What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica - The Search for Trip Weed

jayjayfrank

Veteran
a zamaldelica x johnny blaze cross i grew out had a high number of runts also, i figured it was the blueberry genes but 4 of 20 is kinda high, recessive zamal trait could be it...

personally i thought it could be something on the malawi side

i suspect really beating up on the plants might bring out the best in the flowers with these kind of genetics

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Come to think of it, I have heard reports of Hazes that occasionally have very diminutive expressions.

VanVulpen

Veteran
Has anyone noticed any dwarfism in any Zamal crosses?
I put 9 clones from 9 different Zamal/ThaiX Nevill's or TH Haze in flower at 4" tall and now I have 4 pheno's fully flowering and only 1 1/2' tall two males one shorty and one tall and three real stretcher females that are 5' tall and bent and pinched to keep them there, quite a variation in plant types. I'm sure the Zamal and the Haze had some input for the hight but where did the shorties come from?
View Image
View Image

I would guess the Zamal/Thai mother is the one to "blame" here, about half of the offspring will be relatively short in size from my experience limited to about 30 individuals i have to admit... I've just started another run with these but i had to downsize my growroom to about 80 cm in height, so i'm looking forward for shorties here, hopefully as resinous as yours are, Randy :)

The Hatter

Veteran
Come to think of it, I have heard reports of Hazes that occasionally have very diminutive expressions.
I've only ever seen hybrid hazes in person like SSH and SLH but my SLH plant was pretty much a runt similiar to what RandyCalifornia is describing. It was about 2 1/2' tall with no training and excluding the pot while the destroyer next to it was over 7ft and easily 10X the volume of that little SLH. To this day it remains the smallest mature plant I have grown including an auto flower. I always blamed whatever indica genes where in the plant but it had the craziest long thin sativa leaves and after doing a lot of reading I've heard of some pure hazes that occasionally throw out a dimunative runt style plants which may have been the reason behind these weird little throw backs.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
are we all indoors? maybe its 'indoor stress' because they have always been grown outside for so many generations...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
are we all indoors? maybe its 'indoor stress' because they have always been grown outside for so many generations...

Whatever it was, it has disappeared. One week into flowering, and everything is looking healthy, vigorous, and happy. Now if I only had a camera and skill to show it. Perhaps I'll treat myself to a new camera this holiday season, if I find a great deal. For now, I'll have to do my best with what I have, and practice.
:biggrin:

Here is a shot of the whole room, with ZD2 on the left, and ZD1 on the right. I've decided to put in my male Purple Haze x Thai used in the SAGE cross, center front, due to all indications being excellent, with only the smoke tests left. I don't want to discover a Zamaldelica plant I love, then lose it in some manner, so I'm making seeds right away. My cutting of ZD1 looks like it is on the verge of flowering. I hope I can get it to grow in a vegetative way again. I fear the auto flowering trait. Here's the room:
picture.php

Here is a close up of the ZD1 top. Notice how a branch is longer than the main top. It was like that before I started bending over the main stem. Super branchy:
picture.php

Here is the ZD2 looking less auto flowering with less of a head start on budding, no sign of hermaphroditism, and nice Christmas tree like structure, before I bent it over. It looks more stemy like Thai, but with compact growth like Malawi, I think. I would not mind if this has a preferred high, because it seems easier to grow/manage. However, I would choose a hermaphrodite over others if the high is right:
picture.php

Everything is coming up roses today with a healthy Zamaldelica cabinet, and the Purple Haze Meao Thai x SAGE trimming I did last night. That last crop is looking and smelling soooo good.

Hope everyone else is doing well also,

ThaiBliss

jayjayfrank

Veteran
yes, make seeds, i lost my zamaldelica carrot mother after a year, started to autoflower, even after uppotting and transplanting she didnt revert back to veg. turned into a weird bush of pistils. wish i could have put it outside...

zamadelica fems are on the christmas list now...

idiit

Veteran
yes, make seeds, i lost my zamaldelica carrot mother after a year, started to autoflower, even after uppotting and transplanting she didnt revert back to veg. turned into a weird bush of pistils. wish i could have put it outside...

me2. i made s1's but only have a few left. i'm presently looking for a good male exhibiting the zamal attributes. keeping the clones in larger pots before mother is flowered helped quite a bit. constricted roots really made her want to finish. she does not like to reveg. it is hard to find a good non hermie zamal male.

i keep several clones of the present s1 and am using her in several hybrids. at least one well known landrace lover/breeder is working several authentic zamal lines. pure zamal is difficult to source even in la reunion and what what little i've gleaned there are a few authentic zamal phenotypes.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I culled my ZD1 today. I thought it was the most Zamal looking one. It was the faster flowering, the sweeter smelling, the most auto flowering from root restriction, but also the most hermaphroditic. I'm generally tolerant of hermaphrodites if they appear near the end of flowering in a limited amount. I'm sure I stressed these plants somehow since they were not the picture of health for a while, but the hermaphroditic reaction was too extreme for me.

No worries though. ZD2 is growing quickly and has started budding. I went and trimmed some of the lower branches like Dubi recommends for indoor attempts. This gave me a chance to look it over carefully, and I did not see any signs of male flowers. This thing is a real sativa beauty. More extreme sativa looking than anything I have grown in a long time. The clone I took rooted more quickly than ZD1.

I'll try to get pictures this weekend, if the camera works. My wife dropped it a few weeks ago and it works only intermittently. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced digital camera that is good at close ups/macros but not exclusively for this use?

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

My camera worked today, barely. Here are some pictures of my cabinet with plenty of light and room for ZD2 to develop nice buds.

Cabinet:
picture.php

ZD2 Bud:
picture.php

Close Up:
picture.php

I thinks she is looking real happy, especially compared to a few weeks ago. She has room to spread her wings.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

If I had to pick one distinguishing trait of Zamaldelica, so far, I’d say extreme root vigor. I think this is a very good sign. I believe I once read that the precursor chemicals of THC are produced in the roots of the plant. I don't know if that is true.

I have heard all kinds of wild advice for techniques of growing cannabis that makes it especially potent, and I believe I have de-bunked most of them. The one that has stood the test of time is to allow plenty of room for healthy root growth. This is good advice for growing big plants, but also to bring out its potency potential. This also ties in to my belief that too rich of a soil will reduce its potential. I believe that keeping the nutrient levels on the light side also encourages root growth in comparsion to above soil vegetative growth.

These Zamaldelicas have crazy vigorous root growth. I have not done a very good job keeping this plant healthy, and yet the roots are wildly profuse. I like Dubi’s suggestion for growing tropical sativas indoors. That is to restrict the roots until the stretch is mostly done, then re-pot into a larger pot. I would like to try this with this plant. However, at this point, I’m afraid I would have to cut this pot off to replant, to prevent damage. I think I’ll set this one into a much larger pot and fill the bottom 4 – 6 inches with medium. This should allow the roots to occupy an expanded area without mechanical damage during transplantation.

Here is a drainage hole of the original 2 gallon pot:
picture.php

I guess I'm going to have to do a better job keeping my cabinet clean if I'm going to embarrass myself with close up pictures. I need to soak my old pots to remove the mineral build up. But, you can see the roots pouring out of the drainage hole, and only being trimmed by the lack of water and exposure to light. The roots have sneakily found a dark damp place between the bottom of the pots.

I have started bending over the main top while the plant is still propped up on an upside down pot to keep the plant close to the lights. This will give me 10 inches of room to spare when it continues to stretch. In other words, I’ll be able to lower the plant later. I may try to let it go one more week in the smaller pot before I give it the additional root room and lower the pot. It still looks very early in flower and still in stretch mode.

ThaiBliss

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
ZD2 is looking very spindly and thai-african, should be very similar to the electric scary pheno I had. They are going to be a very large plants! Plan on bending a lot of branches. On stretchier plants, it may help you to twist the stems / supercrop to keep them in check.

You're absolutely right on the root space bit, the more pencil-leaved the sativa, the more root room it needs. They look like they're in 3 gallon pots now? You may want to move em to 5 gallon pots. :biggrin:

The Hatter

Veteran
You're absolutely right on the root space bit, the more pencil-leaved the sativa, the more root room it needs. They look like they're in 3 gallon pots now? You may want to move em to 5 gallon pots. :biggrin:

That's an interesting observation. I've noticed that its usually my very tropical and narrow leaved sativas that seem to get root bound even in even 5 gallon pots, but I never knew that this was something of a rule. Good to know, thanks.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Greetings ThaiBliss,

I'm sorry to hear you had to cull one zamaldelica, it's a straight zamal hybrid and therefore some degree of hermaphroditism (5-10 % of the population) can not be avoided indoors, outdoors is different and the strain is quite firm. I'm working to improve all this with the selected Zamaldelica parental plants i'm breeding with now.

Z2 looks very thai dominant and a bit african, like Terpene confirmed, it's a long flowering pheno but should provide the special high you are looking for. Wish you the best for the rest of flowering!

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Dubi,

Thanks for confirming Terpene's assessment. I'm not disappointed at all with the loss of ZD1, and they way this grow is going. I'm absolutely thrilled, and very grateful to have the opportunity you have provided us with the release of the early development of this strain. You know I am a Thai freak, and to have such a beautiful plant as ZD2 in my first attempt is a blessing. ACE is by far the best seed company I have ever ordered from.

Sincerely,

ThaiBliss

orfeas

Veteran
We all have seen what love and dedication can bring about and by the look of it those Ace seeds couldn't have had a more warm-hearted treat!!!
Thumbs-up to you ThaiBliss!
Thanks for sharing!