What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

deltronZER0's deck dank 2: boogaloo

deltronZER0

Hey fam,

Been around for a while, but haven't grown for a couple seasons. Got an itch late this season, and decided there was no reason not to try and throw out a few plants and get some primo headstash of varieties not typically available as flower in my area. Basic plan was to mix up some tasty organic soil emphasizing beneficial bacteria and fungi, biodiversity of ingredients, and lessons learned in past grows. I'm going to be growing in 3 gallon smart pots on my top story deck in a sunny medical state.

Genetics procured:
Clones:small clones in rock wool cubes
Grapefruit x romulan - harborside
Dream queen - harborside (darkheart nursery)
Teens:8-12"
Black light (black Durban x northern lights #5)
Gobstopper (candy kush x vortex)
93 landrace Afghan (???)
Guerilla Glue #4

Soil mix is based on a modified LC's mix:
6gal promix bx
4.5gal ewc
4.5gal total aeration:
1.5gal volcanic rock
Rest was biochar
1.5 cups diatomaceous earth
1.66 cups dolomite lime
1 cup azomite
~1.75 cups blood (fucked this up, transposed with other meal)
~0.75 cups fish bone meal
~0.9 cups kelp meal

Attachments

• IMG_3285.jpg
    IMG_3285.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3680.jpg
    IMG_3680.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 16

deltronZER0

Took a better labeled family photo for y'all, enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
S

Scott64a

How do you like the smart pots?

Are they hard to keep the soil moist in?

Last edited:

steasy88

Smart pots are great to grow in they do dry out with just a coco medium I had to water every day even on a cloudy day but this year I have used a all purpose soil mix and I have to water every 3 days try using 4/5 gallon pots for a larger yield and less watering all the best bro

S

Scott64a

I'm not sold on coco medium yet... unless we're talking about Ice-T's wife's ass hahaha On THAT, I'm sold.

Coco in breathable pots, not so much.

Last edited:

steasy88

LMAO bro coco good for indoor grows keep the roots breathing I like to keep a fan blowing air around my smart pots too all the best

deltronZER0

I had issues with coco heavy soil blends in the past, but I don't have a problem with the smart pots wicking too much. They're similar to the landscaping fabric you can buy, but thicker, so the fabric doesn't wet very easily. I like what they do for my roots, which is the primary reason I use them. They rely on air pruning which is the idea that when a root reaches air as it grows, it stops growing outward, and starts to sprout roots outward from itself for more efficient root growth. This doesn't happen in plastic pots, evidenced by swirly roots at the bottom of your root ball. I've anecdotally confirmed this when I turned out the rootballs of my plants after I chopped and they were perfectly full of roots with no root bind.

Today I'm planting the dream queen into a 2 gal smart pot with prob 1.5 gal of my soil mix, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ all I had left that of what I'd made up.

In other news, I got a compost tea brewer and am starting to bubble my water today to get ride of the chlorine and chloramine in the city water. Company is called tea lab, and they look solid. Gonna be droppin some "life cube" compost and "fish balls" hydrosylate also from tea labs.

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
S

Scott64a

Hmm... just saw a youtube video of a guy using a laundry basket lined with landscaping fabric.

May have to try it!

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Just an fyi. Chloramines wont bubble off like chlorine will. I know a few things will neutralize it, like molasses and humic acids. A good kdf carbon/sediment filter will get rid of both as well.

deltronZER0

Hmm... just saw a youtube video of a guy using a laundry basket lined with landscaping fabric.

May have to try it!

I spent a while subscribed to the growing big plants outdoors tread in the old Tom hill vendor forum on here, some of the big medical grows will use landscape fabric and 4x4 grid metal mesh to make giant 300+ gal smart pos, definitely worked well for em

deltronZER0

I may have to try some outside next season.
I bet if I bought a roll of the stuff I could make them around 30 gal.

Def aiming for bigger pots next season.

I hadn't thought of air pruning, but that makes sense and your findings are the proof.
Thanks for the info!

Watch out for cal/mag in coco outdoors. If I recall, that was the issue I ran into. Less of an issue indoors but no cal/mag outdo, and you're looking for pm/big problems

deltronZER0

Just an fyi. Chloramines wont bubble off like chlorine will. I know a few things will neutralize it, like molasses and humic acids. A good kdf carbon/sediment filter will get rid of both as well.

Source? I watched some vids by the company who sold the setup test for chloramines/chlorines over time as he bubbled, and he shows that the vast majority get bubbled away. He said he's made tea with water bubbled for less than that just fine, so I think I should be in good shape. Fingers crossed!

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Oh shit, i cant site one atm. Just thought it was common knowledge by now. But i should state that i have heard it will work but would take up to a week too effectively acheive. That was a statement from a local municipality. They gave a few suggestions and answered questions regarding removal of chlorine/chloramine. I edited to also say, if he was making teas it may have neutralized it anyways. Humic acids, molasses and such. So my point may be moot. Shit! Now i got myself thinking. I know for sure that constant irrigation with it couldnt be good. But in this situation, would the ingredients and aeration neutralize it?

deltronZER0

Oh shit, i cant site one atm. Just thought it was common knowledge by now. But i should state that i have heard it will work but would take up to a week too effectively acheive. That was a statement from a local municipality. They gave a few suggestions and answered questions regarding removal of chlorine/chloramine. I edited to also say, if he was making teas it may have neutralized it anyways. Humic acids, molasses and such. So my point may be moot. Shit! Now i got myself thinking. I know for sure that constant irrigation with it couldnt be good. But in this situation, would the ingredients and aeration neutralize it?

I've already been SO tempted to get a cell count slide and a microscope to look at it with, lil 700-1k outing just to count the bacteria, but I almost feel like I'd get my money's worth as an analytical fussy stash grower haha

deltronZER0

Hey all, just a quick update

Plants are looking lush after the aerated compost tea spray and drench I did last weekend. Pretty stoked, and will probably spray again in a week or two. Definitely recommend it, and the kit/ingredients from tea lab.

The dream queen is straight exploding after the transplant, its the small pot in the front row. Hadn't even planned on planting it after I found cooler genetics elsewhere, but decided fuckit, let's crowd my deck with plants this summer.

Front row, left to right:
Grapefruitxromulan, dream queen, black lights
Back row, left to right:
Guerilla Glue #4, '93 Afghan, gobstopper (vortexXcandy diesel)

Attachments

• IMG_3855.jpg
    IMG_3855.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 9

deltronZER0

Hey fam,

The ladies are looking great for the most part, which I'll post an update on soon, but I'm a little worried about the gfxromulan, which seems to have some patchy whiteness that I worry may be powdery mildew? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Latest posts