What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow - 140W Speaker Box

Shazbot

Hi guys,

I decided to start growing my own weed after visiting Seattle this summer and experiencing some top-notch bud (no way I could go back to the crap we get around here.)

I spent the last month or so building out this box and I'm pretty happy with it. Due to my current living situation I had to make this thing as stealthy as possible. Originally I wanted to do a PC grow, but I couldn't find a case I liked for a reasonable price so I went with a speaker I found.

I opted to go with LEDs that I bought at a local discount store. I've got 10 "75 watt" (actually 14 watt) LEDs that I dismantled and crammed into it.

To help dissipate all the heat these things were generating, I went with a liquid cooling system to help draw the heat out of the main-box and cooled through a radiator stored in the DVD player that sits on top of the speaker.

Additionally, this is where I store the little power supplies I pulled from all the LED bulbs.

As for air scrubbing, I made my own little filter. Ultimately I'm going to have it go on the inside of the box, but for now I have it sticking out a little.

I had a lot of fun building this box, and I'm still tweaking it as time goes on, but it's pretty much ready to go.

As for the strain I'm growing its called "Quick One" its an autoflowering that I got as a freebie. Thought I would start off with it as a test for my box before I plant the Amneisa seeds I bought. I'm currently germinating my seed and it should be ready to plant within the next day or so!

Nup

Awesome build! Very fancy with the water cooling! What's did you use? A bunch of cheap cpu coolers in a run?
Keep us posted on the grow. I'm curious to see how it'll be :)

Shazbot

Awesome build! Very fancy with the water cooling! What's did you use? A bunch of cheap cpu coolers in a run?
Keep us posted on the grow. I'm curious to see how it'll be :)

Hey Nup, yup, super cheap water blocks. Personally, I don't think they could handle a modern CPU, these were being sold for a DIY AC kit where you would use a peltier cooler on em. They work great for this though!

Today I put my little seed in dirt after germinating it in a wet paper towel for a few days. Pretty excited, can't wait to see my first lil sprout!

Once the sprout does pop-up, I'll move the cup way closer to the LEDs. Annnnd I'll clean up my wiring at some point, should be fine for now.

amanda88

This is how I started back in the day

eventually I got a pair of serious bigass diy speakers 3ft tall for my second grow

by my 4th I moved into a photographers dark room/tent 4x5ft

now its all one entire 15x12 bedroom ...lol

use ur dvd covers to raise them to ur lite ? I did

cheers/

Shazbot

This is how I started back in the day

use ur dvd covers to raise them to ur lite ? I did

cheers/

Haha, I use to have a bunch of DVDs but ever since Netflix and all those other streaming services came out I've gotten rid of a majority of them! I'm using a 1 gal pot upside down to push it up a little closer.

Unfortunately my first seedling died. I uhh, don't think I watered it enough plus the soil was a wee bit alkaline. When I went to go water it with a slightly acidic water, I saw the seed shell float up, and it still had 'stuff' in it. I found the tap root it use to be attached to, and it only grew like 2 or 3mm before it died.

So, now I'm starting over with the second freebie seed I got which is a "Northern light x Big bud auto". Additionally, I went out and got some much better soil from a local hydro store and a handful of other items. Just placed her in a paper towel today, hopefully she'll be ready soon!

Nup

Hey Nup, yup, super cheap water blocks. Personally, I don't think they could handle a modern CPU, these were being sold for a DIY AC kit where you would use a peltier cooler on em. They work great for this though!

Today I put my little seed in dirt after germinating it in a wet paper towel for a few days. Pretty excited, can't wait to see my first lil sprout!

Once the sprout does pop-up, I'll move the cup way closer to the LEDs. Annnnd I'll clean up my wiring at some point, should be fine for now.

Ahhh clever. I have often thought of this design idea. Very fancy fan too, vadar? ;P

Sorry to hear about your latest post. Shame they died.

I was thinking that with enough tubing you could make the light able to higher and lower? But then again. Stacking up the pot is, less fancy and more effective!

Shazbot

Ahhh clever. I have often thought of this design idea. Very fancy fan too, vadar? ;P

Sorry to hear about your latest post. Shame they died.

I was thinking that with enough tubing you could make the light able to higher and lower? But then again. Stacking up the pot is, less fancy and more effective!

The fan is called "Gentle Typhoon" I use them in my desktop. They have more of a "swhoosh" sound rather than the "whirrr" of your typical fan. They also push a ton of air! and yeah, kept it simple with the pot. The tubing is a real pain in the ass since I got the clear stuff, had to paint a few of the lines to light proof them as they were letting a lot of light in.

Second plant is coming along slowly... finally got my first glimpse of green today! I almost lost this one as well, it was super thirsty a few days ago, which I think may have stunted its growth significantly, but it looks like its finally rebounding now.

Annnnd here's a close up:

Shazbot

Update on current plant:

Well, a day or so after my last post, she finally sprouted and I was pretty stoked. Thought the worse was over, I was wrong. While transporting my little baby across state, she got flipped over and one of her leaves broke off. I was extremely worried she wouldn't pull through. I checked on her non-stop to make sure she was holding up, and slowly a lil bit of green started to poke up from her. It's been about 7 days since the accident and it looks like she's finally rebounding now as the growth over the last two days has really picked up. Here's what she looks like now:

I'm going to try to take a pic a day for the next week or so to try and track her growth. Hopefully no more dumb accidents happen :/

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hopefully no more dumb accidents happen :/
Hey, you learn as you grow. We all do!

Considering autoflowers for that small of a space, great choice. Use at least 2 gallon container.

Great job DIY!!! Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts