What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nitrogen butane push?

Old Gold

As you are doing this, what happens to the vapors that reach the collection pot? If the answer is "they sit in the collection pot, then you have a back-pressure problem. Give them an empty, cold vessel to travel towards.

40 mesh is huge. I use 3 micron and 11 micron filter papers.

Sriley28

As you are doing this, what happens to the vapors that reach the collection pot? If the answer is "they sit in the collection pot, then you have a back-pressure problem. Give them an empty, cold vessel to travel towards.

40 mesh is huge. I use 3 micron and 11 micron filter papers.

Well damn! Lol 40 mesh was the smallest gasket I could find.
That second vessel, do I have that open the whole time or just once I vapor push?

Old Gold

Leave it open the while time, so that any nitrogen or solvent vapors (the 5-10psi in collection pot) has a place to go and condense, as to create a "pull" effect on the collection pot, and subsequently the material column.

Grab yourself a stainless steel filter plate setup (I see your system is from OSS - they have them) and put that beneath the plant material, with paper filters and steel rings that hold the filter paper in place.

Sriley28

Leave it open the while time, so that any nitrogen or solvent vapors (the 5-10psi in collection pot) has a place to go and condense, as to create a "pull" effect on the collection pot, and subsequently the material column.

Grab yourself a stainless steel filter plate setup (I see your system is from OSS - they have them) and put that beneath the plant material, with paper filters and steel rings that hold the filter paper in place.

yeah its a mix of OSS and Extractor depot (which i regret ordering from extractor depot). I have 2 filter plates already. i just didn't put them back in for the pic. whats getting in my oil is very small pieces of trim. It's almost looks like someone sprinkled pepper on my slab. i think some higher micron paper will do the trick

Old Gold

What makes you regret Xtractor Depot, if you don't mind me asking? I know they sell molecular sieve filters with only those 40 mesh screens which blows my mind.

I saw one of their jacketed 12" spools bust after one cooling cycle, during a recovery not so long ago...

Hooooray for safety procedures

I've had misshapen pieces from both of them in the past, but frankly appreciated XD's customer service and interactions much more. I like them actually, I just think that they could really take a necessary step or two for safety's sake and setting high standards at a still affordable cost, which I know they could do.

Last edited:

Sriley28

What makes you regret Xtractor Depot, if you don't mind me asking? I know they sell molecular sieve filters with only those 40 mesh screens which blows my mind.

I saw one of their jacketed 12" spools bust after one cooling cycle, during a recovery not so long ago...

I've had misshapen pieces from both of them in the past, but frankly appreciated XD's customer service and interactions much more. I like them actually, I just think that they could really take a necessary step or two for safety's sake and setting high standards at a still affordable cost, which I know they could do.

I like their parts I just haven't had great luck customer service wise with them. I've place 4 orders with them so far and have had issues every time. 3 times I've ordered parts and after my order has shipped I find out that something in the order was actually out of stock. My last order was on 8/11, paid for 2 day shipping and still haven't got my order nor a return call or email explaining why.

TTNT

Gentleman, thank you so much, I have a molecular drive sieve hooked up to a Cmep solvent pump,

I've been very successful with closing the main collection valve , injecting 18lb of nitrogen into the bi directional port on the column with top valve open on top of the colum, with hose going down to collection pot, pressurizing the column, pushes the tane out rather quickly, not to mention how nice and easy the cannabis slides out of the column , after cleared with nitrogen.

Just before recovery I burp off the nitrogen. , it's been working fantastic, 45-50 min runs
Empty column to empty column.! 🤘

aSilvrHaze

I'd like to hear more about the 12" spool busting... was it the full 12x16 jacketed spool? I've already bought a bunch of parts for a 12" system and the 12" jacketed collection pot is one of my last items needed...

Old Gold

It was a jacketed 12" spool with handles. It was a custom build, piece by piece. We spent days pressure testing everything before running, and we had swapped a misshaped end cap or two already. Everything held 150 psig except for one collection chamber (which had this 12" jacketed spool). This chamber would hold 80 psig for over 24 hours, but slowly leaked down to that point overnight when set to 120-150 psig. I assumed it to be a gasket/clamping issue, and considering multiple 24 hour tests holding 80 psig, I went with the test pressure being 1.5x that of operating pressure (which would be 53 psig).

I chilled the collection chamber to draw vapors from the dewax column at the start of the run. Then, after dewaxing and dumping solvent/oil into the collection chamber, I let the warm water flow and began recovery. As soon as it hit about 40 psig, a loud buckling sound cracked off, and solvent/oil were spewing out of the barbed fittings where warm water was flowing into the jacket. After about 30 seconds of a shitshow for ventilation, operators were able to hold back the remaining 25 psig with their thumbs until we dumped the solvent into a storage tank.

This is why I always recommend a spare, empty DOT approved storage tank to be under vacuum. We had a safe place to put the rest of it until we could recover it properly.

Xtractor Depot fully refunded the system and replaced it with a brand new system that was fully assembled and pressure tested to 150 psi. The new system also had a 12" jacketed spool and has had no issues to my knowledge.