What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cheapo reflectors...

philcollins

I have seen some awesome grows on here which used the cheap batwing reflectors....any opinions on the cheapo vs. high end reflectors?.....also...i am under the impression that the glass from the aircooled reflectors cuts down on the light for the plants....?

IKILL3RI

I have seen some awesome grows on here which used the cheap batwing reflectors....any opinions on the cheapo vs. high end reflectors?.....also...i am under the impression that the glass from the aircooled reflectors cuts down on the light for the plants....?

I have heard about the glass reducing the light too but it will sure hell keep your grow cool if you get an air cooled reflector, I'M using a regular bat wing reflector and temps are always really high, need an AC in my grow room too keep it cool, but yea I've seen a lot of excellent grows with cheap reflector bought from ebay too..

philcollins

i'm designing a small, personal grow...and i am looking to save money wherever possible...the aircooled settups get pricey...

I tried to leave out the air cooled setup when I did my first grow... If you plan on getting a 600w or larger then it's a bad idea. Even if you do manage to get the temps in range you will be running way too much air through your plants.

About the glass cutting down on light -- Light diminishes very quickly as it moves from a source (I forget the exact converion), so by cooling the lamp you can move it much closer to the plants without burning them, which means you overall get a LOT more light to your plants by cooling the lamp. The glass loses like 8% I think (what I've read other-wheres), but you will double your light if you can half the distance from the light to the plant. Hope this makes a little bit of sense, if you are going to invest in a lamp, seeds, nutes, fans, etc, you might as well get an air cooled reflector. If you plan on getting a smaller lamp (like 250 watt or CFLS, flouros) then I would advise the air cooling but it's not as big a deal.

Ember1

A good reflector is the most important part in my opinion. There is a lot of technology in reflectors now days. If you're not getting as much usable light directed down to the plants, you are wasting energy and light.
Bat wings work, but are not the most efficient. Although the glass in air cooled hoods cuts down on the PAR/Lumen output a little, it also blocks most of the UV that can/will damage your eyes as well.

C

CFL_Grow

I read a thread on here where a member used a Lumen/Candle meter with a lot of diff hoods, with and without glass. If i remember correctly the loose of light from the glass was around 2%

No experience with different hoods. Im using a supersun 2 with glass and can get it within 6 inches with no burn running a 400w hps. Maybe closer, i have not tried.

If you are really strapped for cash, why not go vertical ?

growshopfrank

Veteran
they aren't that cheap but adjust-a-wing reflectors work very well,you can easily adjust the spread and intensity of the light they rock

dunkydunk

if you are going to invest in a lamp, seeds, nutes, fans, etc, you might as well get an air cooled reflector. If you plan on getting a smaller lamp (like 250 watt or CFLS, flouros) then I would advise the air cooling but it's not as big a deal.

The more wattage you have, the more you'll need to deal with the heat. Even if it's a small, personal grow, you will still want to get the most out of it with the fewest problems. Air cooled reflectors are built to solve the problem of excess heat. Maybe they cost some money, but they do last forever, it's a one-time cost.

whodair

Veteran
no reflector ??

no reflector ??

have you considered bare bulb vertical...i ditched my reflectors, the room was cooler without a metal object radiating heat above the bulb, and also much brighter....better yields soon followed !!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

reflector free since 2010 homie !!

bu11dog

An aircooled reflector like a 5-6" cooltube, with a hammered/dimpled reflector on top, either cheapo or better - a nice bat-wing, is a good and effective combo.

Peace

the gnome

Veteran
An aircooled reflector like a 5-6" cooltube, with a hammered/dimpled
Peace

thats what I have
I paid $280 shipped for:
6" cool tube
huge dimpled aluminum reflector 26x29"
1000w digi ballast w/2 1000w bulbs MH/HPS
timer and yoyo hangers

I know its a cheapo kit but I just took harvested45oz with 2
of these 1000w kits I paid $560 for, and its my 1st grow :)

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cooltubes are pretty easy to make ,and cost around $83.Their was a thread about them awhile back

A pyrex bake-a-round tube from ebay $20-25
A cheapo batwing $25-30
A computer fan grill ,to mount the bulb socket $3
A bulb socket with cord from htg $25-30
Some wire and clamps to mount the grill and secure
tube to reflector $5

The best part is that they are light as a feather around 2 lbs and a pleasure to work with.Just throwing out some ideas,hope this helps.

What i really wanna know is how to make a air cooled vertical tube,i see them on here all the time.

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Latest posts