What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My lungs and BHO

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Well I used to smoke anywhere from 2-4g of quality flower a day and I have been smoking like that daily for many years, and I was spitting up serious amounts of black/brown mucus all hours of the day and night. So I made the switch to BHO/QWET/Absolutes fulltime around 7 months ago all being made by me from bud I have not grown. The first 5-6 months have been great I stopped spitting up huge amounts of brown/black mucus and I didn't have that constant need to hack all fucking day which was really great.
The past two weeks I have been noticing a decrease in lung capicity after dabbing, my lungs feel like they're stuck together and I can't get a full breath in. At first I chalked this up to high concentrations of plant waxes in my bho, but washing with ethanol time and time again has proved there to be very low amount of waxes present. Even the absolutes are giving my lungs these breathing troubles and its really annoying because I love the effects and taste from quality oils, but I dont love the way it's making my lungs feel atm.
Just to make sure it was the oil doing this I stopped for a two days and smoked a shit ton of kingsized joints, I hacked up a little bit of brown mucus, but did not experience any shortness of breath during or after smoking. It could be that I'm extracting oils from buds I have not grown and possibly concentrating fertilizers/pesticides/fungicides and this is creating the shortness of breath I'm feeling?

My oil is very smooth and doesn't cause me to cough, but right after I blow the dab out I get this sticky lung feeling like I can't take a deep breath!
So whats the deal guys? anyone get this unfortunate shortness breath after dabbing bho/absolutes?

ellinho

firstly i would go and make a lung function test, just to make sure youre not dealing with sth serious here. i read you smoke joints and they contain as much tar as the equal cigarette, so it will cause the same health problems if introduced over a long period.

after that i would have a look into vapos ...

sry if i didnt answer any of your questions, but this were just my thoughts on your topic :)

stay safe and healthy bro!

SourPurp

Well I used to smoke anywhere from 2-4g of quality flower a day and I have been smoking like that daily for many years, and I was spitting up serious amounts of black/brown mucus all hours of the day and night. So I made the switch to BHO/QWET/Absolutes fulltime around 7 months ago all being made by me from bud I have not grown. The first 5-6 months have been great I stopped spitting up huge amounts of brown/black mucus and I didn't have that constant need to hack all fucking day which was really great.
The past two weeks I have been noticing a decrease in lung capicity after dabbing, my lungs feel like they're stuck together and I can't get a full breath in. At first I chalked this up to high concentrations of plant waxes in my bho, but washing with ethanol time and time again has proved there to be very low amount of waxes present. Even the absolutes are giving my lungs these breathing troubles and its really annoying because I love the effects and taste from quality oils, but I dont love the way it's making my lungs feel atm.
Just to make sure it was the oil doing this I stopped for a two days and smoked a shit ton of kingsized joints, I hacked up a little of brown mucus, but did not experience any shortness of breath during or after smoking. It could be that I'm extracting oils from buds I have not grown and possibly concentrating fertilizers/pesticides/fungicides and this is creating the shortness of breath I'm feeling?

My oil is very smooth and doesn't cause me to cough, but right after I blow the dab out I get this sticky lung feeling like I can't take a deep breath!
So whats the deal guys? anyone get this unfortunate shortness breath after dabbing bho/absolutes?

Unfortunately I do not have a good answer for your question although I can say that EXACT feeling used to happen to me right after dabbing some Everclear oil so I stopped dabbing haha!. I did want to address the first couple of statements you were making about coughing up stuff from smoking. It seems to me that this is a common sentiment (coughing up black/brown mucus) among smokers and it's got me thinking...maybe people's smoke isn't as 'organic' or clean as people think. Everybody is always like "all I'm smoking is my own clean medicine and I don't understand why I'm hacking and coughing up crap". I've been smoking my own buds and hash for like 10 years (1-2g/day) along with my own pressed and non-pressed trichomes and I've never had any breathing problems or hacking up stuff. Any mucus comes out like normal (white or yellow). I tihnk a lot of people THINK they're medicine is clean. I know you stated the buds you were puffing weren't your own...maybe it's time to start growing my friend!! :)

always think getting the first fresh breath of fresh air feels worse than the oil. I dont fill my lungs to capacity with oil. nice thick smoke at a slow pace, pull off, and start inhaling air, exhale half, take in more air, then exhale. Show me someone that can rip drysift all day long 24/7 (Rhetorical).

take a break, smoke some weed, get some exercise.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I haven't been able to set up a new grow yet as I'm in the process of moving the fuck out of the state. So I have to buy my bud for now, but as soon as I can I'm setting up an organic/veganic grow so I can have clean medicine to extract from.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Ya I have been riding my bike every sunny day, but any cardio exercise in general helps my breathing and opens up my lungs. I also try and avoid filling my lungs fully with smoke or vapor I call this upperlung smoking.

I think your right maybe its time for a little break I haven't given my lungs time off in about 4-5 years and they're starting to bitch at me after all this heavy abuse......

i too was smoking way to much bud daily, and coughing up black stuff. i switched to smoking oil 95% of the time almost 2 months ago and it really helped like you said. i don't ever remember feeling like that in the past off just oil, but think about this. when i clean my oil rig, the "resin" that oil produces is so much stickier it seems

Retardo Motabon

Seenyourmember:0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dabbing is hard on the throat and lungs. That smoke goes in hot.
I have given up dabbing for the vape pen. My lungs and especially my throat have been thankful for it. Give one a try!:)

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
i read you smoke joints and they contain as much tar as the equal cigarette, so it will cause the same health problems if introduced over a long period.

I believe that is what you have read, but I disagree that cannabis tar is equivilant to other tars.

If so wouldn't the guys in india and jamacia that smoke ALL DAY EVERY DAY for religious reasons experience long term effects? Those lower class people with terrible health care have been around for generations and not a single reported case emphysema or lung cancer because of cannabis ues.

Again I am not a scientist but I have to disagree that cannabis tar is similar to carcenagenic tars.

:joint:

THC123

Veteran
Again I am not a scientist but I have to disagree that cannabis tar is similar to carcenagenic tars

yeah but if you smoke all day non stop it is normal that your lung capacity decreases duh

even if you vape from morning till evening for months your lung capacity will decrease

JHerbz

How much do you guys dab a day? or even in 1 session? this is mainly pointed at the OP but im just curious.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I usually take one or two small dabs every hour from the time I wake up till I go to bed, averaging about half gram or so a day.
I am very interested in a vape pen, Im going on a vacation down to florida and a vape pen would be nice instead of taking my oil rig, torch and dabber with me.

T

Truthman

Get you some boveda packs and let it sit in a closed container with your oil(leave the oil uncovered) for up to two days to let the oil absorb a good amount of the moisture before you begin to puff on the oil again and keep the boveda in their until your oil is gone. You may not like this as it will give your oil a real thick oil like texture but this is a sign that your lungs won't be in danger of drying out. When ever I see hard concentrates I dread what will happen to people who constantly take it in because why would you inhale something dry like that but would never eat something dry like that and your lungs definitely need moisture and not be dry. Remember our bodies are at least 70% moisture and would do everything needed to keep it this way.

What is happening is the oil is absorbing moisture from your lungs being that certain substances in it are hygroscopic(this is why a lot of water hash loses it's taste when the herb is in too much contact with the water for too long) and being that you take in so much a day it is going to hurt your lungs in the end and trust me you don't want that feeling.

If you don't use the boveda packs then you should do dabbing once or twice a day and only using a small amount each time. Also make sure you drink do some type of cardio that gets you to breath more than normal and drink water, before, and after the workout so you can get your lungs to make more mucus which is what the oil is drying out.

http://bovedainc.com/

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I don't think adding moisture to my oil will make it easier on my lungs, removing moisture along with the solvents used is key to a proper purge. Storing any cannabis product with added moisture is asking for mold. Do you add extra moisture to your flowers and bubble before smoking ?

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Just wanted to help clear this up - Smoked cannabis bud (Not oil extractions) does not bind to your lungs like nicotine - smoking cannabis bud DOES NOT IMPAIR LUNG FUNCTION. If you take way too big hits and die coughing over and over - you can irritate your lungs/throat for a little bit (You can even get this vaporizing by coughing too much) - but smoking bud does not hurt or impair your lungs.

Moderate Marijuana Use Does Not Impair Lung Function, Study Finds (2012) Peer Reviewed

Full Article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/marijuana-smoking-does-not-harm-lungs-study-finds/

"The new research is one of the most extensive looks to date at whether long-term marijuana use causes pulmonary damage, and specifically whether its impact on the lungs is as harmful as smoking cigarettes. The researchers followed more than 5,000 people over two decades and found that regularly smoking marijuana — the equivalent of up to a joint a day over seven years — did not impair performance on a lung function test. The test, a measure of pulmonary obstruction that looks at the amount of air a person can force out in one second after taking a deep breath, is typically worsened by smoking tobacco."

touringfunkband

Do you have health insurance? Have you considered asking your PCP to give you a referral to get a chest xray? If it doesn't cost anything out of pocket, it's worth it just to rule out any other issues. Best of health to you..

T

Truthman

I don't think adding moisture to my oil will make it easier on my lungs, removing moisture along with the solvents used is key to a proper purge. Storing any cannabis product with added moisture is asking for mold. Do you add extra moisture to your flowers and bubble before smoking ?

Yes, that's why I gave you the advice. Just do research on it(boveda).

Just get a pack and use it on a small amount of your oil and see for yourself if what I state is true or not. It won't hurt you. Make sure you place the boveda above the oil because moisture drops. The Cvault is a good product to store your boveda and oil.

http://www.freshstor.com/cvault.html

http://bovedainc.com/solutions/herbal/

Boveda is the standard in proper herbal medicine storage.

Boveda is the global leader in 2-way humidity control. It’s engineered in a wide range of Rh (relative humidity) levels to regulate within 1% of the pre-determined Rh by responding to ambient conditions. Why is this important for medical cannabis?

Medical cannabis is the only medicine that is currently without FDA-regulated care/storage instructions. We believe medical cannabis can seize the initiative to further legitimize itself by recognizing the scientifically ideal Rh for herbal storage. In an effort to help medical cannabis gain wider sanctioning as a legal medicine, Boveda sponsored an independent moisture sorption isotherm analysis on various strains over a wide range of Rh levels to objectively determine the ideal Rh for medical cannabis.

These results showed that cannabis is best preserved in a 59-63% Rh environment. For this reason, Boveda has recently released our 62% Rh product. Boveda benefits the entire industry by allowing quality control for farmers throughout distribution (Boveda is available in large sizes), controlled storage for dispensaries and proper at-home care for patients. And because you can preserve cannabis indefinitely with Boveda, patients can purchase more medicine without worry that it will be affected by the environment. Standard Rh storage is also important for products sold exclusively by weight. Dispensaries and patients should know exactly what they’re getting.

All Boveda perform best when in an air tight container and some manufacturers have specifically designed their containers with Boveda in mind.

T

Truthman

Just wanted to help clear this up - Smoked cannabis bud (Not oil extractions) does not bind to your lungs like nicotine - smoking cannabis bud DOES NOT IMPAIR LUNG FUNCTION. If you take way too big hits and die coughing over and over - you can irritate your lungs/throat for a little bit (You can even get this vaporizing by coughing too much) - but smoking bud does not hurt or impair your lungs.

Moderate Marijuana Use Does Not Impair Lung Function, Study Finds (2012) Peer Reviewed

Full Article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/marijuana-smoking-does-not-harm-lungs-study-finds/

"The new research is one of the most extensive looks to date at whether long-term marijuana use causes pulmonary damage, and specifically whether its impact on the lungs is as harmful as smoking cigarettes. The researchers followed more than 5,000 people over two decades and found that regularly smoking marijuana — the equivalent of up to a joint a day over seven years — did not impair performance on a lung function test. The test, a measure of pulmonary obstruction that looks at the amount of air a person can force out in one second after taking a deep breath, is typically worsened by smoking tobacco."

Look at how much they deemed moderate use, ONE JOINT A DAY. A lot of people smoke way more than that and big as joints/blunts or bong tokes. Having a cigarette a day will most likely lead to the same results.
Also, cannabinoids does bind to your lungs as the lungs have cb1 & cb2 receptors. Plus the dry, sticky substances bind to it due to condensation and the reasons I gave.

Latest posts

Latest posts