What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bulk Density Question

Drewsif

Must be the different texture/shapes don't mesh together. Or bad science. Personally, I hate numbers, they just make you think too hard.

Yeah just do away with the coco, that shits played out and makes your buds taste like breakfast cereal

kaosisallwesee

Must be the different texture/shapes don't mesh together. Or bad science. Personally, I hate numbers, they just make you think too hard.

Yeah just do away with the coco, that shits played out and makes your buds taste like breakfast cereal

I've never noticed that when using coir....

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
On the second page of this study they list the bulk density of coco coir(0.07) and sphagnum peat(0.08) but when combined 1/1 the density is 0.06.

https://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/40/7/2135.full.pdf

Why does it go to 0.06 instead of 0.075?
Imagine you've got a bucket full of small cubes/dices and one with pyramids. Cubes match with cubes and pyramids with pyramids, hence the respective bulk density will be high (there's not much of empty space between the pieces). Mix both together and they, as stated by Drewsif, don't fit and there's more "holes" in between, the bulk density is lower. Dunno if that's really the case with coir and peat or just with certain batches/qualities, though.
Me, I like peat, it has a lot of humic substances and makes the substrate more forgiving regarding fertiliser mistakes. But it's often not very environment friendly and that's why I started to replace it, at least partially, by coir and add some compost instead. Coir is more forgiving regarding watering mistakes and re-moistens readily even if dried out. The mix of both brings the advantages of both together while reducing their disadvantages.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran

God forbid one had to do a bit of hard thinking in life. Best to avoid negativity like that.

Latest posts

Latest posts