What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hugelkultur beds for guerilla growing??

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
has anyone else here gave this a try? i been reading great things about it and its great for a guerilla bc it cuts watering the plants to like 1 time a month bc the logs hold moisture and the roots grow down into there with all the new fungi and bacteria and just exsplode. the rotting wood provides moisture,nutrients and billons more fungi nad bacteria that is acclimatized to my area. this is my first year doing this style of growing but i have read great things and seen massive healthy plants in the summer droughts. here is the pics of it

Ive seen huglekultuer work for food and ornamentals, also providing regular fruitings of edible mushrooms at the same time. I can only imagine that cannabis will do just fine provided you still amend the soil properly and provide aeration other than wood chips....

EG

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
yesss.

there's some folks on IG that are doin big trees in hugelkultur beds.

@mrs_white_rose_gardens grew some monsters last season in a new hugelkultur. she was using #lavakultur to tag the pics.

@greensourcegardens just built the most gorgeous hugelkultur berms but they are brand new and have yet to be planted. they will be madness by the fall.

definitely what i'd be doing if i had some land. sepp holzer styleee.

53a28d_c318890a530946a5b072fa6c07828918.jpg

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
rotting wood creates heat and holds moisture and provides a very long term release of nutrients as it decomposes and is metabolized by soil microbes.

if you bury a bunch of wood with an appropriate amount of nitrogen rich starter material, then cover that with a thick layer of soil, you've got a drought resistant, self-feeding bed that is ready to plant before ground thaw, and stays warm past first frost, plus it improves each year with no additions.

that's the theory anyway. i'm dying to try it for myself!

theres some gorgeous ones in full production mode in the documentary "the agro rebel." sepp holzer is one of my favorite farmers. i've watched this short film a bunch of times---very inspiring. plus that yodeling soundtrack is so haunting! watching it transports me to alps, following sepp's pigs around on a tour of the krameterhof :joint: :biggrin:

it's good to see them on video. a lot of attempted hugelkultur beds i've seen american permies make are way too short. they need to be deep and tall to function 100%.

MrBungle

Hugelkultur is one of my goals as a gardener also.. very interested to see more.... been doing lasagna gardening for some time now with great success with just veggies, perennial herbs and fruit trees so far

Last edited:
Been doing it, I like placing the mound in a location where the grade of the land is sloping down hill so rain water flowing into the raised bed giving it a "swale" affect.

Scrappy4

Veteran
I built two 75 foot long 5 foot wide hugelkulture beds in my veggie garden. One is two years old and one is one year old. Both have seasonal perineal crops. So far the crops have not been exceptional. I grew strawberries, asparagus, comfrey, and rhubarb. They did alright, but at this stage no better than other annuals, planted nearby.

But in my research things take up to 3 years to really kick in. And in my beds, I used native soil, (sand and gravel mostly) and looking back it would have been better to use a few totes of better soil and compost.

In my beds I used old rotting logs in a 18-24 inch deep beds, and filled in with horse manure. I guess in a year or two ill know more. Hope this helps.

Edit, as a side note, and in my limited experience and opinion for cannabis I'd go with raised beds made with good soil and top notch compost, for the short or mid term. For gorilla grows I like reusing holes (no till) lined with newspaper and amended with the ussual suspects. Worked for me in sandy dry soil for years.

Easy7

Veteran
I've used the rotting tree's humus extensively. Last grow was coco and the tree humus, as well as vermiculite. It's good if you can find it, it adds organic material to the mix. I was worried about bugs with this tree humus, never actually had any problems. Can take a hike to find it. Some spots the tree canoes from the rot and there is good hard wood compost in there. Other times it looks like evidence of bugs that tunneled into the tree and left the humus/compost.

If anyone happens to test the nutrient content of the stuff, please do post!

Easy7

Veteran
After some reading it appears tree humus has 3 parts K, I suspected it was mostly potassium as it is. About 1 part P, and no nitrogen. Most of the phosphorous leaches out in the rotting process. It's good to use because it's so much work to haul out 60 gallons of soil mix miles to a grow.

I've also used this nearly at 100% for an indoor grow under CFL's. Not wanting to bike back to the home a 3 cubic foot bale of peat moss! Worked very well, not one bug or problem. This stuff also supports fungus very well, for living soils. It's full of good microbes.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
sorry for the long reply and update guys. awesome to know that u other guys have tried this and to hear its doing well is very reassuring to me. here is the pics of 1 my holes that i got done. i have got 8 holes already dont and nutrient cycling going on now. i reused my organic living soil that i bought off Build-a-soil last year and just mixed it in with my new mix of things u see in the first pic. i also bought 1 CF of living soil this year off bas called the modern mix 2.0 just to try it out vs my own mix.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
Hugulkultur works great but I've never seen it done with cannabis. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

rotting wood creates heat and holds moisture and provides a very long term release of nutrients as it decomposes and is metabolized by soil microbes.

if you bury a bunch of wood with an appropriate amount of nitrogen rich starter material, then cover that with a thick layer of soil, you've got a drought resistant, self-feeding bed that is ready to plant before ground thaw, and stays warm past first frost, plus it improves each year with no additions.

that's the theory anyway. i'm dying to try it for myself!

theres some gorgeous ones in full production mode in the documentary "the agro rebel." sepp holzer is one of my favorite farmers. i've watched this short film a bunch of times---very inspiring. plus that yodeling soundtrack is so haunting! watching it transports me to alps, following sepp's pigs around on a tour of the krameterhof :joint: :biggrin:

it's good to see them on video. a lot of attempted hugelkultur beds i've seen american permies make are way too short. they need to be deep and tall to function 100%.
thanks for the video bro!
I built two 75 foot long 5 foot wide hugelkulture beds in my veggie garden. One is two years old and one is one year old. Both have seasonal perineal crops. So far the crops have not been exceptional. I grew strawberries, asparagus, comfrey, and rhubarb. They did alright, but at this stage no better than other annuals, planted nearby.

But in my research things take up to 3 years to really kick in. And in my beds, I used native soil, (sand and gravel mostly) and looking back it would have been better to use a few totes of better soil and compost.

In my beds I used old rotting logs in a 18-24 inch deep beds, and filled in with horse manure. I guess in a year or two ill know more. Hope this helps.

Edit, as a side note, and in my limited experience and opinion for cannabis I'd go with raised beds made with good soil and top notch compost, for the short or mid term. For gorilla grows I like reusing holes (no till) lined with newspaper and amended with the ussual suspects. Worked for me in sandy dry soil for years.

hey scrappy! yes the research tells me that it takes a min of 2 years for it to start doing really,really well. thats one the reasons i went ahead and loaded up my holes with the amendments(great compost and worm power castings) this year so that will get me thur this year and im hoping after the 2nd year things start to go insane. i also used the premier peat moss along with the coast of maine lobster compost and Ewc. What does the newspapers do bro? i still have all my box's from down to earth and it stats compost this box. should i add this to my holes and line them with those box's? thanks man

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I've used the rotting tree's humus extensively. Last grow was coco and the tree humus, as well as vermiculite. It's good if you can find it, it adds organic material to the mix. I was worried about bugs with this tree humus, never actually had any problems. Can take a hike to find it. Some spots the tree canoes from the rot and there is good hard wood compost in there. Other times it looks like evidence of bugs that tunneled into the tree and left the humus/compost.

If anyone happens to test the nutrient content of the stuff, please do post!

hell ya bro i added quite a bit of that to my holes. the dirt right under the rotting tree is so black and smells so damn good. i also like the fact that it will be adding local microbes bc most of my soil amendments did not come from my area. they all was shipped in from either north east and the west coast. i also have worried about bugs but just like u never had that issue as well.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
interesting ......yeehaw....as long as you introduce some nitrogen as composting sucks it up...IMHO

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
interesting ......yeehaw....as long as you introduce some nitrogen as composting sucks it up...IMHO

ya i laid the bat guano high n right down on the used soil from last year then put my mix on top of the used soil so hopefully that will be enuff. if not i will be monitoring good and if i see some yellowing come on i will do some guano & ewc tea

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I use them outdoors for vegetables and word of wisdom to those who use this method.

I did not compact some of mine well enough and the branches where still resilient and rabbits made burrows in one of the beds so incorrectly it can make an inviting home to a rodent.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
I use them outdoors for vegetables and word of wisdom to those who use this method.

I did not compact some of mine well enough and the branches where still resilient and rabbits made burrows in one of the beds so incorrectly it can make an inviting home to a rodent.

Hey weird! thanks for the info that is something for sure i need to keep in mind. im gonna be putting some fence wire around the holes that i did this to,hopefully that will be enuff to deter the little fellas from digging a burrow in there.

neongreen

Veteran
I also had problems with voles in my huglekultuer bed, and have dug in a 0.25" mesh fence around it... they still found a way in though! We also had problems in regular beds, especially one that had been covered with anti-weed membrane, so it's not just huglekultuer beds, but I do think that from a vole's point of view that they make an attractive dwelling.

Voles love cover so keeping things tidy (not letting vegetation, especially grass, get too long, and not leaving piles of things on the ground) is probably the best way to avoid a vole explosion like we had a couple of years back. Most people probably won't encounter this problem (even with huglekultuer beds) I suspect, but it may be worth being aware of for some I guess.

Latest posts

Latest posts