What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NY Strain Availability...

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Guys..

I live in Portland, OR, now, but was born and raised in a little town about 90 minutes north of NYC. I just went back for a visit, and was talking to an old buddy who now lives in Westchester county. We got talking about weed (wasn't even sure he still smoked..) and I discovered that he does still get high, but it turns out he has never learned about the myriad details about the world of pot. For instance...he didn't know the difference between an indica and a sativa strain.

So, I spent some time giving him the history of weed in the US, and how when we were in high school (early 70's) the weed we were getting was sativas from south of the border. And then how the indoor growing wave began and how most of the product being grown indoors in the beginning were the short-in-height indicas, which was a big change in buzz from the up feeling sativa buzzes. I remember him mentioning back in the 80's how he found the buzz of weed to be mind numbing and how he didn't enjoy it so much anymore.

So anyway...after telling him that there is actually 2 very different kinds of weed-buzz, he was immediately able to recall how he, just by luck of the draw, ended up getting weed that was very different in its effect. He is a family man, and not inclined to research weed to find this stuff out on his own, so I'm trying to give him some information that can help him get the kind of weed he wants...less indica, more sativa (but not racy stuff).

I'm not familiar with the weed scene in NY at all. I'm hoping some of you guys who are familiar with the scene can recommend some strains that are very commonly found in the NY City/Westchester area that would fit this buzz description: an "up" buzz, likely a sativa/indica hybrid or maybe pure sativa, that is low on the paranoia scale, potency is not important...as a matter of fact, average potency might be a good thing here. My friend isn't wealthy, so strains that aren't priced way high would be desirable.

Thanks to anybody who can help me out with this! Oh yea, and I hope you guys are handling the aftermath of Sandy OK....shitty shitty storm.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks gtgio! Any other suggestions? From what I was just reading on the SD, it would seem to be quite a potent strain, would be good to find something not so ass kicking.

Haze.. I'm not sure the exact haze but definately haze is floating around here. Super silver haze, mango haze ,super lemon haze, heard of some train wreck as well.

gtgio

Thanks gtgio! Any other suggestions? From what I was just reading on the SD, it would seem to be quite a potent strain, would be good to find something not so ass kicking.

I think if you oversmoke it would definitely lock you down, but I bet if your friend just took a smoke or two off a one-hitter he'd feel what he was after, its pretty heady

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My Biesel is from that area ..... well hunter mountain area anyways .... i'm sure he's probably run across it .
its a GWS x SSH x ECSD very nice strain & is building some noteriety around these parts :biggrin:
alot of diesels going around & some SSH . alota Kush strains around the capitol area but i'm not into it .... alot of my guys would rather wait for what i can give them . :)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
you have to be a hardcore "head" to develop connections with that kind of diversity, where you could request sativa dom strains and have your dealer say "sure, would you like Jack Herer, or C-99 today?? I have shopped the east coast blackmarket for 3 years on the consumer end and you might get lucky and find a sativa dom that was picked premature sometimes most folks are slangin' 8 week strains...

I have read about these high end delivery services in NYC where you might have a menu of strains but I've never found one.

I'm not saying it's not out there cause I'm growing sativas but the guys that are growing commercial crops usually don't.

I hope someone else here can help you with a connection or strain, i'd like to find some myself today... mines about 3 weeks from ripe.
:biggrin:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
A well grown sativa is hard to find newhere nowaday in the us .... Unless ya doin it yaself... Most growers it ain't practicle at all to take sumthin 14+ wks shit u can get 2 green crack runs in ...or some quick cookies...lol... And get the same ticket what can ya do charge double cuz it took twice as long....... Sativas are out there but ya gotta know someone and well cuz if they rocked it for the long run they arent gonna part with it.... But from what I heard the delivery is hit or miss .... But 80 n 8th everytime ....

bigherb

Veteran
The list is endless

#1 haze lol , kush n deez hybrids out da ass recently a watermelon strain has been talk of the town , ive seen in recent months la con, jack herrer , c99 , hawaians , grape haze , wat is called purps i think merc gdp from cali /bc . Last time I copped from a NYC service they had some nice sativa leaning chocolope , blue cheese was another I recall.

As mentioned above sativas are not commonly sold ,you best bet would be a haze or having a friend with good tastes willing to share his stash lol

I imagine you get the picture I might of got carried away But remember

What's common now is the same in most areas folk who aren't true headies hop on the latest crazy name n stamp it too whatever they get there hands on soo unless you know your shit like anything else u can get BSed . Find a reliable source a good connect is key ,if you have to take a shot just remember you got the $ spend it only if you wish .

1luvbigherb

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My Biesel is from that area ..... well hunter mountain area anyways .... i'm sure he's probably run across it .
its a GWS x SSH x ECSD very nice strain & is building some noteriety around these parts :biggrin:
alot of diesels going around & some SSH . alota Kush strains around the capitol area but i'm not into it .... alot of my guys would rather wait for what i can give them . :)

Hey Dansbuds,

Hunter Mtn...you just on the other side of the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge from where I grew up. Biesel sounds nice, but I'm guessing that most of the weed he is offered is probably from the NYC area, its much closer to his town. I will pass the name Biesel on to him though, cause ya never know.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you have to be a hardcore "head" to develop connections with that kind of diversity, where you could request sativa dom strains and have your dealer say "sure, would you like Jack Herer, or C-99 today?? I have shopped the east coast blackmarket for 3 years on the consumer end and you might get lucky and find a sativa dom that was picked premature sometimes most folks are slangin' 8 week strains...

I have read about these high end delivery services in NYC where you might have a menu of strains but I've never found one.

I'm not saying it's not out there cause I'm growing sativas but the guys that are growing commercial crops usually don't.

I hope someone else here can help you with a connection or strain, i'd like to find some myself today... mines about 3 weeks from ripe.
:biggrin:

Hey Chunky...

What you say is what I feel will be my friend's situation will be. He isn't plugged into the system of providers who distribute weed, and the fact that he didn't even know the difference between indica and sativa suggests to me that his providers never brought the subject up to him.

Given that most folks who grow for the commercial market are like you say concentrating their efforts on 8 week strains, your point about finding a ripe sativa/dom is also right on. So, I guess I should edit my request and forget about the whole "sativa" thing and just ask for recommendations for strain availability that offer a nice "up" buzz, at least avoid strains that melt you into the couch. I know there are strains that are 8 weekers that give a nice social buzz, I guess those are some strains that would fit the bill.

I'm sure if he wasn't doing the whole family thing and had more freedom to break these rat bastard drug laws he would do what so many of us here at ICMag do...grow yer own.

Thanks for your help dude.

NEGT1

I'm going to have to ask a buddy about Biesel. Would it have made the Western Tier in 08-09?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Dansbuds,

Hunter Mtn...you just on the other side of the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge from where I grew up. Biesel sounds nice, but I'm guessing that most of the weed he is offered is probably from the NYC area, its much closer to his town. I will pass the name Biesel on to him though, cause ya never know.

small world Wiggs :biggrin:

yeah if he can find the biesel its sounds alot like what hes looking for . 2 hitter quitter with a nice hazy taste with a fuel kick to it . don't need much to last a couple hours of pleasent bliss :biggrin:

i'm putting 4 into flower in about 10 days ..... its been awhile sense i grew it , my jar needs refilling lol

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
It really all depends on if your are in the city or upstate.
There is a lot of variety in the city. I am not familiar with the upstate scene at all. But you gotta be careful in the city because there is a lot of b grade going as top shelf.

SourDank

Veteran
Everytime I see biesel mentioned I get a smile on my face, one of my favorite strains. I always wondered why no one breeds with any of the phenos, I'd kill for some biesel beans or gals. She is flame, if you can find her, hold her tight

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have the Biesel, its a fantastic strain. Excellent structure, yield, production. I have two in flower now. I can post some pics tonight if anyone is interested.

I grew this years ago and got it back from the same old timer in the hills awhile back. Love it!

Best vibes!