What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

BuzzBob56

Looks like it has just shed its skin. Hope you didn't kill it. The last snake we had here was a six foot Eastern Taipan about 3 inches in diameter. Beautiful. Deadly. All held their breath as it slid thru our garden and out into the bush again ....

I am a Snake Lover, so it was with great sadness that I { humanely as possible } did, indeed, put the poor thing out of its misery.

It appeared he'd been stuck on there for some time. I imagine the shedding was caused by its attempts to free itself. Trust me! Once stuck to that paper, it was doomed. That stuff will pull hair from my arms when it catches me. There was no way to extricate it from the paper without breaking every little bone in its body...

Hell, if I could've, I'd of kept it for a while { not long; wild creatures should be free to roam! }, and fed it crickets from the basement! LOL...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I am a Snake Lover, so it was with great sadness that I { humanely as possible } did, indeed, put the poor thing out of its misery.

It appeared he'd been stuck on there for some time. I imagine the shedding was caused by its attempts to free itself. Trust me! Once stuck to that paper, it was doomed. That stuff will pull hair from my arms when it catches me. There was no way to extricate it from the paper without breaking every little bone in its body...

Hell, if I could've, I'd of kept it for a while { not long; wild creatures should be free to roam! }, and fed it crickets from the basement! LOL...

had a nearly 5 foot long black snake wrapped up in a sticky board in my basement once. very depressing, as i like snakes. he did not make it either...

BuzzBob56

had a nearly 5 foot long black snake wrapped up in a sticky board in my basement once. very depressing, as i like snakes. he did not make it either...

That's a shame! Black Snakes are very beneficial, and harmless to us bipeds. They just love to eat up all your Mice and Moles! Every summer, I see several around my place. I admire them, and let 'em be. If one finds its way into the house, I will certainly simply relocate it to the outdoors. { My indoor mice are taken care of handily by our house-cat. }

T

Teddybrae

I know the sticky stuff you mean. We gave up using it when it caught house Geckoes instead of roaches. I tried to free them by dissolving the sticky. Patience, patience ... success!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
My house sits in a 1/2 acre clearing in the middle of thick woods, up here in the hills..

There are critters of all kinds always coming into my yard...

Here's a small black snake (about 36 inches) getting ready to go under my front porch...
Mice don't stand a chance around here between the black snakes and my cat...

Attachments

• snake.jpg
    snake.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 9
M

moose eater

Worst thing my boxes contract near my pots, other than standard pests when vulnerable, is a series of various spiders. And I'm torn re. reaction, as they stand to eat some of the more problematic pests, but... THEY'RE SPIDERS!!

We only get 1 or 2 poisonous spiders where I am, and most who haven't researched it would say we get none. The brown recluse, and the hobo (forget the entire layman's name for the hobo).

Got bitten once without knowing it until the next day, when a larger deep purple spot (like a black and blue bruise) with a crater in the middle, began growing on my leg.

My astute wife had me place the leg above my heart, while laying on the couch, and served it with VERY hot water packs wrapped in a towel to keep them in place. Heat can kill all sorts of infection, bacteria, etc. Why the body runs a fever when sick.

No multi-thousand dollar emergency room visit, and my leg recovered with nary a trace of the would-be lunar crater.

Snakes in the room? I'd move, or establish an electric floor plate of some sort. Perhaps an illogical reaction, but thinking back on the fables re. the Garden of Eden, Or Kipling's Jungle Book, and the snake saying, "Trussssssst meeee. Trust meeeeee"...... well.... no.

M

moose eater

There are very few instances of serious sleep dyssomnia that can't be at least temporarily mitigated by a combination of 9% Imperial blonde ale (fermented with honey), a jigger of decent quality reposado tequila, and a joint of Super Lemon Haze. The question is what to do, 2-1/2 hours later, when waking up again, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, and no one awake enough to appreciate your tangential babbling in the middle of the night?

short-wave radio??

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
There are very few instances of serious sleep dyssomnia that can't be at least temporarily mitigated by a combination of 9% Imperial blonde ale (fermented with honey), a jigger of decent quality reposado tequila, and a joint of Super Lemon Haze. The question is what to do, 2-1/2 hours later, when waking up again, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, and no one awake enough to appreciate your tangential babbling in the middle of the night?

short-wave radio??

The answer is right at your fingertips moose!

M

moose eater

Thanks guys. Several skirmishes later, I still haven't found a cheap and functional short-wave radio and 30' telescoping antenna mast like the one I just sold.. So I guess you're stuck with me...

On the bright side, eating breakfast at noon provides for a lot of peace and quiet.

If I could only convince the dogs to let themselves out, AND stay on the property without harassing the moose, I'd be set.

Another set of goals to work toward...

Green Squall

Man saves stray dog affected by tear gas during the Chilean protests. I understand things over there are getting ugly, people are losing their eyes, but I saw this photo as a ray of hope.

picture.php

M

moose eater

The battery in my garage door opener lasted 20 years......

I got an additional set of points in my energy efficiency rating for putting in el cheapo set-back thermostats in the house; one on each of 3 floors.

We're supposed to change the AAA batteries in them each year, and I usually do that in October, when I do similar to the back-up batteries in my hard-wired combination Smoke/CO detectors, but I have no first-hand experience in what happens if the battery in the thermostats goes dead before change-out.

I've been -told-.that it's possible the circuit might get locked shut (closed) meaning that if someone weren't home at the time, we'd potentially come back to a super-heated VERY warm home. (*And a fair bit less fuel oil in the tank...).

I guess that'd be better than the other way around; coming home at -30 or -50, and finding the heat WOULDN'T come on, due to the circuit being locked open.

Meanwhile, I've got an elkhound that's been experiencing fairly consistent/persistent diarrhea for over 3 days, for which we've started upping the mixing of psyllium with her chow, increasing it this next feeding to 1-1/2 TBSP for a 45 lb. dog.

She was a rescue as of ~6-1/4 years ago, and by her previous 2 owners and their neglect, she eats ANYTHING and everything, so who knows what's causing the issue. Hopefully nothing serious.

Meanwhile, I may need to buy stocks in a carpet shampoo company.

Next stop is cooking her rice, chicken and potato with pumpkin to make her digestive tract straighten up and fly right.

Now I'm a chef for an elkhound... I was hoping to find another dozen things to take up my time... Should probably wrap her silverware in a cloth napkin, lest I feel I've neglected her.:biggrin:

E

ESTERCHASER

my brother sits on my couch.....(right next to me) scratches his nuts....sniffs his fingers ...then proceeds to ask whats for dinner...........i need a joint!

E

ESTERCHASER

It only took me 40 years to stop worrying about other peoples actions/thoughts! hashtag time ive wasted!