks -VT- :D

I'll just wait a bit more to find out about using dolomite lime. Since coco is good for hydro, methinks I'll go for the GH 3-peart.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey fellas.

Dolomite lime has worked well in my coco mix and also some good quality soil.
The cal/mag is slow release and is absorbed as needed. Its also very affordable... :yes:

LC’s Soiless Mix #1:
5 parts Coir
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

:smoweed:

Last edited:

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
first root check since i started these in coco.. these are young plants.. but starting to take off fast! st8 root Pr0n compared to soil..

:yoinks:

Splifted

Well, the tomato is now growing quite fast, the peppers still haven't shown much noticeable growth, but they aren't the fastest growing plants anyway. I also added a dwarf blueberry plant to the patio. Its more of a long term project though, it takes 1 year or 2 to mature and produce fruit. But it loves moist acidic conditions, aka coco coir, so I'm hoping for good results.

Haha, the one way to find out if it will work is do it huh? The blueberry plant just arrived in the mail this morning, I tried to wash off the rootball (wasn't happening, the shit was in peat & the small roots weren't letting go of it) and got about 1/4 of the peat off & transplanted it to a fairly small pot with coco/perlite. Soaked it with the normal nute solution the peppers & tomato seem to be loving.

I'm interested to see how this plant is gonna do....mmm, blueberry dro errrrrr I mean 'dro blueberries :)

B

bonecarver_OG

ive been thinking about ordering cloudberry seedlings - if they would survive the trip - they must really love coco since they grow in wet acidic bog areas and they also like good amounts of nutes :D

peace

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
i like this hand watering coco business.. real nice fast growth, no color fade at new growth tips, no droop and i water them through and through everyday!

ok kush s1 f2 ala jlp.. not very old at all.. i forget :chin:

THC4SIM

You gotta love Coco,
im using Canna Coco and handwatering the Canna A+B, Cannazim, & the Boost £££, 11ltr pots watering every 2-3 days...
i am currently only 4-5 days into 12/12 and wondering when the best time to add PK 13/14 to the mix,
a week later like Canna recommend or has anyone else got any tips for using PK 13/14.. (its ok guys, ive found it now..)

in this room:
4 x Soma NYCD
4 x Rez Basic Diesel
4 x F2 Bogbubble
4 x Magnus DoubleDutch

heres some shots
2 weeks ago, 14th march

Today 28th march (the growth rates are shithot!!)

and heres a shot of one of the DoubleDutch out of the room and light

Looking forward to picking some brains at the 420!!!!

Last edited:

THC4SIM

Cheers! HighOnTheChronic :D

a few shots from a Bogbubble i grew from seed in Canna Coco,
from last year i think? :chin:

coco is the only way to go!!

Latest posts

Latest posts