What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Testing veg plants for cbd levels?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Im on a little cbd hunt, and was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I saw one thread about it on the farm but it was never finished. Basically im wondering if you could test cbd in veg to get an idea what flower cbd will be. This would make it a lot easier to search through seed plants for the pheno you want when looking for cbd... Anyone? Thanks!

GoatCheese

Veteran
I think i have read that you can test vegging plants for CBD, but you prolly need to test them at a proper lab, cause the levels could be so low that an Alpha-type home test kit wouldn't do much good.

The thread on Farm that you're prolly reffering to is called "Testing vegetative plants for thc/cbd ratio to see which seed is best phenotype"
..and what i gather from it is that you can see some % of CBD from vegging plants, but the % will rise during flowering, meaning that you can't see from a vegging plant how much CBD it will have at harvest time.
But you should still be able to pick out the plants that have the highest levels of CBD, so a veg-test could be a useful selection tool.

A side note..
Maybe you know this already, but according to Shantibaba, CBD-rich plants should be harvested few weeks earlier than THC-only plants for the highest level of CBD, cause the CBD % will start to drop abit after this. So a THC-only variety that you would harvest at week 10, a CBD-version of it you should harvest around week 8.

:)