What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

8 years in prison sucks...BUT.........

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
......why in the world would anyone want to go hiking in an active war zone??????

To me this defies any and every sense of logic!

Iran sentences 2 American men to 8 years in jail

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Two American men already held for two years in Tehran have been sentenced to 8 years each in prison on charges of espionage and illegal entry into Iran, state TV reported Saturday.The announcement appeared to dash hopes for the imminent release of Shane Bauer and Josh Fattal after Iran's foreign minister suggested earlier this month that the trial could clear the way for their freedom.

Click photo to view more images. (AFP)

The Americans deny the charges and say they were only hiking in a scenic and largely peaceful area of northern Iraq near the Iranian border.
The two men have been held since July 2009 after being taken into custody on the Iran-Iraq border. A third American who was taken with them, Sarah Shourd, was released in September 2010 on $500,000 bail and returned to the United States.
Shourd's case "is still open," the website irinn.ir reported.
Bauer and Fattal, who are both 28, have been sentenced to three years each for illegal entry into Iran and five years each for spying for the United States, the website quoted "informed sources" at Iran's judiciary as saying. It was not immediately clear if that includes time served. They have 20 days to appeal the sentence.
Their Iranian attorney, Masoud Shafiei, said he has not been notified of the verdict but he will definitely appeal the sentence if true.
"I've not been notified of any verdict in the case of my clients," Shafiei told The Associated Press. "This is a strong verdict inconsistent with the charges."

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they were in the middle of nowhere,unless you happen to be a mountaineer,that area has some of the finest unclimbed mountain peaks left in the world....

F

ForbiddenFruit

Interesting story, at first, from looking at the picture, I thought that they appear to be some form of low level CIA patsy, specifically used for one time recon missions that have a high likely-hood of being botched. The objective is twofold, have the agents gather data, (pictures, coordinates, military presence, potential entries into the country, etc), but also burn them by having them captured, as a sort of a first initiation ritual with Iran. Its like hey we sent some mountain climbers into your country, how do you like it. You know these guys, were probably computer programers, offered 500,000 each to hike the border and collect Intel, if captured act like hikers.

Anyway that is my james bond perspective, I was going to finish but got burnt out, you get the picture. Its possible that they were only innocent hikers, but i don't understand why they were in Iraq in the first place?. Maybe they were only innocent independent news journalists/hiking enthusiasts that simply wanted the next big story or pictures from the controversial and mysterious Iran. Who knows. Interesting story none the less.

Budweiser13

Dude if we want to get into Iran we don't need some fucking people hiking out in there mountains. We probably have people inside there right now. Oh and FUCK IRAN we could blow the shit out of them if really needed to these guys got fucked for some bullshit but I agree there are more nicer places to go hiking then in this region of the world FUCK IRAN.

BattleAxe

Interesting story, at first, from looking at the picture, I thought that they appear to be some form of low level CIA patsy, specifically used for one time recon missions that have a high likely-hood of being botched. The objective is twofold, have the agents gather data, (pictures, coordinates, military presence, potential entries into the country, etc), but also burn them by having them captured, as a sort of a first initiation ritual with Iran. Its like hey we sent some mountain climbers into your country, how do you like it. You know these guys, were probably computer programers, offered 500,000 each to hike the border and collect Intel, if captured act like hikers.

Anyway that is my james bond perspective, I was going to finish but got burnt out, you get the picture. Its possible that they were only innocent hikers, but i don't understand why they were in Iraq in the first place?. Maybe they were only innocent independent news journalists/hiking enthusiasts that simply wanted the next big story or pictures from the controversial and mysterious Iran. Who knows. Interesting story none the less.

I don't know anyone that decides to just up and go to Iran for a hike. Especially given the political climate. Sounds like a spy game to me.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
maybe they were after some of the local land race genetics lol.

those mountain tribes take their cannabis seriously hehe...

G

guest86120975

They were hiking in Kurdistan (northern Iraq) which isn't a war zone. The Iranians came over the border and kidnapped them.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
i dont know about you guys but i like going to places that are considered 'dangerous' and so do a lot of other people like journalists, photographers, etc.

there was a woman hiker with these guys and she was released due to her poor health.

also they were in iraq not iran and the Iranians came over and arrested them.

Securityfirst

I found it interesting that Iranians or Iran in general have a lot of heroin addicts because of the proximity to Afghanistan. I wonder what the Iranian prison system is like? I also always wonder what kind of food they are served? Has anybody been?

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Dude if we want to get into Iran we don't need some fucking people hiking out in there mountains. We probably have people inside there right now. Oh and FUCK IRAN we could blow the shit out of them if really needed to these guys got fucked for some bullshit but I agree there are more nicer places to go hiking then in this region of the world FUCK IRAN.

Your such a tool bro..... those Hikers lol you guys love the U.S Media dont you... Ever heard of MOSSAD idiots....

David Icke....do some reading tool :ying:

Talk shit on the place where the greatest Cannabis in the world comes from naturally.... you stupid ass tool ....

R

rick shaw

They are part of the new 'I don't give fuck' generation,and to honor them,I don't give a fuck about them.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Stupid people doing stupid things. If they were really just "hiking" then they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce and I don't think they will be anytime soon, whats Bubba in Farsi. We have enough really stupid people in the world as it is.

Latest posts

Latest posts