What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone using SM-90 in an aerocloner? And general SM-90 experiences thread

frostqueen

I've read a lot of discussions about SM-90 but I never hear anyone talk about using it in an aerocloner. I did see one person say that it is fine to use alongside Dutchmaster Zone. Thoughts?

Also curious about replacing Indicate5 with SM-90 when using miticides like floramite or forbid, or when doing fulvic/kelp foliars or Trueblooms foliars. Using it at 1:5 seems really excessive; I was thinking that a tablespoon a gallon should be enough...?

clown baby

Is this just to keep it sterile?

This might be unsolicited input, but you can also run plain clorox bleach (chlorine) at about 4ppm. lots cheaper and it works the same. I made a stock dilution from the chlorox and add it at 1mL per gallon of reservoir solution to hit 4.5ppm.

I used to use DM Zone, and wondered why it smelled like bleach... I think the only extra they really add is some copper sulfide. Now I'm getting the same results with bleach, at an exponentially cheaper cost per gallon. Just don't spill it on your clothes!

I'm probably not supposed to link other forums: so here's at least an icmag thread where solid growers like krunch and yosemitesam discuss their use of bleach
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=184825&page=4

Search google for fatman "bleach instead of h2o2" for some more quanitifiable information. The guy can come off as a dick but he really knows his stuff.

Lyfespan

frost i have been using SM-90 in my aero cloner for awhile now, nothing to worry about that ive seen, it does help with keeping the nozzles clean and spraying nicely, as well as helping the roots not get all tangled when pulling the clones out if you let the roots go too long.

Lyfespan

SM-90 is a great foliar assistant, love adding it to my fogger, it gets every nook and cranny

frostqueen

Is this just to keep it sterile?

This might be unsolicited input, but you can also run plain clorox bleach (chlorine) at about 4ppm. lots cheaper and it works the same. I made a stock dilution from the chlorox and add it at 1mL per gallon of reservoir solution to hit 4.5ppm.

I used to use DM Zone, and wondered why it smelled like bleach... I think the only extra they really add is some copper sulfide. Now I'm getting the same results with bleach, at an exponentially cheaper cost per gallon. Just don't spill it on your clothes!

I'm probably not supposed to link other forums: so here's at least an icmag thread where solid growers like krunch and yosemitesam discuss their use of bleach
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=184825&page=4

Search google for fatman "bleach instead of h2o2" for some more quanitifiable information. The guy can come off as a dick but he really knows his stuff.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I've been using Snype's cloner formula, which uses pool shock/calcium hypochlorite. Great stuff, works every time.

I'm just curious about other uses of SM-90 for the most part. There is a bit of mystery about its uses and function. I love the smell. I've used it to clean out my aerocloner for a couple years, so I just wondered if it would function as a replacement for the pool shock, or maybe work together with it.

LostTribe

Premium user
You shouldn't need it in an aero cloner. You DO need to clean out the aerocloner after every set with a water bleach solution helps to run the pump with that mix in there too so you clean the pump, tubing and misters at the same time. Scrubber pads for any grime.

I use SM90 at 2ml/gallon in Hydro with each watering and additions to my rez.

PBP 15ml/gal
calmag+ 5ml/gal
3-15ml of Hydroguard 15 at early veg then tapper off to 3 later on mostly at 5ml after first dose.
SM90 2-3ml/gal
sometimes I add 10ml of LK but not always.
RO always
5.7 ph allowed to float to 6.2 then back down.

SM90 and Hydroguard can be used together according to SM90 and Botanicare.

If you are experiencing hot temps move the aero to a cooler spot if you are getting root rot and brown root and or bad smells add some hydroguard then try the sm90. I do add 5ml/gal hydroguard to my aero cloner when its warmer. Also PBP bloom at 5ml/gal and 2ml/gal calmag+. Thats it.

Clean it up with water and bleach.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Hey, LT. Supposedly SM-90 is systemic and some people choose to switch to Hydroguard after 2 weeks from the beginning of flower. I'm not sure how long SM-90 stays in the plant myself.

frostqueen

You shouldn't need it in an aero cloner. You DO need to clean out the aerocloner after every set with a water bleach solution helps to run the pump with that mix in there too so you clean the pump, tubing and misters at the same time. Scrubber pads for any grime.

I use SM90 at 2ml/gallon in Hydro with each watering and additions to my rez.

PBP 15ml/gal
calmag+ 5ml/gal
3-15ml of Hydroguard 15 at early veg then tapper off to 3 later on mostly at 5ml after first dose.
SM90 2-3ml/gal
sometimes I add 10ml of LK but not always.
RO always
5.7 ph allowed to float to 6.2 then back down.

SM90 and Hydroguard can be used together according to SM90 and Botanicare.

If you are experiencing hot temps move the aero to a cooler spot if you are getting root rot and brown root and or bad smells add some hydroguard then try the sm90. I do add 5ml/gal hydroguard to my aero cloner when its warmer. Also PBP bloom at 5ml/gal and 2ml/gal calmag+. Thats it.

Clean it up with water and bleach.

Thanks for the reply, Lost. I appreciate the perspective. I'm mainly just curious about SM-90 and exploring options. I've never had any slime or root rot using Snype's formula. I take the temps up to 78 with no problems, and after the run finishes there is nothing to rinse out, although I do it anyway similar to the way you describe; first with anti-bacterial soap and a scrubber, then with SM-90. Never cleaned it out with bleach although that makes sense.

Good to know regarding the SM-90 and Hydroguard. Those are things I always keep on the shelf. I might try a run using those instead of pool shock, although the clones seem totally fine with the chlorine.

For reference, Snype's cloner formula:

(per gallon)
2 ml GH micro
3 ml GH bloom
6 drops Superthrive
6 ml pool shock solution, added every 3 days for 3 additions total.

ph stays at 5.7 to 5.9

(Pool shock solution is made by adding 1 gram of pool shock to 1 gallon of water.)

frostqueen

So, does anyone know if chlorine and SM-90 have any problems together? I could see both as having good results in a sterile aerocloner situation...

I was hoping more people were interested in discussing their use of SM-90. Maybe the lack of info keeps people from using it.

frostqueen

I'm probably just talking to myself at this point, but... I contacted the maker of SM-90. They confirm that it does not interact with or conflict with chloramine/pool shock.

This seems like an ideal twin-attack for reservoir health and sterility. I'll try it with Snype's clone formula in my aerocloner next round.