What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants that won't self

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
It's been a while since I started a thread so I figure I'd reset the clock and start one.

I was bongin out thinking about plants that either produce very little viable seed when selfed or refuse to make any at all.

Exodus cheese and OGKB are two that readily come to mind but I'm sure there are more.

I was originally thinking about how sometimes when you reverse a plant the pollen clumps up and isn't readily carried off by the wind. I then got to thinking(keep in mind I'm not a scholar, I'm just a fkn stoner) that the plants were either producing something that was making the pollen stick together or failing to produce a substance that under normal circumstances would coat healthy pollen and not allow it to clump. I didn't and still don't know much about pollen so please go easy on me!haha

I was going on logic at this point so it was time to hit the books! Logic has screwed me before!lol I have a decent library so it didn't take long to find out that there is indeed a substance that coats each individual grain pollen. I forget the name. I'll try to find it and add later.

I wasn't able to find out if that substance kept the pollen grains from clumping up together but I did find out that the coating is what initiates fertilization by growing a tube(pollen tube) that eventually penetrates the ovule so the pollen grain can transfer its DNA into the egg.(something like that)haha

That finally got me to thinking...... what if the plants that won't self fertilize are like that because when they're reversed, the plant produces pollen without the coating or the coating isn't produced correctly, not allowing the pollen tube to grow. Again... I'm using stoner logic so be nice!haha

The thing I had to get past was obvious, how to get the stuff off of the good pollen(pollen that will fertilize OGKB/Exodus) and get it on the reversed OGKB/Ezodus pollen in the hopes that it would improve fertilization without the "donor" pollen fertilizing anything.

Well.....I don't post much about what I'm into because I'm into things that can be controversial and a liability to talk about. The breeding techniques I've been interested in for nearly 20 years can be dangerous for the experienced, nevermind the inexperienced. I'm not gonna go to far into it but it it did give me an idea.

I could sterilized the pollen with X-rays(I have very powerful X-ray generators). I could hit them with extreme UV rays(modified 1000mh bulb) I could even expose them to all kinds of radioactive material.haha

Anyone of these treatments would sterilize the pollen without affecting the "coating". The sterile pollen could then be placed in the same vial as the OGKB/Exodus pollen and mixed. Theoretically coating the pollen without the substance with the substance from the donor pollen.

Because this substance will still be on the donor (sterilized)pollen it will help grow the pollen tube for the pollen that wasn't coated as well.

The important thing would be to make damn sure that the donor pollen is completely sterilized so that there won't be any unwanted fertilization. Anything short of complete sterilization using these techniques would more than likely lead to extreme mutations in any of the seeds that made it plus they'd be fathered by the wrong plant.

EXTREME CARE would have to be taken of course.

This is just a theory as I haven't been able to source either cuts. Truth be told, I haven't really tried all that hard to get them.

If OGKB phenos are polyploid(I haven't been able to verify this either) than this won't help as chromosome incompatibility is a different and known subject.

I'm not sure about any of this as it's only a theory. I'm interested in any thoughts though.

I have other thoughts on how this technique could possibly be used to do other things but ethics prevent me from going into this further.haha

Spaventa

Veteran
I don't know about selfing or pollen but I do know they use electrical charges to keep stuff from clumping. Positive or negative charges depending what it is but they use that principle on everything from blood in neurosurgery to packaged powdered goods.

Maybe something to look into, I don't know but good luck with it. Very interesting project.

Btw. Those of us frequently posting in the thread regarding the Cheese are all looking for her. AFAIK, The only person who definitely has her who's posted in there is OJD. The OP has tested 8 cuts, 3 of which Ive also had. Ive kept the one they think is the closest/most likely but Im currently testing another I believe is more likely the real deal. Ive passed it to a few others so it shouldn't be to hard to find before long.

Badfishy1

I don't know about selfing or pollen but I do know they use electrical charges to keep stuff from clumping. Positive or negative charges depending what it is but they use that principle on everything from blood in neurosurgery to packaged powdered goods.

Maybe something to look into, I don't know but good luck with it. Very interesting project.

Btw. Those of us frequently posting in the thread regarding the Cheese are all looking for her. AFAIK, The only person who definitely has her who's posted in there is OJD. The OP has tested 8 cuts, 3 of which Ive also had. Ive kept the one they think is the closest/most likely but Im currently testing another I believe is more likely the real deal. Ive passed it to a few others so it shouldn't be to hard to find before long.

Who is ojd bud?

Spaventa

Veteran
A member here. I don't know him, just saw his post saying he had it but don't ask for a cut.
He said he will put it back into circulation at some point via people he actually knows offline.

He is the proprietor/breeder of Connoisseur Genetics so its entirely plausible he has it.

Not sure he's on here much lately either as I messaged him weeks ago (not for a cut) and got no response - i bet he's somewhere sunny.

Badfishy1

A member here. I don't know him, just saw his post saying he had it but don't ask for a cut.
He said he will put it back into circulation at some point via people he actually knows offline.

He is the proprietor/breeder of Connoisseur Genetics so its entirely plausible he has it.

Not sure he's on here much lately either as I messaged him weeks ago (not for a cut) and got no response - i bet he's somewhere sunny.

Thanks have been watching that thread a while and couldn't figure out who he was

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
@spaventa- thanks for the info. Interesting stuff.

I think the tech is called Mentor pollen! Spent some time on google and found a bunch of info on the technique!

Looks like I'm a little late to the party!haha

Could this have been Franco's RIP method for selfing the exodus cut?

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I read one paper that said the donor pollen could be sterilized by repeatedly freezing and thawing.

So no fancy/dangerous equip is necessary.

Latest posts

Latest posts