What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Far red sleep initiator in veg?

G

I have added some 730's and 660's on separate drivers for the grow tent. I know I dont need the 660's yet.

My question is it common practice to also use the 730's at end of light cycle for sleep initiation in veg as well as flower? Or am I missing the obvious. Would seem fine to do in veg and flower.

Last edited:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I am enamored with lighting and try everything, usually in side by sides, just to see.
Sometimes good, sometimes rather silly, like when I used all violet to see if it caused high energy production. I was younger then.

Far Red at 730 nm has been used for the last three years in all phases of growth. Turns out using too much in bud in not good.
The longer wave red without the rest of the spectrum fools the plant into thinking it is full on rainy season and leaf growth goes nuts if left under far red for more than three hours at night.

As for veg, the growth differences were within the margin of error. It is used anyway as it costs almost nothing, the light and timer together are under $100 and at an hour per day will last for ten or more years.

Seedling do better with the half hour of Far Red at dusk and dawn, leaf growth is a little bit faster and stems are not as wobbly. It will not fix bad lighting or environment but will accelerate leaf and root growth somewhat.

It definitely kicks ass in the bud room, stray seeds are down, hermaphrodites are down, the entire plant is just more stable.
Yields remained unchanged, as did potency.
All the sterile tiny seeds that tend to show up in sativa strains are way less, as are the viable seeds that work their way up the plant starting around six weeks.

Some strains seeded badly enough I quit growing them, the Far Red helps a lot.

G

I am enamored with lighting and try everything, usually in side by sides, just to see.
Sometimes good, sometimes rather silly, like when I used all violet to see if it caused high energy production. I was younger then.

Far Red at 730 nm has been used for the last three years in all phases of growth. Turns out using too much in bud in not good.
The longer wave red without the rest of the spectrum fools the plant into thinking it is full on rainy season and leaf growth goes nuts if left under far red for more than three hours at night.

As for veg, the growth differences were within the margin of error. It is used anyway as it costs almost nothing, the light and timer together are under $100 and at an hour per day will last for ten or more years.

Seedling do better with the half hour of Far Red at dusk and dawn, leaf growth is a little bit faster and stems are not as wobbly. It will not fix bad lighting or environment but will accelerate leaf and root growth somewhat.

It definitely kicks ass in the bud room, stray seeds are down, hermaphrodites are down, the entire plant is just more stable.
Yields remained unchanged, as did potency.
All the sterile tiny seeds that tend to show up in sativa strains are way less, as are the viable seeds that work their way up the plant starting around six weeks.

Some strains seeded badly enough I quit growing them, the Far Red helps a lot.
I presume just 10 minutes +- at end of light cycle same as flower?