What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

8 plants in a 3' tent

DoDad

They said it couldn't be done. They said not to use these 1 gallon pots and don't grow them so close. Part of that, I thought was wrong.

I'm about to say something you might not have heard about growing cannabis. It's not my discovery but someone else's, who did some real experimenting and blogged about it. He was right!

He said; It's not the width of the container that matters but the depth.

So, these 1 gallon tree pots you see here are as deep as a 5 gallon pot but take up only 4".

You see here, I run 8 plants in a 3'x 1.5' tent and grow them like a single organism this way. I just grow for my own medical use and this method grows plenty.

This is 70/30 Perlite to Vermiculite and Maxi Bloom at 7g per gallon.

That's it!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 14
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 12

Spaventa

Veteran
What light?

I grow 9 plants at a time in 3 x 3 under a 315 CMH. 1 sq. ft per plant.

Its my best indoor setup ever... and my smallest lol

I have an Aero system thats just under 3' x 3' which i use when Im running 9 clones but when Im running different things together I grow in 6" Rockwool using the aeros systems base/res as a tray.

DoDad

I run one 150w HPS and 4 CFL's so I have about 300w too. I use this for my flower tent.

I don't veg long either and run Female Seeds c99 with a 60 day flower cycle.

For cloning, I use rapid rooters, then into a 32oz. 70/30 Perlite drain to waste system. They will veg in that for about a month, then gets planted deep in the tree pot, and flipped.

Attachments

• 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 9

Spaventa

Veteran
Nice. Neat little setups ftw. I loved C99 when I grew her about 15 years ago. i had a cherry pheno that Ive learned since is incredibly rare. she was too racy for me though - all head and no body hit. I had Apollo 11 at the same time and that was a lot better so I let cindy go.
Ive been through some female seeds lines last year and Blueberry Cheesecake showed promise but I was already on a different quest.

DoDad

Nice. Neat little setups ftw. I loved C99 when I grew her about 15 years ago. i had a cherry pheno that Ive learned since is incredibly rare. she was too racy for me though - all head and no body hit. I had Apollo 11 at the same time and that was a lot better so I let cindy go.
Ive been through some female seeds lines last year and Blueberry Cheesecake showed promise but I was already on a different quest.

Thanks. I live in a small 1 bed apartment so space is at a premium. I put that tub of clones in my closet and because c99 doesn't smell much, I don't wear it. :)

That clone tub is homemade and so is my watering system.

Here is what I made for my flower tent. The rez resides outside the tent so I don't have PH shift issues, the pump is on a timer and what drains off goes back into the rez, outside the tent.

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 11
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 9
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 13

Spaventa

Veteran
That looks great. I live in a 3 storey 4 bedroom house but my wife and daughters use about 95% of it so I have a 3 x 3 storeroom with 6 ft ceiling. This is what I described and where I flower. I have my mothers and babies in my wifes ensuite bathroom - no tent nothing lol just a Maxibright 110w veg light and a tray with lots of 3" Rockwool cubes fighting for position.

Im literally bored of looking at big grows. sure they are impressive but I always think so what, if you have the space and resources and you want to make money sure but what inspires me are the guys who manage with such limited options. big respect because your plants look great and that says it all - its small but efficient.

DoDad

[FONT=&quot]
That looks great.

big respect because your plants look great and that says it all - its small but efficient.

Thanks again. My whole grow takes about 5 linear feet of wall space. 3' tent and a 2' Veg box.

I had a TON of failures until i got things dialed in and now it's almost an auto grow.

After I figured out I could grow this, I went to making the system the lowest level of effort I could. I couldn't find a system that I wanted, so I had to build them.

I may leave a few grams behind but I still grow more than I can consume and it's nearly effortless. There are weeks that go by I wouldn't have to open the tent unless I was raising lights.

The important part of this post is how narrow my pots are. The guy that did the experiment which inspired me, grew in several types of cylinders some down to the size of a cigar tube.

What he found and showed in his post was he could grow cannabis TREES in a 2.5" round tube as long as it was 14' long. He showed it was length, not girth that made the difference in the size of your container which is contrary to what we are taught.

I just took what he showed in his tests and instead of tubes, I used 4' tree pots and it works as you see. At 1 gallon per pot, I figure I save medium and water and nutes and space and mess and I'm still at about 1 gram per watt.

There is another advantage to these tree pots. When I first transplant into them from vegetation, I can really bury that stem much deeper than in a traditional pot producing more roots in the top of the tree pot while negating the stretch that occurred during veg.

The net result is that FS says that c99 needs 40" to finish and I do it in under 36". Ha!

Feeding is 100% the K.I.S.S. System. AKA Tap water and Maxibloom and literally NOTHING else.

[/FONT]

Attachments

• 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 8a.jpg
    8a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
I remember a guy doing the same thing with tubes. This was about 12 years ago. The rootspace influences the growth. He got no branching just single top but planted so densely he flew past 1g/Watt with 2 weeks veg.

ion

im very excited about this, thanks for sharing.....are you guys talking about dr bud?

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
If you're going deep and skinny do SOG and get the containers all right next to eachother, you'll have a full potential rootspace with a full canopy then with zero veg time. With the right strain you would have amazing results, those containers are peeerrrrrrfect for SOG.

Just trying to be helpful here, you could use those fluoros outside the tent for your momma, maybe put a 250W in there, or add another 150W for even coverage, and then run clones SOG, have it all be your favorite medical pheno, and save money on seeds.

You are making me feel nostalgic for my first grow cabinet days, I think mine was 3ftx2.5ft. I donated a clone to someone with the same cabinet and he did a drip coco SOG using two-liter soda bottles that got wonderful results.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Nice, you can really pack clones with those tree pots. I've use the 3" version in a vertical colesium before with great luck. I packed 30 clones around a 150-watt CMH bulb and they would yield about 3-4 grams dry each. I was running it perpetual. I started using fewer pots due to the effort involved with so many plants. I do miss the constant supply though.

picture.php

Can't wait to see more. :lurk:

DoDad

If you're going deep and skinny do SOG and get the containers all right next to eachother, you'll have a full potential rootspace with a full canopy then with zero veg time. With the right strain you would have amazing results, those containers are peeerrrrrrfect for SOG.

Just trying to be helpful here, you could use those fluoros outside the tent for your momma, maybe put a 250W in there, or add another 150W for even coverage, and then run clones SOG, have it all be your favorite medical pheno, and save money on seeds.

I need o see examples please.

DoDad

Nice, you can really pack clones with those tree pots. I've use the 3" version in a vertical colesium before with great luck. I packed 30 clones around a 150-watt CMH bulb and they would yield about 3-4 grams dry each. I was running it perpetual. I started using fewer pots due to the effort involved with so many plants. I do miss the constant supply though.

View Image

Can't wait to see more. :lurk:

Yes, watering all of them are a pain. I made a system to run a hose to each, then I pump water to them via a pump on a timer.

I figure you could make hempy bucket of these tree pots if you seal up the end and drill a hole 2" up like you would for a 5 gallon hempy.

I had another idea. An air pruning hempy tree pot. It's basically a fabric/smart self watering tree pot. I don't know if it would work but it might look something like this.

Call it a smart hempy?

Attachments

• smarthempy.jpg
    smarthempy.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 13

DoDad

Yes, watering all of them are a pain. I made a system to run a hose to each, then I pump water to them via a pump on a timer.

I figure you could make hempy bucket of these tree pots if you seal up the end and drill a hole 2" up like you would for a 5 gallon hempy.

I had another idea. An air pruning hempy tree pot. It's basically a fabric/smart self watering tree pot. I don't know if it would work but it might look something like this.

Call it a smart hempy?

I see my tree smart hempy didn't get any comment. Ha! That's another thing people could be missing.

When Ion did his tests, most people blew him off too, but he was right. I grow a ton of bud per sq. using these tall narrow pots. Thanks Ion.

One reason I jumped on Ion's idea so hard was something I learned first hand in my vegetable garden. I read a book on something called French Intensive Gardening. I used that method and grew more veggies per sq foot than any of my neighbors who said it wouldn't work. They were also wrong. It did work and so do these tree pots, BIG TIME.

I just started another 8 plant run yesterday after I cleaned the tent, the tree pots and all associated hardware.

After transplanting yesterday, here is a photo of all 8 sitting pretty ready to go.

I also made up a new batch of perl/verm at 3:1 and put these ladies in fresh medium. In a couple of months, my tent will look like girls gone wild.

The final piece to this method of growing is the super cropping. I never top, but bend my tops over, then tuck them under tops of other plants.

I do this to keep the canopy even but also to produce flower production all the way down the stem. I grow a hedge of flowers that grow horizontal down the tent. It's a tangled sweet mess of tops.

Finally, on the lights. I haven't noticed much if any difference in cfl or hps, but what I have noticed is a difference when I use them at different distances.

For CFL get them as close as you can without touching and I used the chart below for HPS.

My 150w I can get as close as 9 or 10 inches before I get any leaf curl. Get a tape measure, and measure it so you know. Why?

The closer the HPS, the more intense the light. You can use the same chart below for your own distance as a starting point and I think you'll see good results.

That's it for me. I always wanted to do one of these after reading so many and now I've done it. I've shared what I've learned from this forum and hopefully given something back.

Good luck to all the new growers!

Oh...and have your pet's spayed and neutered, and buy that new Vaporizer.

Attachments

• IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6087.jpg
    IMG_6087.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 10
  • post-46142-1269868177.jpg
    post-46142-1269868177.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 18

ion

dodad, can ya give up the source on those pots? worthless-ass Gurgle is not giving me what i ask for in searching. a brand name, a retailer, anything you got bro. give it up, please.

banquo

This system looks really intriguing to me, as I have limited space. Could you run this in Supersoil, hand watering? I don't care about yield, I have a low tolerance.

Latest posts

Latest posts