What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Re-hydrating cannabis with wet paper placed in a bin with a lid on it.

shaggyballs

Veteran
What are you thoughts on this topic?

How will it effect the taste?
How will it smoke once rehydrated?
Will it get moldy?
Would it have been better to leave it dry?
Anything else I need to think about when doing this?

Thanks
shag

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Don't know.

Break a terra cotta pot and dip a piece of it in water. Seal it up in the bucket. It will re-hydrate without making the cannabis wet. ;)

caliprop215

Veteran
Works great. I put a damp non dripping paper towel stuck to the lid of the jar. Bring back moisture in couple hours. It might have some dif taste but its better then crumbly weed

Brother Nature

I had a mate who went a way for a couple years, came back and still had his harvest, but it had gone very very dry. He used to jar up roughly an OZ and put a slice of an orange peel in the jar and leave it for about a day. This did bring a little moisture back to the dry nugs, but it certainly didn't make it any better. The taste was still harsh, but it did smoke better. A paper towel seems like it'd accomplish the same thing, but I'd be a little more vigilant with keeping an eye on it. Would probably be best to dry and cure your stuff properly the first time around, but obviously this isn't as easily done as said, especially with large harvests. :)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
If your stash is well cured re hydrating only effects the burn.

Humidity and moisture content are different conditions,
but you will find a solution that works for you.

Let us know how you proceed and the results gained, if any.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
while you can rehydrate the buds, you will never recover the lost terepenes
you also run the risk of mold because you are adding water to the mix, i would just leave the dried bud alone
/but thats just me; i would make hash
this could prove to be an interesting exercise so im interested in hearing how it all works out for you

CrushnYuba

I can't believe people haven't really figured this stuff out yet. Don't use orange peels or tortilla or anything other then water. And don't put anything wet directly on your weed.
Make the air humid and the ganj will soak it up uniformly without wet spots and without getting too wet. For somewhat larger scale, put a humidifier in a bathroom or something and open the bag up. For small scale, u can put it in a plastic tote and spray the LID. Not weed directly.

You will never get lost terps back.

shaggyballs

Veteran
I was told this is what the big boys are doing.
So I wanted to get the opinion of others here.
I tried it myself and I think I should have left it as it was and smoked it dry.
The taste went to hell the smoke was ok, but the dry stuff was better no doubt.
I did not let it get moldy but it could have really easy.
Conclusions were, just smoke it dry, unless you are trying to add weight.
Not my thing at all.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I was told this is what the big boys are doing.
So I wanted to get the opinion of others here.
I tried it myself and I think I should have left it as it was and smoked it dry.
The taste went to hell the smoke was ok, but the dry stuff was better no doubt.
I did not let it get moldy but it could have really easy.
Conclusions were, just smoke it dry, unless you are trying to add weight.
Not my thing at all.

Well said, honest assessment of the process.

CrushnYuba

I don't think that's true. Adding a couple % of moisture back isn't going to negatively affect taste unless it gets too much moisture put back in. I use a moisture meter to make sure it's not over 12% moisture.
Just opening the bag in a room that is like 65-70% rh is not going to add that much back. It can add like 15g per lb back of water weight of it goes from 8 to 12% but it's not For weight. It's to stop it from crumbling.

eric2028

Veteran
Add 4 live fan leaves per gallon bag. 2 on each side. It ll take about 3 days and the leaves will be crispy dry.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you thoughts on this topic?

How will it effect the taste?
How will it smoke once rehydrated?
Will it get moldy?
Would it have been better to leave it dry?
Anything else I need to think about when doing this?

Thanks
shag

If you feel like you have to rehydrate your dried flowers...
Use tortillas. They dont leave a smell or flavor.

green404

I have done this with small amounts. Sometimes when a bag of dense nugs dries out I will take a small wad of paper and get it wet put it in the bag for 30mins or so just to get the herbs a small % of moisture back.

Dense nugs are easier and nicer to deal with when they have some moisture. I never noticed any thing along the way of taste.

As far a mold, you do not want the paper to touch the buds, just to evaporate in the same space. If you leave the paper in too long the herbs will get too much and you have to dry them out. Distilled water is the best. I have also heard many people use a piece of tortilla.

Roam around in the desert in summertime with a bag of weed and it will get dry after a few days.

Last edited:
X

xavier7995

I have a hard time keeping my rh proper when drying so sometimes overshoot. This leaves me with overly dried buds and small stems but the main stalk still has plenty of moisture. So i just cut a piece or two of the main stalk down to the length of the jar and stick it in with the buds. Works like a charm and doesnt negatively impact taste/smell assuming you use the stems from the same strain. I have pruned a larfy branch of a current grow and stuck it in an old jar to liven it back up a bit as well.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Old "trick": When we would get bales that were dried out, we would put it on a sheet in the back yard,all spread out, and leave it to the morning dew. This freshens up the herb amazingly.

Latest posts

Latest posts