What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

plants in ppk's

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I think if someone posts pics they should also mention how many week veg they did

please tell me, good Doctor, why is that?

i specifically asked for pics of ppk plants, comments from ppk growers, and questions about the ppk from anyone, grower or not.

could you phrase this into a question?

i don't know about the others but mine were usually 6-7 weeks from bare cutting.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
just want to say that my motivation for putting up my personal pics is to show the general overall health of the plants.

as in any method one can veg as long or as short as they wish.

we all know that we have individual limits on space or lighting and flip plants based on these constraints.

but if speed of growth is what you want to see demonstrated, the ppk will grow plants as fast or faster than any other technique out there.

if a ppk plant flowers in 10 weeks and produces 2 lbs of bud and a rwdc or an undercurrent, or a pot of coco watered dtw for that matter, also produces 2 lbs of bud, in 10 weeks, which one was faster?

in my previous threads i have, numerous times, tracked plants through every phase of their growth, usually with yardsticks and rulers for reference, yet i still get disbelieving folks.

what does it take?

DrFever

Veteran
The reason i think is most people also look at veg times and size of a plant like LED claiming there 400 LED grow light is comparable to a 1000 watt hid ???
Sure someone can post pictures of a monster tree grown in that set up i will use LED for a example boasting it and leading people to believe that holy crap that's amazing,,,
but fail to mention it took 7 months to get it there leaving out important areas that we as growers tend to think is important
lol that is why i suggested might be good idea to mention how many week veg it took to get there plants there is all no biggie really plant pictures on here look amazing and that is why i want to try this my self

HL45

Veteran
I have no webs, stuck on a tablet...or I'd be dropping some monster pics. D9 feel free to post some of my trees if ya wish.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here's one of your 3 pounders! i'll let you put up the rest when you have a chance.

Attachments

• hl451.jpg
    hl451.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 17

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here's a few from my friend permacultuure. here we used discarded undercurrent buckets for the bottoms and sawn off 55 gal drums for the tops. so that means those drum tops are 24" across for reference.

Rocketman64

Mini PPK

Mini PPK

Thanks to Delta for the inspiration on this build. I've been a hardcore soil grower since the early 80's, never had a need to do it any other way.
Flash forward 30 years and I stumble across Delta's thread on this passive plant killer gizmo. Being a huge DIY guy and always interested in anything science, the PPK build he was working on at the time intrigued me. I lurked his threads for a year or so before signing on with IC.
It took a little while but eventually Delta had it dialed in and then was generous enough to share all his hard work with us.
I certainly wouldn't call what I've constructed 'impressive' by anybody's standards, however, the exact same principals were used for this Mini PPK system as Delta's huge grows. This is the second version of this little unit and it works flawlessly. It's exactly what I needed for my small grow space and pumps out perfect plants every time and fast.
Every plant I grow is under 4-42w CFL's. The first three shots are photos of an un-known strain grown from a seed from good ole' Mexican brown weed from the 80's. It was a good, clean, uplifting Sativa high I remember well, so glad I kept a few bags of seeds from back in the day. All these were taken around 5 weeks into flower.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=58390&pictureid=1366743
Cinderella 99

Blackberry

HL45

Veteran
Nice set up rocket man. A perfect example of someone who properly interprets the concepts of the ppk and applies them to their situation. . I also lurked and read the thread long before I posted and I still didn't fully understand everything until a few grows in.

Very cool that you have a bagseed from the 80s of some.of your favorite smoke. Would love to sample that someday.

Are you still growing in soil? Have you grown the same strain in the ppk and soil? If so how do they compare?

Rocketman64

Thanks for the comments HD. I have grown two of the same variety side by side in soil and ppk and there's simply no comparison. PPK plants just freakin take off once they're established. The soil plants I've grown still end up nice plants but take way longer to pack on the beef. I can put a PPK plant into flower in less than two weeks from seed, soil takes 4 or more to get to the size I like for flowering.
Keep in mind, I don't grow trees and I'm not after huge yields, just quality. I grow only for my own consumption so the PPK is the perfect system for trying new strains as they mature quickly and show sex quickly.
I live in a state in the US that's still in the dark ages when it comes to marijuana laws so I'm still forced to keep everything hidden and hushed. In the winter I PPK like crazy, in the summer I go outside to an undisclosed location with seedlings. I don't go back to those plants until late October to harvest. Sometimes I find plants, sometimes I don't.
If anybody is interested in getting details of this cute little PPK system for their own grows, I would be more than happy to provide details. I'll start a different thread so as not to clog up Delta's picture-palooza. Peace.

Rocketman64

I also forgot to mention the quality of the smoke from PPK vs. Soil. I've seen no noticeable differences in the taste or quality of the smoke when comparing the two. If anything, the PPK system seems to grow a bud that has a bit more stink to them for some reason. I can't say for sure if it's my lighting technique or something different but the bottom line is the taste and the medicine is there for me either way.
I've heard people say hydro-grown buds can have a chemical taste, never noticed this. I do not flush my plants at the end of the grow. If you know anything about biology, you would know flushing does absolutely nothing to change the plant's chemistry. The terpenes that are providing the smell and taste are not going to be affected by simply allowing the plant to suck water instead of nutrients, it just doesn't work that way.
So, in review: I can't tell the difference between my soil-grown plants vs. PPK-grown plants when we're comparing taste and the quality of medicine. Comparing growth rates and general health of plants, PPK is the CLEAR winner.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey rocketman64! welcome and thank you for the kind words!

and the pics! looking forward to your thread!

d9