What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

mushrooms popping up in soil??

so the other night i noticed a little mushroom pop up outta the soil in one of my plants.. and then i noticed another one in another plant. i woulda thought maybe something with the specific soil but these two plants are using completely different soil batches as one plant is a lot older and in a different room.

anyone know why this happened? and is it a bad thing??

kinda freaked me out like seeing worms for the first time but im down with worms. dont know about these things. kinda weird.

only thing i could come up with is all the poop in the soil? but i wonder why now, is it a moisture thing?

hope its not a dumb question

S

Scrappy-doo

My boy had that happen not too long ago to all his mother plants. I'm not exactly sure what caused it but I will say that it was very hot and humid in his room. He just left them for a little while, but eventually he had to change the mothers out because they were getting very sick looking.

Liza

I've read that mushrooms in your grow room are good. They put out CO2 if I'm not mistaken. As long as your plants don't look sick and your environment is ok, you're fine I think.

B

BlueJayWay

it's not a bad thing unless they're growing because of extremely moist medium & high humidity - in which case you would see a negative response from the plant, which sounds like what occured with Scrappydoos friend. If your plants are healthy 'n happy, then I would welcome the shrooms for sure, and have some fun trying to identify them as well ;)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so the other night i noticed a little mushroom pop up outta the soil in one of my plants.. and then i noticed another one in another plant. i woulda thought maybe something with the specific soil but these two plants are using completely different soil batches as one plant is a lot older and in a different room.

anyone know why this happened? and is it a bad thing??

kinda freaked me out like seeing worms for the first time but im down with worms. dont know about these things. kinda weird.

only thing i could come up with is all the poop in the soil? but i wonder why now, is it a moisture thing?

hope its not a dumb question

Consider it good, unless an obvious related negative shows itself. There is usually nutrient cycling occurring between plants & mushrooms. [IMO]

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
There's an awesome book by Paul Stamets (leading mycologist in myco/psilocybe research) called Mycelium Running in which not only talks about the benefits of mycelium in nature but the positive relationship between plants and mycelium. Ive seen and heard of a fair amount of people seeing mushrooms in their pots, having problems and then blaming it on the fungi. Well, different types of fungi including mycelium are very beneficial to your plants and soil, some of which readily produce fruiting bodies (mushrooms) under the right conditions. These "right conditions" can sometimes be negative conditions for cannabis, and its actually your environment causing the problem as opposed to the fungus, like others in this thread have already mentioned. Many of us, as we speak, have different forms of fungus/mycelium/hyphae in our organic medium which are contributing to our plants health. Hence, all the different products for sale containing beneficial fungi.

I would not worry about any mushrooms in my soil unless there was a problem with my plants, but i would also be considering other factors.

Until then, I too would have fun trying to ID them! As somebody else had mentioned...

And btw, I highly recommend Mycelium Running as well as any other bit of Paul Stamets research pertaining to mushrooms/fungi to all of you myco heads out there, as well as anybody whom may be interested. Oh, not to mention the psilocybes ;)

heck yeah, good thing i didnt pull them out, i figured i'd ask first to make sure if theyre beneficial or not.

plants are perfectly healthy so i obviously they arent effecting them.. now that i think of it, my big 50 gal trash can got a small hole in the bottom so ive been filling up 5 gal buckets with ro water and my stoner ass will forget and it will overflow and flood the room which is ok cuz i have concrete floors and the lights dry it quick but it does cause mad humidity which prolly led to the birth of these things.

itll be cool to see how big they can get haha.

thanks everyone.

h.h.

Veteran
Zen. The beauty of organics.
1Z5_smurfs_2.jpg

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Well I would have to say your keeping your soil too wet if the mushrooms are popping out imvho nothing to worry about either I would get promix 4 or 5 next time headband 707

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Headband; That is oldschool conventional that you are clinging to. There is a brave new 'living' world out there. ;>

cirric

Heres a mushroom right here. Had this happen once before!!!

Heres a mushroom right here. Had this happen once before!!!

picture.php

I noticed this MUSHROOM 2 weeks after I did my second harvest of Big Wreck N Lemon KUSH. Mushroom happened indoors/outdoors!!!
It means Sterile Clean Sacred Grounds!!!

Ive grown mushrooms indoors. Its so simple all they eat is sugar!!! I miss those Mason Jars!!!

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Headband; That is oldschool conventional that you are clinging to. There is a brave new 'living' world out there. ;>

Really Microbeman ? Do tell lol... Your all good with mushrooms in your soil with cannabis ? Don't get me wrong love this brave new world your talking about but wet is wet right? If you use mushroom manure you will get mushrooms in your soil.
I would love to get the "life" your talking about in my soil? I would assume your good at this..I'm not mistaking the mushroom for fungus either.
But do I want to keep things wet ? Personally I have not gotten to living soil yet but I did get lots of bugs /thrips.. But yes I agree with you there is a whole new world out there headband 707
:woohoo:

al-k-mist

Spores are in the air, or could have been tracked in on clothing, from the compost etcetera..
Growrooms normally have pretty good environment for mycological grows as well, at least to colonize substrate.
I had thought that would be so cool, to colonize something(non-psychoactive, of course) then mix it in to the medium, or topdress with ewc and mush mycellium, that would rock as a photo

I always inoculate my soil with lts of mycorrhizae when I plant. If I overwater my mother plants I sometimes get mushrooms. The part that pops out of the soil is the fruiting body (mushrooms version of a flower). You can break these off and it won't affect the fungus growing in the soil. It will prevent new spores from spreading around. Usually when I see mushrooms I'm happy, but it's a sign that tells me to back off the watering a little.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really Microbeman ? Do tell lol... Your all good with mushrooms in your soil with cannabis ? Don't get me wrong love this brave new world your talking about but wet is wet right? If you use mushroom manure you will get mushrooms in your soil.
I would love to get the "life" your talking about in my soil? I would assume your good at this..I'm not mistaking the mushroom for fungus either.
But do I want to keep things wet ? Personally I have not gotten to living soil yet but I did get lots of bugs /thrips.. But yes I agree with you there is a whole new world out there headband 707
:woohoo:

Sorry Headband; I dropped the ball on this thread.

I am okay with mushrooms but my comment was more towards the promix that you recommended. I like mixing my own 'promix' and let it get more alive as time progresses.

CaliMed; endomycorrhizal (at least the kind which are mycorrhizal with cannabis) do not form fruiting bodies of which I am aware. You do not need to break them off.

Last edited:

al-k-mist

MM, Ive seen some myco products that have endo and ecto in them, even the soil from the local organic place, down to earth. (the soil aint too good but thier ammendments are)
I read ..somewhere..that a handful of 'dirt' from old forests mixed into the soil can help 'innoculate', without storebought stuff. Is this truth? (coastal oregon douglas fir forsts, like 40-100+ yrs old). Dank you