What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

chillies

Betterhaff

Veteran
Not sure where you’re at and if you are talking about starting seeds. It’s kind of late to start seeds for peppers to get much of a yield, you may be better off looking for some plants.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Providing yoy have an extended Autumn, you can reap chiles into October.
One thing, being in a chile producing state....if you want milder (heat), water plants then pick them. Hotter chiles....let soil dry out. Of course you are not going to get heat from a Big Jim Pepper like you would X-Barker.

South facing area, they'll do fine.

Grizz

Veteran
cant wait for September when the Hatch NM green chilies come to town, they roast them at Albertsons stores around Vegas, love me some green chili

RedACD

Having a tough time with chillies this year. I used some cheap potting soil with way too much wood chips and the plants hate it. Stunted and no fruit forming yet even with an early April planting. :dunno:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Having a tough time with chillies this year. I used some cheap potting soil with way too much wood chips and the plants hate it. Stunted and no fruit forming yet even with an early April planting. :dunno:

Wood chips use N while decomposing in soil, and depending on the tree species they come from they can play with the soil ph as well.
Add some N to the soil, then maybe also a little of P and K to stimulate flowering. It would be better to use ph'd water to make sure the ph is kept in check. Next time pick a better soil, as soil quality is very important in chillie growing.