What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What was your favorite pot from the day?

St. Phatty

2 types come to mind right away. Had a connection in about 86 that would get NL5 that was just insane. He knew the growers...they knew what they were doing for back then.
Romulan was another good hard hitter. That came much later for me tho....round the 2000 era.
Peace, negative

Romulan is or was Fantastic.
Of all the strains you could buy commercially, Romulan was the one that got the most "Buzz".

I thought my G13 combination was better, but I think the SKUNK smell of Romulan also helped make it popular.

My favorite strain of Romulan tasted like Playdough, though, not Skunk.
It was one of those rare strains that needed no cure-time.

negative37dBA

Veteran
You know Romulan Jake has a cross strain that I think just came out this month. The pictures look mouthwatering. It is called Communion. Mix of Grapestomper OG x Durban Poison x Romulan.
I would grow this to see what it is like.
COMMUNION S1-min.jpg

Peace all, negative.

grayeyes

So what was the high off the Acapulco Gold like? Anything like being on shrooms? I have some Bodhi AG seeds as well two 1973 Guerrero crosses. Guerrero is the state Acapulco is in. No pot was grown in Acapulco as it is on the beach, all up in the mountains of Guerrero.

$250 in 72 is like a $1000 today. Plus you got seeds, stems and shake. So like $300 an ounce or more. Might have been Colombian Gold too eh? Got a pack of CG 72 seeds waiting to pop. CG from 1979 was nothing special and yes it was legit.

Highest I ever got was most likely Michoacan brown 1975. For 20 minutes I was on another planet with aliens that used to be stoners. They were rolling joints of it and throwing the seeds and stems on the ground, never thought to ask for seeds. Never saw them or that weed again.
And we both have been hunting and crying about it since.

St. Phatty

I don't think 2022 Herb is any better than Herb from the 80's & early 90's.

The difference is, VARIETY.

I have been smoking 4 different varieties, though I just ran out of the Gelato a friend gave me so, down to -
* Apricot Kush ... named after the Apricot tree it was grown next to.
* Blueberry Headband cross
* Cookie cross.

30 years ago, I usually only had one strain, when I bought from a Connect in the SF Bay Area.

The quality was always top notch but the search for variety could be expensive.

enter sandman

Yes indeed! The difference is variety...and even then it becomes a bit humdrum because the variety is mostly in the strain name only. To me at least. Many can feel a big difference between the different strains & phenos they get. Lucky them.

Back in the 70s & 80s I didn't have a large selection like people do now - but damn was it fire back then. For me it was nothing but Sativa originating from either Jamaica or Mexico usually. I actually never tried Indica until the mid 90s or thereabouts and I only smoke Sativa to this very day.

Last edited:

enter sandman

C99. The original from the late 90's :yummy:

I was a member of Overgrow then when it came out (C99) & got some free cuts sent to me thru the mail. I kept a bonsai mom going for quite awhile but had to ditch it for legal reasons. Since then I've grown out different iterations of C99 from banks/breeders claiming it was the original...but it wasn't.

Maybe I was unlucky. Don't know. I may try it out again soon - and yeah the original was some fire.

St. Phatty

I remember as a teenager, drinking some cheap wine and smoking pot, some afternoon after school.

The parents were out, time for the Mice to play !

I remember staring at the faucet in my parents' bathroom. The water coming out was so cool !

and we were just smoking Mersh, press brick Mexican.

One of my parents forgot to flush the toilet and there was this large all-white Log in the bowl.

A White Turd in a White Bowl.

Too Much Information ? It was like a Hallucination from the Beatles White Album.

enter sandman

I remember as a teenager, drinking some cheap wine and smoking pot, some afternoon after school.

I remember staring at the faucet in my parents' bathroom. The water coming out was so cool !

One of my parents forgot to flush the toilet and there was this large all-white Log in the bowl.

Too Much Information ? It was like a Hallucination from the Beatles White Album.

Some of the best weed I ever had was what people call schwag or pressed Mexican Sativa. Much of it was merely not grown properly & harvested too early and...pressed. But I would always come across some that laid you out & gave you that good psychedelic vibe.

Even much of the pressed weed in the 80s was better than most of what you can get today...in my opinion.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Some of the best weed I ever had was what people call shwag or pressed Mexican Sativa. Much of it was merely not grown properly & harvested too early and...pressed. But I would always come across some that laid you out & gave you that good psychedelic vibe.

Even much of the pressed weed in the 80s was better than most of what you can get today...in my opinion.

Mersh is worth buying, just for the seeds.

Harpua

When I started in '82 we mostly had to deal with nickle and dime bags of brown Mexican. This was New York City when you could buy off the street. I was very young........but occasionally, the adults had access to Columbian Gold, Panama Red, Thai, Hawaiian......when "Sinsemilla" came around that was a game changer......and then....Skunk#1 hit. I also got something once, and only once.....it was Thai and it was green. It was unmistakable and unique. This was in 1987. Being from NYC I also had the pleasure of early Blueberry and Sour.

Harpua

The first time I ever got high was with my childhood/best friend in 1982. I got a pipe, it was typical commercial/Mexican brown, but not bad, more buds than shake. For some reason we chose the bathroom. I packed a bowl and hit it good. I knew exactly what I was doing and what I wanted. My friend hit it like a child having his first cigarette, he didn't even inhale......after my 4th or 5th hit, I put the pipe down, looked in the mirror, and said to my friend " whoa, I think I feel it....". I paced around the apartment, a little nervous, wobbly......we left the apartment and the rest of the day was magical. For me.......

A couple of months later I made sure my friend did it right. We were in the woods......

I was the guy that turned everyone else on. ;)

Harpua

When I grew commercial/brown seeded weed, it came out exactly as I thought it would.....a nice, spicey Mexican Sativa. This was 35 years ago though, I haven't found seeds in actual weed in over 30 years. But when i did grow them, my friends were astounded. "That's the same stuff??!".

Yup. ;)

Harpua

When I grew commercial/brown seeded weed, it came out exactly as I thought it would.....a nice, spicey Mexican Sativa. This was 35 years ago though, I haven't found seeds in actual weed in over 30 years. But when i did grow them, my friends were astounded. "That's the same stuff??!".

Yup.
I tried making Hash Oil once using Acetone.

That particular experiment was not worth smoking.

But at least I didn't blow up the apartment.
Another thing I don't think I'll try..... ;). But I'm very interested in making old-school hash with silkscreens. Especially when I grow those old landrace/heirloom classics.

Harpua

You know Romulan Jake has a cross strain that I think just came out this month. The pictures look mouthwatering. It is called Communion. Mix of Grapestomper OG x Durban Poison x Romulan.
I would grow this to see what it is like.
View attachment 18755319
Peace all, negative.
He seems to be one of the very few who talks about the potential downside of feminized seeds. Almost every time the question is asked "Can I pollinate a feminized/S1 with a male?", the answer is "Yes you can". Well, yes you can, but is it just as good, just the same as pollinating a non-feminized female? From a breeding perspective could using an S1 potentially lead to problems? I'm very hesitant to use feminized seeds because I think we just don't know. Same goes for Autos. Are they just going to lead to a certain % of ruderalis in almost everything?

enter sandman

Yup

Those nickel & dime bags that came in the miniature manila envelopes & when you opened them up you got that heavenly waft of spicy aroma. I would get anywhere from 5 - 8 joints out of those little nickel bags...if you kinda stretched it. I would go back home, smoke one & watch MTV when MTV was still good to watch.

They usually came with seeds but that was never even a problem or a big deal. Just get out an album jacket (vinyl album) or phonebook and dump the weed out on that to pick out those seeds...

Last edited:

Harpua

Those nickel & dime bags that came in the miniature manila envelopes & when you opened them up you got that heavenly waft of spicy aroma. I would get anywhere from 5 - 8 joints out of those little nickel bags...if you kinda stretched it. I would go back home, smoke one & watch MTV when MTV was still good to watch.

They usually came with seeds but that was never even a problem or a big deal. Just get out an album jacket (vinyl album) or phonebook and dump the weed out on that to pick out those seeds...
Dude......like, yes. 5 fat joints from a nickle, dimes even more.....lots of seeds and stems but it wasn't schwag, it was just mostly brownish, some buds, a little dark green too....Monopoly board and Bambu papers to work with it. Or, those metal pipes that were like 11 pieces.....and MTV. When it just started...