What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are they worth it?

Giantbugkiller

I am new to this sight sight so help a brother out if you can. My question is this, are seeds from breeders like TGA Genetics (RIP Subcool), MzJill Genetics, Dr Greenthumb, Dungeon Vault Genetics and other breeders that tend to only offer regular seeds worth the $100 to $150 price tag (it is not about those breeders specifically, just breeders that sell in that style, high prices and regular seeds only). Or would a guy be better off going with the more known breeders like Nirvana, Sensi Seeds, Barneys Farm ect. I would be willing to pay the big bucks if i thought i would be getting something special.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my opinion it can go both ways. Mostly the higher price seeds have more to offer yes. Lot of exceptions to that though.

If I had a couple hundred dollars to throw at seeds I would rather get a mix of strains at $50 a pack than do one pack at $200. Odds are more in your favor. If I want a certain strain I will pay over a hundred to get it, but have not been impressed with I guess quite a few after factoring in the price.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Best seed I’ve gotten in more recent times are from other growers who don’t own seed companies. That said, it all depends on what you want to grow. Are you planning on doing indoors or outdoors? Narrow or Broad leaf plants? Want something that finishes fast or no?

One of the best breeders out there today...and he really doesn’t get enough props...is Gooey Breeder w/Canna Exotics.

Go look at his stuff and see if it sounds like something you might like. His lines have been tested and he puts his heart and soul into his work. Really underrated breeder with really interesting work, imho.

HB.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The best indication of a strain is the grow and smoke reports being posted by growers that have run set strains i would find as many as i could before purchasing seed.

Price should not be the concern stability and what you end up at harvest is the most impotent criteria i feel growers care about.

Giantbugkiller

Thank you for your thought. I will definitely take that info in to the old brain. It does seems to me that the more seed you can get the more like you are to find some real fire. Especially when your are buying from reputable companies.

Giantbugkiller

Right on i will look into Gooeys stuff! I like strains that are 65 to 75 days in flower. So i lean towards the broad leaf stuff. I like strains that are not going to put you strait to bed lol but has a relaxing uplifting vibes with some good pain relief. Thank you for the info.:tiphat:

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Here’s a late start Canna Exotic Lemon Purple x Purple Spiced Lava...she’s got some really nice colors in veg and should be ready by the first week of October. Per Gooey, the harvest window on this line is from 56-84 days with most coming in around the 9 week mark.

picture.php

HB.

mexweed

Veteran
yes and no, cheap euro fems don't ever produce the real 10/10 weed, but you also have to question selling a pack for $100 or more

clearheaded

ya plenty of tried and true var can get for cheap bulk seeds for learning. moby dick, afganxskunk, ssh, chocolope, critical, amnesia,g13haze, are all good places to start for good yeilding easy to grow var.

mns seed auction, nirvana, bohdi 60 bucks get some nice phenos. alot of spanish based banks are all resellers of seed and produced at same place. g13labs.

but grow a few easy to grow cheap varieties and spend money on lights and or soil. once get a couple grows down then see if you feel if looking at untested poly hybrids of elites is something you want to look at. some elites like slurricane dosidos produced by archive i think they actually put some selection. DNA 9 out of 10 strains all produced very nice plants with strong structure and good yeilds.

Burt

Veteran
I hate to say it but they are totally worth it. While the expensive entry fee seems steep it really isn’t when you find keepers and usually there are 1 or more in packs.

Archive, exotic genetixxx, Clearwater and Staefli farms are some of my favorite breeders and 1 of them is having a great sale for another day or 2.

I will echo the previous poster and say free pollen chucks from the community is where it’s at and I am beyond grateful

Giantbugkiller

Ya mexweed i feel the same way. It is difficult to find some real fire from the euro mass seed producers. I am not saying it can't be done but you can go though a lot of seed and not find that special keeper. On the other hand $100 dollars and up seam to me to be a little ridiculous. But that is the world we live in. Thanx so much for your thoughts.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive grown out hundreds of packs of seeds and if i had my time again i probably wouldnt even start 90% of them.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The best indication of a strain is the grow and smoke reports being posted by growers that have run set strains i would find as many as i could before purchasing seed.

Price should not be the concern stability and what you end up at harvest is the most impotent criteria i feel growers care about.
I'll second this advice. :dance013:

Do your research and pay attention to the details of the growers giving the info. Some growers are genius, and yet unable to formulate a proper sentence. Other growers are ignorant as mud, and can throw paragraph after paragraph of useless text around with ease. :friends:

Then there's the whole "what cannabis is right for _you_" question. Keep in mind descriptions of the effects of cannabis are extremely subjective. What's awesome for someone in a prohibition state is generally sub-par to actual quality in the real world. I find a heavy bias toward genetics which help people forget how f'd up things are in the world, so if you're a thinker you may want to look at more sativa dominant hybrids, or full sativas. ;)

Whatever you do, know you're on the right path by seeking out the right information first. :D ICMag is a great resource, welcome and glad you're here.

Giantbugkiller

Thanks clearheaded i will keep that in mind. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]:biglaugh:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] a[/FONT]

Giantbugkiller

Thank you so much Douglas.Curtis I am glad to be here. I am on a mission to find a few special ladies that bring the fire! As i am sure we all are LOL. I am also switching from growing from seeds that are feminized to taking cutting and keeping a mother plant. It is going well so far. In the beginning there were a few hiccups but i have a working system now.:dance013:

Latest posts

Latest posts