What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No jobs for stoners?

Unicron

What's up. I'm sure you guys have heard it all before, but I'm going to complain anyways.

I'm finally in a position to move out of Nebraska, where pot is very illegal, and into a legal state - Oklahoma.

Over the past couple weeks I've been hitting up maybe a half dozen of growers and dispensaries trying to land a job ahead of time.

Well, I've had no luck. On my resume I talk about my experience just being my own personal grow which of course was illegal, which I had stopped due to risks some years back.

Do you guys think that's the problem? That my only experience in the industry is from the illegal side of it, or is it just not easy to get your foot in the door?

Thanks for the insight.

Cuddles

Practically all growers started out doing it illegally once so that won´t be the problem.

The problem will be that there just ain´t any jobs to give away, especially to a total stranger. If you can´t find one once you´re there, why not just set up your own little business ? :)

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Congratulations on getting out of Nebraska.

Now focus on getting out of Oklahoma.

Jobs are where the people are.

But I'm also prone to think you had it better risking your ass.

G

There were some of the earlier legal shops in Alaska that specifically didn't want folks with prior illegal cultivation experience. I can imagine they had (potentially) several reasons for that stance, but yeah, if you want good French bread, ask a French pastry chef. If you want good weed, ask someone who's been doing it for 20-30 years.

Otherwise, I can tell you that many of the local legal canna cultivation outlets here only have 'x' number of positions, often give those to friends or family (or other investors), and the retail outlets don't necessarily pay all that well, and also have applicants who've completed their (bud tender/handler) cards.

But in some circumstances, persistence is powerful, too, so, you never know.... Keep sending out those resumés.

Years ago, when I would get serious about a change or a job, I would get the list compiled of those places I would consider working, then start spending money on copying & postage.

Like with fishing, the more times you toss your bait out, the more likely you'll catch a fish if they're present.

Last edited:

Drewsif

This is your new scene

https://www.daily-times.com/story/news/2020/12/26/shiprock-cannabis-farms-moved-oklahomas-farm-country/4021852001/

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Get A job where you want to move, any job. Move there. Grow your own. As you get to know people there, maybe eventually you can get a JOB in the legal canna business.

St. Phatty

Selling free market bud to wealthy people, getting $240 an ounce - that's a good situation to get into.

The trick is, the marketing.

Taxi Driver in the financial district is one example, but who buys pot from a taxi driver ?

Find a job where you're working around people who can afford to pay $240 an ounce.

Dog walker maybe ?

Or, Bike Package Delivery Guy.

Just
1. Move to a new city.
2. Start your seeds.
3. Get a job as a bike delivery guy.
4. Tell all the women you meet that you're lead singer in a rock band.
5. Spend an hour a day practicing your singing.
6. Chat up the wealthier offices you deliver packages to.
7. Invest in some Safer's concentrate, cause you're going to have spider mite problems.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Pizza boy? Lots of people buy pizza who are both stoned and flush. It gets customer service skills, cash handling and trust covered. While meeting people along the way. Shop work is shop work at the end of the day. It's good experience.

You don't want to give the impression you are work shy or break the law. That counter job is perfect to get sick of the 9 till 5 and start growing your own to sell their customers as you start meeting them away from the work place. Becoming a competitor not an employee.

A coffee shop job would be good work experience. It's literally the same job.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Selling free market bud to wealthy people, getting $240 an ounce - that's a good situation to get into.

The trick is, the marketing.

Taxi Driver in the financial district is one example, but who buys pot from a taxi driver ?

Find a job where you're working around people who can afford to pay $240 an ounce.

Dog walker maybe ?

Or, Bike Package Delivery Guy.

Just
1. Move to a new city.
2. Start your seeds.
3. Get a job as a bike delivery guy.
4. Tell all the women you meet that you're lead singer in a rock band.
5. Spend an hour a day practicing your singing.
6. Chat up the wealthier offices you deliver packages to.
7. Invest in some Safer's concentrate, cause you're going to have spider mite problems.
This is great :biglaugh:

Cuddles

I agree, keep growing your own, sell, offer your bud to retailers, and maybe they´ll offer you employment. and if they like your buds perhaps you can even do both :) steady job as well as weed supplier.

Sunshineinabag

What's up. I'm sure you guys have heard it all before, but I'm going to complain anyways.

I'm finally in a position to move out of Nebraska, where pot is very illegal, and into a legal state - Oklahoma.

Over the past couple weeks I've been hitting up maybe a half dozen of growers and dispensaries trying to land a job ahead of time.

Well, I've had no luck. On my resume I talk about my experience just being my own personal grow which of course was illegal, which I had stopped due to risks some years back.

Do you guys think that's the problem? That my only experience in the industry is from the illegal side of it, or is it just not easy to get your foot in the door?

Thanks for the insight.
Stay strong...your will is solid. Don't let it get cha down brother. Maybe look at fed grants for non profits you could swing....start your own?

St. Phatty

Stay strong...your will is solid. Don't let it get cha down brother. Maybe look at fed grants for non profits you could swing....start your own?

When Neville started the Seed Bank in Holland, he started out with about a $7500 small business development grant/ loan from the Dutch Government.

About 35 years ago.

HGCC

There seem to be quite a few weed related jobs around me. I get the impression they are looking for the same sort of things any retail job would, show up on time and follow directions. You might want to consider bud tending as a foot in the door. Worth noting, at least this is how it seems near me, growing jobs don't pay that well and you are essentially a farm hand, they aren't just giving folks rooms to run. That could be a reason previous grow experience isn't helping much, they want hands that do it their way, not necessarily people that will have their own firm ideas on how it should be done.

Idk, is there much demand in Oklahoma? It could be that there just aren't many opportunities since they don't have a big population and weed tourism is sort of over since it went legal so many places.

Good luck in the search man!

Cuddles

one questionI have is why Oklahoma and not some other place? Just curious.

Or do you just like the musical ;)

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don’t know the industry in Oklahoma.....I have been a budtender in California for a while now and it’s not that easy to get into it here, we get a lot of resumes that will never see the light of day ...one thing I’ve learned if you meet the owner and make a good impression you have a pretty good chance of getting hired. It definitely helps to go in regularly and make friends with the budtenders they can put in a good word for you also.

Experience doesn’t seem to be a big deal, just dress like you give a shit not some stained shirt and dirty pants and be friendly and don’t be a dick lol I’m just kidding but seriously you can get a job just have to work at it a little bit

Good luck let us know how it turns out :)

Unicron

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't given up, in fact I'm more determined than ever.

Why Oklahoma? Because the laws are better than Missouri. I can open my own joint after 2 years of residency.

In probably 3 years Nebraska will have medical. My goal is to learn, and practice in OK, and basically just get ready for my return to Nebraska where I aim to dominate the market from day 1.

I'm tired of denying who I am, and getting more pissed off by the day that these fucking tyrants want to control what I do in my home.

I've been putting in more applications and will continue to do so until I land a job. If I don't get any bites in a week or 2 I'll start looking at regular jobs down there.

I'm not worried about Chinese or even market saturation. I know I grow bomb ass weed, and I will do WHATEVER THE FUCK it takes to make this dream a reality. I'll trim 20 hours a day if that's what it takes. I'm confident if I can get my foot in the door, my personality and work ethic will get me to where I need to be.

I thought about going out to Colorado, but cost of living appears to be a bitch.

I'm convinced that this is my destiny, and I'm just going to go for it. Thanks for the support yall. I can't wait to start posting grow journals.