What's new

The helicopters got one of my friends

O

OrganicOzarks

So I have read of someone on here that got out of his charges because the copter flew below 1500' without a warrant. One of my friends was just busted by a copter a couple of weeks ago, and i am trying to get more info on this FAA rule. He actually had his plants in his garden. There were not many. They flew to his house knowing they would be there. They did not have a warrant, and my friend has pictures of them flying very low to the ground. I have found some info on flying recklessly, but not on the flying below 1500' rule. Thanks for the help in advance.

Mrgrowem

Here's a couple I found for ya. These are Fed laws. States may have different laws from the Feds, but most seem to adopt the same rules. In fact, I couldn't find one state that has a different set of laws. The District of Columbia does seem to have some of there own though, and I can understand that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowest_safe_altitude

Anywhere: an altitude allowing a safe emergency landing without undue hazard to person or property on the ground;
Over Congested Areas: an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of less than 2,000 feet;
Over Populated Areas: an altitude of 500 feet AGL;
Over Open Water or Sparsely Populated Areas: an altitude allowing for a linear distance greater than 500 from any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure;
Helicopters: an altitude lower than in definitions 2, 3, and 4 above, as long as it is not in violation of definition 1 and in compliance with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080115043855AAHA0Wg

Law enforcement, the military and firefighters have a waiver that allows them to fly as low as necessary in the line of duty, but in general (just getting from point A to point B) they're not supposed to hug the deck.

Both of these sites are subject to bad or incomplete information. Don't take as gospel what you might read there.

phrike

Law enforcement, the military and firefighters have a waiver that allows them to fly as low as necessary in the line of duty, but in general (just getting from point A to point B) they're not supposed to hug the deck.

Hmm, does "in the line of duty" include following up on an alleged tip ?

KathyLee

Hmm, does "in the line of duty" include following up on an alleged tip ?

I don't think the plants were going to take off in a White Bronnco so there's no raeson for them to be breaking any laws. And as we all know Federal laws trump state laws.

P.S. sorry about your friend tell him to change his name to Bayer or Pfizer and he'll get off.

How did the LEO know he had plants in the yard? Also, I'm curious to know how many and how big they were. Stories like these get me paranoid and worried! Best of luck to your pal. I really hope he gets out of this relatively unscathed. Not much point punishing small gardens when there are illegal warehouse grows to take down.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Could've been a neighbor, a "friend", meter reader. Warehouses have roofs. When you grow in the open, don't be surprised when people see what's in front of their faces.

darko_G

i hope they find spending thousands an hour worth a lil garden medi grower.. but then again people profit from all that spending dont they

So I have read of someone on here that got out of his charges because the copter flew below 1500' without a warrant. One of my friends was just busted by a copter a couple of weeks ago, and i am trying to get more info on this FAA rule. He actually had his plants in his garden. There were not many. They flew to his house knowing they would be there. They did not have a warrant, and my friend has pictures of them flying very low to the ground. I have found some info on flying recklessly, but not on the flying below 1500' rule. Thanks for the help in advance.

. . you would want to check he wasn't ratted on first, those choppers i believe are not worth shit . .

Bob Jones

You'll find that the actual law is that they're not supposed to fly below 500' over inhabited areas if they do so in an "unsafe" manner. In other words there is no real height limitation on helicopters, particularly police choppers. That one ain't gonna work.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
did they come grappling down off the helicopter or did the chopper spot his crop and then send a team by vehicle? was the grow is a remote site or in a relatively populated backyard garden?

namknuks

So they fired up the chopper for a couple of plants in the back yard. Seems like a flashlight would have worked just as well.

dexter840

in the state of florida they can't fly lower than 1000 with a "fixed wing plane" meaning choppers need not apply. also has to be seen with a naked eye meaning no binoculars or things like that.

RoachClip

I hold El Roacho's
Veteran
Even if state laws are different then federal laws as the feds laws supersede state laws and their for having any type of defense is made Impossible pertaining to fly zone laws.

we could have the Lord Jesus Christ over for dinner and get busted and the feds would charge him to and until the Goverment changes it's laws against cannabis it will remain a class one felony and the feds will always supersede any state laws as their ryme and reason to bust our balls and treat us like criminals.

IKILL3RI

I just got raided 2 days ago by some Undercover Pigs but i later found out it was a neighbor that snitched me out, Luckily I just had 3 plants and they really didn't care about it cuz i had a doc recommendation.

Sry to hear about your friend but were i live, every single day i got to deal with choppers flying so fkn low that i get paranoid no joke, i cant even enjoy my Mary Jane.