What's new

Smartphone-which browser?

Cuddles

Hi guys,
So some years back I was gifted a smartphone by someone who didn´t want theirs but I´ve never used it, except to take some photos.
In other words I know zilch about these things that have turned millions in zombies !

Well, I got internet conncetion now but the browser is totally outdated and not even supported on some plattforms.
So now I´m not sure which browser to download - Google chrome or firefox.

Is it possible to install and use both and which is better?

Fixer

Firefox is an opensource browser which means you're privacy is more likely to be protected. You should be able to run as many different browsers as you want on the same device. Assuming there is still a version that runs on the OS of your phone. If the phone is supper old you may have to dig through the creators archives to find the appropriate browser version.

Cuddles

thanks Fixer, I´ll just try it out and see what happens. What´s a super old phone tho, more than 5-7 years or even less?

Cuddles

well I tried Firefox but it said it doesn´t support my phone. So I went with chrome.

Whilst on the subject I´m gonna have a little rant:
Why the fuck is it not possible to download stuff directly anymore? why the fuck do you need a fucking account with fucking googleplay?
It really fucking pisses me off!!!!!!

davers

But nowadays its safari and other software from appstore. Its iphone call recorder which I use during work calls from partners. I think iphone is really powerful device for work and entertainment.

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
well I tried Firefox but it said it doesn´t support my phone. So I went with chrome.

Whilst on the subject I´m gonna have a little rant:
Why the fuck is it not possible to download stuff directly anymore? why the fuck do you need a fucking account with fucking googleplay?
It really fucking pisses me off!!!!!!

The power of Big Tech...

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I agree that the days of buying disks to install your software from was far better. I won't buy a Google laptop because of that reason. We don't even get windows disks anymore, so no way to format your hard drive and reinstall. I think that's the point though. We aren't allowed to wipe out history.

I use Chrome on the phone, in incognito mode through a free vpn. Chrome doesn't work on govt sites though like companies house. For them you'll need Firefox, or something else. Most of the helpline staff don't know that though.

jamespeterson

most of the time phone default browsers are the best one especially if you have Samsung phone other than that for simply browsing you can use Chrome