What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any Jeep lovers on here?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
We've been putting an LS in my neighbor's TJ. Lucky we have plenty of time for it!
picture.php

cool...

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh boy I've been a Jeep guy for half of a century! From early postal jeeps to Grand Cherokees and everything in between, been a die hard Jeep enthusiast for a long long time.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've found what i hope will be my next jeep. a relative has a 1977 Cherokee Chief sitting in his barn. it has an automatic trans, but i can live with that, reluctantly. but, it does have the 225 Buick motor in it, which i believe was the best all-around motor for jeeps. all glass is good. a 46 year old jeep IS gonna have some rust, but it is all on very bottom of doors and quarter panels. mice have decimated the seats of course. someone has tried to remove steering column for some reason. getting it from there to here is gonna be the trick, but hey! for a free jeep, i'm gonna go for it if the motor is not locked up.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i had a postal (2wd) jeep for a while. got it stuck in a gravel parking lot once, not too proud, lol. hit a bump with the doors open & they would fall off. a laugh a minute...:cautious:

Tynehead Tom

Just took my lifted (4") 1989 Cherokee XJ in for some love.
I really should have done the work myself but between the garden and getting the yard cleaned up after a long winter that won;t let go.... I just had no time.
new front driveshaft assembly , all new greasable U-joints all around, tie rod ends, steering dampener, track bar bushings and got all my fluids from front to back drained, inspected and refilled. Complete exhaust was just done previously.
Next is wheel bearings and I'm starting a savings jar for a slip yoke eliminator kit for the NP242 select trac and a new custom rear driveshaft..... fuggen pricey!!! wow.
While I wait for those parts I have some electrical demons to track down ..... heater fan just quit..... think it's the relay..... need to source a complete window seal kit and a rear lift gate seal..... and I have a bunch of steel plate and heavy tubing here so I am going to get cracking on designing and fabricating my own set of custom bumpers for the front and rear.
Lots to do but as she sits she is a solid runner and since I did the rear main seal, new oil pump, sensor and pan gasket.... she does not leak a drop of oil :)

I "might" go on the hunt for another YJ or a TJ this year..... I miss my 92 renegade with the 4liter stroker. Should never have sold her LOL

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Why do you prefer the Dauntless V6? I thought they had the 258 inline by 77..

Grat's on getting a classic..
the 258 is a very good motor...if you get a good one. there were a couple of years in which a faulty casting (not caught at factory) with severely diminished size oil passages through the block. it'll last thousands of miles, and you'll lose a cylinder because of low oil flow to the lifters. if you don't know this is a problem, you'll fix that & have it happen again, same cylinder...i just preferred the little v-6 overall. i got nearly 22 miles per gallon in mine on the highway if i didn't drive like a fool.

Tynehead Tom

got the cherokee back from the shop and now it has death wobble when i hit a pothole or bump in the road with the passenger tire..... to say that i am pissed right off is an understatement..... 2300.00 and I get it back with a bunch of new parts ...... all steering/suspension related plus a new front driveshaft assembly..... like WTF??
Now I gotta crawl under there and see what the hell they fucked up.
not happy...... shoulda done the work myself.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
got the cherokee back from the shop and now it has death wobble when i hit a pothole or bump in the road with the passenger tire..... to say that i am pissed right off is an understatement..... 2300.00 and I get it back with a bunch of new parts ...... all steering/suspension related plus a new front driveshaft assembly..... like WTF??
i had to add a steering stabilizer bar. killed the shudders/wobbles...hold it, just re-read and you HAVE a steering dampener. damn if i know, unless they installed it F'd up...:dunno::shucks:

Tynehead Tom

yup.... all the stuff they worked on has everything to do with causes of death wobble. Even took it back to them already, left it with them for 5 days. They found a bad tire so changed that out, rebalanced the tires and I dunno...... problem still exists. If I drive careful and miss the potholes and bumps I'm okay but this just isn't acceptable. Owned this jeep for 6 years now and it has never had even one incident of death wobble and I drove it all over western canada in every kind of weather and condition..... I just don't get it.
Nice sunny day today so I'm gonna crawl under there and see if I can troubleshoot it.
If not I'm taking it in to one of the 4x4 shops and if they find something wrong with the work done ..... I'm stopping payments on the 2300.00 original bill

This is what happens when I pay someone to do the work. When I do the work myself..... never a problem

Gone Camping

Did you get under and shake it down? I bet you know how beneficial it is to have a second pair of hands to turn the wheel back and forth while your underneath looking listening and putting hands on parts.

Check the steering box, there's a cast spacer that's common to break giving movement that most don't notice.

Good luck..

Edit: on the heater blower motor.. your rig being a ""Renix" era XJ you have a power wire that's running beneath your upper radiator hose. Iv fixed several that had the insulation worn through where it rubs against the radiator core support.