What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing from seeds

Cindiwaa

Is there a minimum time that they need to veg before flowering? It seems like it should veg for a certain amount of time before flowering but I can't remember reading anything about it...go figure.

Thanks,

Cindiwaa

D

DuhBlec

I'm pretty sure you can veg for as long as you want to. Some people even grow 12/12 from seed to sex their plants early. As far as I understand it its just personal preference and how big you want your plants... then flip the switch!

peace~

thal

You can go 12/12 from seed but you will lose yield.

I've heard people suggest waiting 60 days before flowering something from seed, but I've never put that to the test.

I've always been told the general rule is that it takes 21 days for a plant to fully show sex.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

All the above is correct. Also depends on how much head room you have to grow.

Growing cannabis from seed will lead to a jump start in stretch when you flip, so they will be taller than a clone from the same plant....for example superskunk flowered at 9 inch's will end up around 2 feet tall after stretch.

I prefer for the plants to let me know when they are sexually mature which is usually 8 - 10 weeks. Then from the females I take clones, label them etc.

All depends though. Sometimes I need a crop done quickly, so I'll veg for 4 weeks then flip.

Cindiwaa

Well I was reading on a differant thread that if the plant is not sexualy mature that the bud will not be at its potential. After thinknig about it, it kind of made good sence. Mostly indica so height shouldn't be a problem. No real diffenant answer. The other thread said to allways make clones because they should be sexually mature and just be down right better!

E

evrchaning

Interesting question with lots of answers. Just lurking loudly for peoples opinions.

atullemas

Is there a minimum time that they need to veg before flowering? It seems like it should veg for a certain amount of time before flowering but I can't remember reading anything about it...go figure.

Thanks,

Cindiwaa

Hello, there's no minumum or maximum time to let the plants veg. It depends the strain you work with, depends the size of your room, the size of ypur container...

Commomly, indica veriety needs more vegging than sativa variety.

I personaly let my indicas veg for 2 months and sativas for a month.
Hope this help
cheers

I think it depends on headroom and which variety you have, tall or short. I grow mostly from seed, the calendar looks like this most of the time. Start seeds on day 1. They're ready for transpant into rockwool around day 10 or 14. 2 or 3 weeks on 24 hours light, then flip to 12/12.
Sometimes I have to adjust to the plant. Some varieities want to grow fast towards the light so they need to be bent down, others might never hit 3 feet. There's a lot of cultural practices to help moderate height or train plants.

ibjamming

Veteran
It all depends on the strain and the room you've got to grow in. The longer it spends in veg stage...the bigger she'll get!

Find a strain you like and learn how to grow it. There are journals, grow reports...stick to something common and popular.

It doesn't matter how soon you flip the lights...it will flower when it's mature.

really good thread/topic!

This is taken from Greg Greens breeders bible(also in his growers bible) good books!

chapter23 page207
In order for a plant to respond to the 12/12 photoperiod, it must be sufficiently sexually mature.

A plants(from seed) sexual maturity occurs 1-2wks before initial calyx developement(preflowers) appears at the nodes.This is not photoperiod initiated. Once the calyx developement has appeared under the 18/6 or 24 veg photoperiod you can move to/trigger flowering 12/12. Its really that simple.

Moving mj plants(from seed)to flower cycle, before they show preflowers can stress the plant. And stress = more males. Many dont know or realize that the grow environment CAN influence the final sexual outcome. This(stressful enviro) is why some are finding males and herms from feminized seeds. And this is also proven w/grow tips to get higher% of females from standard seeds.

Basically a stressful grow environment = more males

A good grow environment - more females.

Greg Greens breeders/growers bible both explain it easiest, but this is also explained in Jorges C's growers bible, Robert Connell Clarkes Marijuana Botany, and a few others. Any help PM me!
PEACE!!!!

IMO you might want to checkout the grow tips for more females before you start germination! goodluck!

PS all mj strains will show maturity(preflowers) later in veg just be patient. clones dont need any veg because their already sexually mature!

liquidlight

When considering how long to veg for, you also must consider the height of the plant versus how mutch of the canopy your lighting can penetrate. And remember that plants still grow and stretch during flowering also and can double in height.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
Ideally you should start flowering when the plant/s are sexually mature and showing preflowers (6-8 weeks) but i veg for 4 weeks and start my 12/12 when my plants are 12"-14" tall. That i can manage to do in 4 weeks from seed. 2 weeks 24/0 and 2 weeks of 18/6 then i flip to 12/12 and in 12 weeks i am ready to harvest (4 weeks veg and 8 weeks flowering).
(good luck).

LUDA.

LUDACRIS

Veteran
Ideally you should start flowering when the plant/s are sexually mature and showing preflowers (6-8 weeks) but i veg for 4 weeks and start my 12/12 when my plants are 12"-14" tall. That i can manage to do in 4 weeks from seed. 2 weeks 24/0 and 2 weeks of 18/6 then i flip to 12/12 and in 12 weeks i am ready to harvest (4 weeks veg and 8 weeks flowering).
(good luck).

LUDA.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Commomly, indica veriety needs more vegging than sativa variety.

That is backwards...

Depends on your definition of "needs"

12/12 from the beginning, a sativa can take 20 weeks and will never stop stretching out. Me, I was throwing out growing shoots hand over fist, there was no room for it all. An Indica can finish in 6-8 weeks. If you do 12/12 from the start, you'll get one nice cola and that's about it.

In terms of yield, esp in a cab, it's fair to say Indica's "need" more veg time. I'll go so far as to say, under these conditions, sativa's "need" no veg time at all.

TexasToker

Depends on your definition of "needs"

12/12 from the beginning, a sativa can take 20 weeks and will never stop stretching out. Me, I was throwing out growing shoots hand over fist, there was no room for it all. An Indica can finish in 6-8 weeks. If you do 12/12 from the start, you'll get one nice cola and that's about it.

In terms of yield, esp in a cab, it's fair to say Indica's "need" more veg time. I'll go so far as to say, under these conditions, sativa's "need" no veg time at all.

Weird. I grow 12/12 from seed usually, and sativas always mature slower. Wouldn't that translate into them 'needing' more veg time since an indica will be mature and in full blown flower sooner than a sativa?

If you were to veg one 100% indica and one 100% sativa for the same amount of time, lets say 60 days, (which in general is considered 'mature')in my experience the indica shows sex faster and transitions to flower faster...

Wouldn't that mean the indica is more chemically mature than the sativa?

ibjamming

Veteran
Usually it's a size issue TexasToker... To get the same size plant, you start a sativa at 12/12 and let an indica veg for a while.

Genetics is involved too...an equatorial sativa grows in a 12/12 environment anyway...it's adapted to it. An indica growing up in high elevations/lattitudes has evolved to take advantage of much longer days and much quicker growing seasons. Sativas take their time...indicas are in a hurry.

There's a reason for everything...and exceptions to everything too.