What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cbcool's native soil grow 2017

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I guess I was wrong about backing off the water to 10gals every three days.

I suppose 20 gals every three days isn't to much water, I'll stick with that number for now.

Its always so tricky trying to figure out how to water this time of year when everything get so hot and dry.

Cranking it! Looks spectacular! Is that one plant a purple variety?

You should try and find ETO data being generated locally so you can index your irrigation against water quantities. As they get bigger, they need more water. It goes up exponentially... Keeping digging those test holes!

Try one plant with more water and watch to see any difference....

EasyGoing

Yup, from Spectrum. Then your Ca is on point, good job.

As for water. I like to water at an 8% volume. So if your smart pot is a 200 gallon pot, then it should receive 16 gallons of water. Depending on the temps, humidity ext ext that will last around 3-7 days. In my area, in the heat of summer, that will last 3 days max. Good luck.

cbcool

Cranking it! Looks spectacular! Is that one plant a purple variety?

You should try and find ETO data being generated locally so you can index your irrigation against water quantities. As they get bigger, they need more water. It goes up exponentially... Keeping digging those test holes!

Try one plant with more water and watch to see any difference....

Yes it is, I actually have four purple varieties, Flo, F13, Grape Krush, Grape Ox.

Just to confirm, ETO is evapotranspiration, just haven't seen the acronym?

Thanks SlowN.

Yup, from Spectrum. Then your Ca is on point, good job.

As for water. I like to water at an 8% volume. So if your smart pot is a 200 gallon pot, then it should receive 16 gallons of water. Depending on the temps, humidity ext ext that will last around 3-7 days. In my area, in the heat of summer, that will last 3 days max. Good luck.

I've been watering at 10% soil volume, 20-30gals, but I live in an arid desert.

I guess our watering schedules aren't much different, thanks for the input.

cbcool

Sounds about on par with wats going on in my back yard. Each plants has 2 and a half yards of soiless and half yard of compost on top. Been near 100 degrees and they have been getting around 100 gallons of water every 13-15 days. Compost post teas help with the retention more than one would expect. And for added heat stress could also add lots of yucca and silica

Yep sounds pretty close to the same here, but I haven't done any teas, in fact they've pretty much only been fed with what's in the soil.

I looked into some yucca but my plants lived outside from the day they sprouted, they seem to handle the heat quite well.

LivinLegally

Yep sounds pretty close to the same here, but I haven't done any teas, in fact they've pretty much only been fed with what's in the soil.

I looked into some yucca but my plants lived outside from the day they sprouted, they seem to handle the heat quite well.

Yeah they can take some heat but I have a problem with spending on my garden so I try to give them anything I see as advantageous. Yucca in sprays and every food for me. As well as lots of kelp. And I bought some silica I've been using more than ever before. Haven't seen a drooping plant for a few years

moritzst

hey there

when you grow in holes be sure not to overwater as it looks quite the same like too less water...
when i see your picture the colour of the stem d say too much water,....

well just take care and happy growing

greeez

cbcool

hey there

when you grow in holes be sure not to overwater as it looks quite the same like too less water...
when i see your picture the colour of the stem d say too much water,....

well just take care and happy growing

greeez

Were you referring to the pictures of the drooping plants or other ones?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hello cb

hope your plants are well

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73447&pictureid=1761912

i thought this plant could maybe be too wet at the bottom by its look

greeez

Mori,

What particular look makes you think that it is over watered?

Pretty sure those bent stems means that the plant is asking for water. However, we can't see if that symptom is for all of the plant.

When the leaves are bent over and the stems are still in the air is what I always used as an indicator for too much water.

CBCool you have some photos of an over watered plant you could use to demonstrate the difference?

cbcool

hello cb

hope your plants are well

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73447&pictureid=1761912

i thought this plant could maybe be too wet at the bottom by its look

greeez

That pick was after I backed off the watering to 10gals, she was definitely thirsty.

Mori,

What particular look makes you think that it is over watered?

Pretty sure those bent stems means that the plant is asking for water. However, we can't see if that symptom is for all of the plant.

When the leaves are bent over and the stems are still in the air is what I always used as an indicator for too much water.

CBCool you have some photos of an over watered plant you could use to demonstrate the difference?

Sorry I can't find any pictures from last year that were definitely over watered, I'm trying to only give them as much as they need this year.

cbcool

Time for an update, it's been a crazy couple of weeks, got some good bad and horrible news.

My precious kitty that was only 11 months old and gave birth to five adorable kittens on summer solstice, passed away last night from eclampsia (milk fever). I tried giving her CPR but it was too late. It had my dog so depressed he slept all night in the rain next to her grave and he hates rain.

Sorry for that rant, our pets are family members to me, my wife, and kids, it's been a sad 24 hrs.

Bad news, I have a few plants exhibiting these symptoms, not sure what it is but I feel it's some type of deficiency.

picture.php

cbcool

On too better news, I just got back my most recent soil analysis last week, so I'm getting good data on feeding habits.

picture.php

K was a bit low, B definitely got low, P came up to target range, and N became virtually none existent. So I topped dressed 10 lbs of gypsum, 0.5 lbs sulfur, 23 grams of borax, 0.85 lbs KSO4 and 10 lbs of stutzman chicken compost.

I think the low N slowed the plants a bit but they'll back on track shortly.

cbcool

I got most of my secondary caging up, I have a few more plants left to cage, but they're looking good to me.

Rugburn and LPB
picture.php

LPB
picture.php

F13
picture.php

501st OG
picture.php

PDX Dopesmoker

Time for an update, it's been a crazy couple of weeks, got some good bad and horrible news.

My precious kitty that was only 11 months old and gave birth to five adorable kittens on summer solstice, passed away last night from eclampsia (milk fever). I tried giving her CPR but it was too late. It had my dog so depressed he slept all night in the rain next to her grave and he hates rain.

Sorry for that rant, our pets are family members to me, my wife, and kids, it's been a sad 24 hrs.

Bad news, I have a few plants exhibiting these symptoms, not sure what it is but I feel it's some type of deficiency.

View Image

I have a plant that looks kinda like that, but way smaller. I'm pretty sure it started as a result of the plant being potbound, so I transplanted mine about 4 days ago. I did some heavy pruning one day and a couple days later it started to show that kind of look. Potassium deficiency is my best guess.

7JV2rHV.jpg

cbcool

PDX,that's quite similar in appearance, my initial thought was calcium lockout due to insufficient boron. my boron should have 3-4ppm and it was less then 1ppm.

Calcium is the trailer and boron is the truck, calcium can't get delivered if the truck has no gas.

Its just my theory but makes the most sense based on the numbers.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Im assuming it is ph related. Or if it is happening in the plants that dried out that could be the culprit.

cbcool

They look great. Good job with the native! Sorry about your cat.

Curious to see how flower goes with that fe:mn ratio

Thanks PP!

Me too, I've been pushing Fe a bit to get it closer to 1.25:1 Mn to Fe ratio, but trying to keep the Mn higher through the whole cycle.

Im assuming it is ph related. Or if it is happening in the plants that dried out that could be the culprit.

It could be pH, definitely strain dependent, the ones showing those signs are all Bruce banners.

Latest posts

Latest posts