What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kosen Rufu and maybe more - 2020

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hi All,

It's been a while... I've had a 9-10 year break and cannot for the life of me believe how far the scene has come, last time i was here Autos were a fairly new thing and i had a dabble in them before departing, looking at seeds sites the other day it seem you can now get Fem'd Autos in virtually any strain you want.

After a recent move to a lovely part of the world an making a life long dream come true (i can surf when ever i want :)), we brought a new house which came with a greenhouse. Now i don't smoke anymore so i'm not sure what i'm going to do with this grow... heck i dont even like being stoned anymore but hey I've always loved tinkering around with these plant and after finding my stash of seeds thought lets do this.

My seed stash is very old.. some of them were labeled 2003, i used to take good care of them in the fridge but over the years they have been in the back of a drawer gathering dust.

Anyhow after finding my seeds the other week clearing out some crap i decided to see if i could get some started.. i started with some White Widow seeds I made in 2005.. no luck.

Then i moved on to a strain i have a lot of love for and a LOT of seeds gifted by an old friend from Overgrow days.. the strain is Kosen Rufu and apparently this is the parentage (Petrolia Headstash x Cripple Creek x Vietnam Black)

I've had great susses growing this on a balcony in London about 13 years ago and when the weather turns cold shows some purpleness to the flowers.

Kosen Rufu - Oct 2008

picture.php

View image in gallery

I thought I'd try something different to coax these seeds to pop as they are so old.. I took 20 seeds and lightly scuffed them on some fine sand paper and soaked them for 24 hours in water, on returning home last night to my delight 4 of them had already sprouted.

Kosen Rufu - 2020 - Day 1

Now i'm not 100% decided what i'm going to do with these.. maybe the greenhouse or maybe a gorilla grow in a perfect site I've found close by... time will tell.

Eggy

Big Eggy

Veteran
Thanks for stopping by forest!

The more I think about this season the more I'm leaning towards a guerilla grow.. I'm hoping to have some extensive building work started this year so might not be a good idea to have them on site. I found a few good spots locally and one stands out because of how difficult it is to reach., but once up there its a nice south facing clearing. I can't see why many people would be up there especially when we have coastline walks and a beach near by that are more picturesque.

I'm thinking get the plants as big and bushy as possible in the greenhouse then move them to the final site mid March.

I'm not convinced these seeds I've started are that viable at the moment as the roots hadn't gown much when after I had them in paper towels.. I've potted them in some coco coir which will hopefully encourage them a bit, though as of last night I'm yet to see them pop thier heads up. I'll keep them going before I have a rethink.

The plant above didn't finish till early November on a balcony in London and one of the main buds suffered some grey mold/rot, so if I do have to start over I will buy strain suited to the British climate.

Gonna scope the site out this weekend if storm Dennis calms down.

Eggy

Big Eggy

Veteran
As i feared, despite the seeds cracking and showing roots they are just not upto the job as nothing has happened since translating them to pots.. very sad but not unexpected.

I'm still set on a gorilla grow and have been researching what my best options might be... my first thought were to go with femaleseeds.nl Purple Maroc as it is an early finisher and somewhat mold resistant.. but ... money is tight at the moment and £20+ on 4 seeds although not much is more than I wanted to spend at this present time, and the fact that they can also grow 300cm... god knows what I would do with all that bud if they finished half decent. I'd also considered thier outdoor grapefruit as the description reminded me of my prized Cindy clone.

In the back ground I've been thinking Autos are the way to go in the first season i have grown for a loooong time. So after much deliberation I've settled for a mix of 5 autos from Female-seeds.co.uk, they have a discount range that are a reasonable £2.49 each with a freebee thrown in. I gather they are not going to be as good as say a premium pack of autos but think this will help me understand the site better and stagger the grow so i'm dealing with drying 1 plant at a time.

The funny thing is i don't smoke anymore and have no idea what i'm going to do with the finished product other than jar it up and give it to friends.

Anyhow the autos for the grow will be:

Auto Northern Lights (I used to have a NL#5 clone/mother so will be interesting how it stacks up)

Auto White Widow (Again i used to have this as a clone/mother so will be interesting how it stacks up)

Auto Diesel (Never grown a Diesel strain but the guy who made Kosen rufu sent me some of his ECSD, at first i thought yuk it tastes like when you get diesel on your hand at the pump and accidentally put it in your mouth.. but soon it became my favorite bud.

Auto Kalashnikov (have grown AK48 from Nirvana, which was at the time one of my most successful.

Mystery Auto Freebee - (let's hope it's labeled).

I'm gonna keep trying to get some of my old seed stash going and will come back here and update if i have any luck.. got a lot of others to try.

Eggy