What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

mr hades, thank you very much for taking the time to throw some light & caution on this commonly used product. i was going to try them out, but will think 2x after reading this. i appreciate your thoughts & concern for the better of gardens & IC community. +rep

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fear mongering was mentioned during this thread, and that is exactly what this stickied warning amounts to.
The warning that are being given here are for the most part completely unfounded, and in some cases, obviously made up assumptions.

If anyone wants to engage in a debate over this we can, but I am telling you that Dichlorvos is not the poison that it is made out to be here.
It is NOT considered a carcinogen for starters...which was one of the first warnings given here. Bullshit.
From one of the gov sites the OP cited:
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry said:
It is not known whether dichlorvos causes cancer in people.

Many statements the government (and others) provide on the product simply contradict many of the unfounded warnings given here.

Mr.Hades said:
You shouldn't use "No-Pest Strips" and other products containing Dichlorvos on flowering plants because of its chance of leaving residual amounts of the active ingredient on your plants.
Not true. Dichlorvos is rendered completely benign when in contact with water. There is no poisonous residue left on anything by No Pest Strips, and they work by releasing gas, not a solid or liquid.

Mr.Hades said:
The active chemical (Dichlorvos) can be rinsed off and breaks-down in water but is also a dangerous insecticide and should NOT be used in living areas where people have a chance to inhale the chemical.
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry said:
Studies on people who were exposed to dichlorvos by breathing air in the workplace containing low levels of dichlorvos have not shown any harmful effects.

I also found it interesting that the original poster was the one who suggested it be a stickied post. I agree, but not for the same reason.
Mr.Hades said:
*****This is NOT a thread to discuss the effects of Dichlorvos. It is simply a thread to give caution to those using NPS.
OK, Al Gore...there should be no debate, right? Just accept what you provide out of hand?

Caution of facts or fairy tales

Caution of facts or fairy tales

This is another case of people posting stuff they know nothing about and aasuming thier opinions are correct....if your worried about dichlorvos in your pot you should stop eating then since it's all over your food....
Processing and cooking also removed large percentages of dichlorvos
which may be present on food. For example, wheat with 23.8 ppm of
dichlorvos after treatment produced flour with 4.6 ppm of dichlorvos.
Three months later, the wheat had 2.8 ppm of dichlorvos and the white
flour milled from it had 1.7 ppm. The dichlorvos residue in this flour
after 14 days' storage fell below the limits of detection. Shell
Chemical Company, U.S.A. (unpublished) found that biscuits made from
flour containing 0.35 ppm and 1.8 ppm of dichlorvos had 80 and 60
percent less dichlorvos, respectively. Flour with 9.5 ppm of
dichlorvos heated for 30 minutes at 100°C, 150°C, and 200°C had 0.2
ppm, 0.03 ppm, and 0.02 ppm of dichlorvos, respectively. Rice with 5.3
ppm of dichlorvos had only 0.06 ppm after cooking. Miller and Aitken
(1965) found frying and cooking completely destroyed dichlorvos in the
meat, leaving only products of hydrolysis.

supermanlives

Veteran
just bought 2 more. no shot pest strips are fine unless maybe your breathing them 24/7.i like to use them for a few days in to flower and 30 days in then remove and put in ziplock.been using em for a while. dichlorvos rocks

are they safe to use in an unoccupied room in the house?, it says attics and crawl spaces, but mine are in bed rooms on the same floor, i keep a towel under the door to try and keep it in

GanjaPharma

thanks for making this sticky, every tool has its place, and i was thankfull for nopest strips when the borg attacked my mother room, but after reading about deaths during the 50's and 60's from (the more potent version) no pest strips i figured thats nothing i want on my medicine. regular neeming during veg has kept me mite free for years, even the NPS resistant ones cant fight neem.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts88.html
The major effect of dichlorvos is on the nervous system. Studies on people who were exposed to dichlorvos by breathing air in the workplace containing low levels of dichlorvos have not shown any harmful effects.
Ingesting large doses may cause nausea and vomiting, restlessness, sweating, and muscle tremors, while very large doses may cause coma, inability to breathe, and death.
The second quote could also be used to describe the effects of H2O on humans.

Dichlorvos is safe to use. From what we know today...there would be no way to cause death, unless we were to eat the stuff or something completely out of the question.
And it would take lots of it. Too much water can cause toxicity and death also.

I'd be interested to see what you read about deaths from Dichlorvos.

GanjaPharma

hey there hoosierdaddy,
shell chemical used to make NPS also they were sold under the name vapona. in 1979 shell settled out of court over the death of an unnamed young man who died in a trailer; thats also when they were pulled from the shelves in the us (they are still sold in central america in the original strength) . there isnt much official documentation of this as that was part of the settlement agreement but a little googling turns up a bunch of anecdotal stuff about the incident. i did come across this .pdf a while ago that details some lovely experiments with DDVP on cows rabbits and other non-human participants. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CBEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdpr.ca.gov%2Fdocs%2Frisk%2Frcd%2Fddvp.pdf&rct=j&q=ddvp+settled+shell+chemical&ei=GWa7S7_cO8P7lwed9LXyCw&usg=AFQjCNHo1iujS5NvwsFrAwl3p6sNMcaAVw&sig2=QrqVoA7KM_lF7Ak5CmehEg&as_acct=qi93q5a0&cr=67p8n327g1th
if rabbits and mice die from inhalation exposure, doesnt it follow that a strip hung in a small closet for hours of heat and light exposure could affect the health of someone opening that closet? or the buds that grow in there? do you think the cdc definition of "used as directed" includes the typical uses in a growroom?

ill see if i can hunt down the 1979 case for you, mebe there is something on the intertubes..that was not a digitized world back then

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
*****This is NOT a thread to discuss the effects of Dichlorvos. It is simply a thread to give caution to those using NPS.

Im not telling you NOT to use them...

i wont discuss it either then.

and I WILL tell them not to use it.

there worthless. ive even seen the bugs land right on a fresh one. walk around, and fly off like nothing.

I just started using No Pest Strips on my current grow. I had nothing but problems from thrips on my last grow as I grow in an outdoor shed. Holy shit if these things don't completely knock off the bug problem. It's amazing, I've used sprays and garlic and wound up banging my head against the wall more often than not. Now with one of these No Pest Strips sitting in a 8x6 room, I haven't seen any bugs whatsoever in four weeks.

I've been watching this thread but it seems to be a lot of arguing and little definitive info. I'm waiting for a bottom line with this thread.

H

heavy dank nugg

fuuny cause they work like a charm for me........
maybe yours were old stock or something

Ty_Kaycha

Ok so I just very quickly skimmed this thread as there seems to be a lot of arguing going on.

So let me see if I have this straight...
In a nutshell, one just needs to use these things with caution. Preferably it's to be used in a closed room, no fans, no ventilation, during lights out. During lights on, vent the room before spending a lot of time in it. Also preferred is to get rid of whatever pests are affecting your grow while plants are still in veg.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are no special cautions to use that are not listed on the package.
There is really no toxic concern with these things at all. The gov is always trying to ban this or that for whatever reason, and just can't make it stick with dichlorvos. Mainly because there is nothing wrong with using it. It is a great product that works as intended with no ill consequences to humans at all.

It is used extensively in the storage of grains and dry foodstuffs, and would be used as an outdoor pesticide as well, but water renders it completely harmless for even bugs, so it is limited to indoor use.

And I believe that dichlorvos works on the nervous system of the insects, so an immediate falling down dead shouldn't be the result we see from an insect landing on the unit. I don't think that is much of a pertinent anecdote.

We need to use cautions with just about any product we use...for instance you don't really want to be in a room full of water unless you have adequate ventilation, due to the fact that water will block your lungs from proper oxygen intake and you can drown deader than hell in just a few seconds.
Also, be very cautious about the intake level of water...as it will become toxic to humans if ingested at a high volume in a short period of time.

Ty_Kaycha

We need to use cautions with just about any product we use...

So what you're saying is I shouldn't pack these in my kids' lunchboxes to snack on, as there might be some side effects...
:)

...Also, be very cautious about the intake level of water...as it will become toxic to humans if ingested at a high volume in a short period of time.

Very true. Several times a year during military bootcamp/basic training a trainee will consume too much water. Several have died of the years. The drill sergeants/instructors can get so worried that their unit is going to get dehydrated that order them to drink from their canteens. Of course all the trainees do as ordered. Unfortunately some don't realize they should just fake taking a drink as they're already well hydrated. I think a couple of years ago, the military instructed their trainers to change their order to "if needed, take a drink of water..."

ROJO145

Veteran
I have yet to see a bug problem the Hot Shot couldnt handle,I love em!!I see mileage varies tho,thats wierd cuz like I said,nothin,stands a chance against a Hot Shot!!
Also,smart people hang em overnite in thier grow then zip em up in a zip lock till needed again:tiphat:

rocdiesel

So the consensus here is to NOT use this while flowering? I am having spider mite issues in my flower room and a bit in my veg, I can't seem to get rid of the problem using sprays.. I have tried neem oil, organacide (not in flower) I have tried water/alcohol and soap mixes I can't seem to get rid of these fricking mites in my flower tent. Worst part is my enviroment is like heaven for spider mites its like very maybe 10% RH and like 83F :(

I am open for suggestions on solutions I picked up some no pest strips but I haven't used them yet as I am a bit scared.. I don't want to harm the buds I am gonna smoke

supermanlives

Veteran
work well for me. just remove them after a few days.if used in veg its impossible to do any damage. i wont use the after 2 weeks flower. any dichlorvos used in veg dont matter as you aint smoking leavesand the buds havent formed yet. i wouldnt want to breath them 24/7. limited exposure to dichlorvos wont harm anything or anyone

speckledbeans

Alternatives?

Alternatives?

I haven't read through all 5 pages, but is there something that the masses can recommend instead? I think alternatives or links to them should be put in the original sticky?

sB...

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I use these in the room I have the grow tent in or the tent itself? I have to turn off the fan in the tent while this is working?
Finally, a day or so of this will do it? I want to use the least amount of time.