What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snails!

Maddas

Hey guys, had a bad run in with some snails. Almost ate through a branch. Now taking precautions against them but I really wanna if there's anything I can do to reinvigorate the plant and help it get past this stressful period with ease. I'd be grateful for anyone's input.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Try spraying with a Kelp supplement. It has a lot of hormones in it and will help the plant get through a rough patch. Kelp is rooted in the sea bed and needs to grow all the way to the top of the water so it has a lot of grow hormones in it.

If the slugs bother you again you can try those galvanized strips that are lawn dividers. When the slug slime hits the galvanized metal, the slug turns into a small battery. That will give you some satisfaction.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I actually meant snails. Those critters are all the same anyway. Years ago some slugs tried to eat my plants so I fried them with the galvanized metal. I think you can buy poison bait for slugs/snails but that is some really bad stuff in there.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Well most everybody puts out some beer around there plants lol. I got a small cup at the base of almost all my containers. Early this season those fucking things eat the leaves off some of my plants. I need to put a lil fresh BL in my cups because the rain and everything will knock them over and the dog will fuckin drink it. But it seems to work good. I've used the snail slug away stuff at Walmart too so maybe get that to.

My plants were eat up and I just gave them some TLC. I also use maxi crop seaweed as I believe 100% that it helps your plants in more ways than we even know. I've used this indoors and outdoors liquid and soluble and wouldn't even start a plant without it.....so I'd water with some seaweed and keep the bugs off it, maybe spray with a 3-1 neem fungicide. I've removed some leaves but try not to remove everything all at once. If you remove the leaves because there damaged so bad maybe remove a few and leave the ones that's not as bad. I just put a female Shitf2 in the ground a week or so ago that was eat up. Almost every leaf on her was damaged but I removed the worst looking ones and the bigger ones I left. There still damaged bad but if I remove them I'll wait another week or 2 . The plants already looking better and re/growth is starting. Sometimes a transplant if you can and water with seaweed and just keep the bugs off it and so extra TLC....that's about all you can do. You may benefit from a small dose of thrive alive. I wouldn't mix it up to strong and it should help. You just gotta be careful thrive alive is strong stuff.

troutman

Seed Whore
They sell slug and snail baits/killers that are like pellets.

Broadcast them all over your grow area and breathe easy. :tiphat:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
They sell slug and snail baits/killers that are like pellets.

Broadcast them all over your grow area and breathe easy. :tiphat:

Yea I got a box from Walmart ....like $7 for a decent size box. I gets expensive putting beer out especially when it's raining and getting the cups over filled. If I could put a cap over the cups you put beer in so the snail/slugs could still get in. It's hard outdoors there's 100 things you gotta try to keep from getting your plants:tiphat:

kaochiu

Veteran
Sand and ashes, they can't pass through. Problem is when it rains, also when snails and slugs are more active. If you can manage to cover it, it's a good clean cheap effective barrier.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Sluggo!
SluggoSlugBait.jpg

It is simply iron phosphate.
Deadly for slugs and snails. Safe for everything else.
Slug baits containing EDTA iron phosphate and Metaldehyde are not safe however, so watch what you use.

Maddas

Thanks guys. Think I'll try the galvanised metal and beer thing as a deterrent. Got some alga 3000 which is seaweed extract essentially and I'll feed it with that and see what happens. Cheers guys.