What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a PVC dripper manifold

meduser180056

Thanks for the detailed response Pico.

I feel better about my watering time since you got the same thing going on.

Is there a cheap solution to the filter? Couldn't I just use a nylon stocking or something to put the pump in? I don't want any clogs that would suck.

That timer is nice. I got a ART-DNe timer that also has a photostat so it comes on when the lights go on. Cost $80 compared to $20 for a cheap digital timer that only goes to minutes, but it works great.

These dripper fed plants in readygro are the healthiest plants I have ever grown. It's gonna be a nice harvest.

Bye Bye pro-mix and handwatering. I'm never going back.

pico

Veteran
the filter is like $10 at home depot so it is the cheap solution really.

I agree, my plants are also very very healthy. drain to waste is pretty sweet.

pico

Veteran
I am running all submersible pumps. Just regular water pumps that can be found at the fish/hydro store.

I'll throw down one vote for the slighter simplicity of the screw in barbed fitting for those that were wondering about them. No problems here.
Tho now I just use poly line and a punch and just push the feeder lines into that.
Also...points for open end lines. Screw those emitters and such crap :smile:

The length of the feeder line should be roughly equal...but I don't honestly know at what point of differential would the amount of water put out be noticeable...2"?...6"?...12"?...don't know.

See how Pico's mainline is 'looped' and the feeders come off that hoop?...that is what makes the system pressure equal up to that point btw. If you have multiple tables...you first loop the main line from the rez back onto itself. Then you 'Tee' off of that main loop into your individual table loops.
Just thought I'd mention that at as it wasn't mentioned I don't think....

Great post Pico!...just thought I'd throw in some info as well (no need to post another thread on options of the same idea)...hopefully I don't come off as an asshole or anything :cheers:

pico

Veteran
I am surrounded by assholes (spaceballs reference)

Just joshin man, we are all learning and exchanging ideas here, that is what this is for.

Good call on the main loop feeding table loops. You always want to loop or you get different pressures all over the place. I mentioned looping the tables, but I never mentioned looping a main feed line because I just use different pumps for each table.

I just stay away from those barbed units because I break those bitches off, but I get a little rowdy with my grow equipment.

Welcom to ICMAG by the way

I hear ya :smile:
I'm actually pretty careful when I handle my 'equipment' ...so I probably represent the longer lasting side of the issue ....lol

pico

Veteran
hey now, I treat my 'equipment' as well as the next guy. Unlike my pH pen this probe isn't replaceable. :)

pico

Veteran
I wasn't getting any leaks with the open lines. They are pretty tight fit. You would be wise to test before doing anything big. Deffinately let us know your results.

SmokerE

600 gph for 28 sites? Are these 1/2 gph drips? I'm trying to figure out myself what is required for a 48 site setup. Any help would be appreciated.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
SmokerE said:
600 gph for 28 sites? Are these 1/2 gph drips? I'm trying to figure out myself what is required for a 48 site setup. Any help would be appreciated.

48 site? Please give more info on dimensions and general layout of your room and planned PVC manifold. I built one and I have some insights that might help you to plan yours properly.

HYDROJUNKIE

pico awesome grow and tutorial!,....like the square botanicare pots alot!
Im using 2 gallon perfect pots but im looking for more rootspace,...those might do the trick....I also opted for the barbs and poly hose for a dripper setup,..man it kills your fingers!

I see some people looking for answers on pump size and plant numbers,..I think a 500gph pump does 20 plants max,...I use a 500 for every 16 plants.

also I had issues with when the pump shuttoff it would keep dripping/flowing,...I bought those syphon valves which didnt do shit but dribble water on my floor.

what I did was raise the middle section of my hose higher than my res...so now my hose has a golden gate bridge look to it if you get what I mean(I gotta change that too cuz it looks cheezy..lol)

by the way pico if you really love trainwreck grab a strain called humboldt hulk,...its trainwreck x white widow.
I used to grow trainwreck for years and hated how the stems were so weak untill I found this cross,..fatter stems and better yield.

hope you dont mind the pics...

B

Brain

I have 42 sites on a 500ghp and it does fine but I wouldn't do too many more that that.

HYDROJUNKIE

really brain?..hmm...does it litterly drip or is it a nice stream?
I did 25 one time and it dribbled out kinda slow...looked like it was struggling.
maybe my pump had issues or something.
my magdrive pumps are like 5-6 years old too..lol

B

Brain

It's in between a drip and a stream. I works well becouse the water comes out and goes straight down where I put it instead of squirting.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
A great thread with some fantastic ideas, many thanks.

Re Plastics, you are using uPVC not PVC ... the "u" means UnPlasticised i.e. Hard ......... plasticised PVC is soft and contains dodgy chemicals [the plasticisers] that leach into aggressive [low pH] nutrient solutions and will kill your plants.

PVC has no use in Hydroponics, however, it can look quite fetching when used sparingly as "clothing" on young ladies.....

gride

stream

stream

thanks for another great threat Pico
the pvc framed trellis will be in my garden
i want to try to use this idea to
im running a recirculating DWC and me feed lines get progressively lower flow farther away from the pump.
would this loop design work for this type system where i am trying to achieve more of a stream than a drip
here's a little piece of plumbing info i found roaming the net that you might be interested in
pond plumbing primer
thanks again Pico

flavoraid

okay but say it wasn't there.

what would happen?

like exactly what does it do, sift particles for smooth flow, remove partiles ect

also.. is each drip truely identical in flow? because in my head you would have the most flow early in the loop and then the amount of water per each would decrease gradually.