What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Swazi Red (Afropips)

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Do you think they could be related Roms?

Yeah possible but not sure ; Many stories and legend about the Kauai Electric origin but i like the Swazi one...

I have a story, when I was 20 in 1990 I moved out to the Big Island of hawaii and stayed with a friend of mine who was from California (moved when he was 2), we used to surf waipio valley and some other local spots and he smoked with me THE best weed I have ever smoked and still to this day every once in awhile I get some faint taste of it from just thinking about it, weird.
One day I decided I was moving to Kaui and wanted to bring some of this weed out there with me so he said he would talk to his surfing buddy to ask if I can be in the know about the SECRET he always spoke of when dealing with this particular weed, turns out I was ok and he brought me to a farm in the highlands of the Big Island in a town called wameia (? spelling) which looked like horse and farming area were his friends father grew a huge amount of weed. I remember walking in to his barn were he had racks and racks of drying dank weed. We sat around smoking and trimming buds placing big buds in the big bowls and small ones in the small etc, etc.
I will never forget smoking this beautiful cannabis and eating the freshest slices of dried bananas which tasted like banana taffy. I remember the father saying the strain came from Swaziland africa and on Kaui they called it Kaui electric and the father was a big time local heavy grower who supplied all the Islands. I brought 1 1/2 oz of it to Kaui and smoked with some guys who knew my friend I was staying with and when I returned home from surfing hideaways one day the place was broken into and all my herb and money and plane ticket were stolen, it turned out ok because I stayed another year to save and got to surf more, also met a cool Rasta who grew and live in the Napali coastline, Oh well true story hope you like it, not sure on the original strain but this is what i was told many many years ago, take care all.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=91689

Lolo94

The dry side of Waimea has great climate for growing, although it can get pretty windy. Considering how busy Green Harvest was then, and the lack of tree cover in most areas, one would have to be pretty creative to harvest alot there. The wet side gets cold and plants get alot of mold and mildew.

The Swazi was prevalent on the Big island in the mid 80's when I was in high school, especially in Hilo and Puna. I know it was grown mostly in drier places (me being one of the few exceptions who adapted it to a wetter climate) around the island and likely made it to other islands. I had never heard that it was the same strain as Kauai Electric, though. Based on older friends (including the one who gave me the Swazi seeds), it was a hybrid and not a pure sativa. Who knows though, people had all kinds of names back then. I always prefered Uncle so and so's weed or the place of origin, even though it didn't sound as glamerous.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Ya really need dry spots, but the Swaz has faster flowertime too, that's why we easy think it's a sativa hybrid compared to the longer flowering of Thai example.With few generations of repro there's also acclimatization, like the Thaiphoon in Denmark, all is possible but the faster flo of Swaz is a good argument and possibility compared to Thai, interesting approach will see. ;)

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hey Lolo please, do you find distinct kind of pheno with your Puna Swaz? Some faster some longer or is it quite uniform?

Really cool to meet you Red O' and Lolo ; SA Aloha from BZH broz

Lolo94

Hi Roms,

When I first got the strain in the early 90s there were 2 phenos. One was very light green (yellow green almost) and the other darker. The darker pheno was not as dark as the deep green/purplish leaves sometimes seen on other strains, but more typical of other sativas I've seen. The light green pheno was not as sturdy and did much more poorly than the darker green ones in the very wet environment it was exposed to. The light green one was very scraggly and most plants had been heavily affected by powdery mildew. The effect of the lighter one was cleaner but didn't seem as strong as the darker leaved pheno. This was likely influenced by the fact that the lght green sample was far from optimal. After the first breeding, only the darker leaved pheno was kept. Even though it also had some mildew problems at first, it was far more resilient and proved much more successful in the succeeding generations.
The flowering time outdoors (long season in upper Puna) in Hawaii was typically 12 to at most 14 weeks.
This latest run indoors (microenvironment usually LED), the pants were harvested at 12.5 weeks. The seeded calyxes were yellowish and many seeds were practically falling out, waiting for the unseeded calyxes to ripen. The fowering light schedule was 11 hours for 6 weeks, 10.5 hours for 3 weeks and 10 hours for 3.5 weeks.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Re cool :) your selection of the "Black line" darker green ones is promising yes they usually are the most potent i think so, good work! And the lost of the other "Gold line" light green can be re found with backcross, because those Gold ones with cleaner high are also interesting and more spiritual ^^ more tasty too! Anyway it can be improved by the re combinaison with the Black that you had already well worked and acclimatized. Also another kind of improving project that came to mind is its buds shape, Swaz is usually leafy i mean, need special selection of the best producer males..!

How about your terpeny vibrations line? Have you find lucky tasty ones?

Another question have you with friends making some dry sift hasch? :D

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=369881

This particular Swazi strain made it to the Big Island thru the local traveling surfer community in the 80s. Prior to the Dutch seedbanks, the seeds mainly came from veterans, hippies and surfers.
It's interesting you mention water fragility because this Swazi strain when first planted in upper puna did very poorly in the rain. It was originally inbred in more tropical and dryer lower Puna (Kalapana area) where the weather pattern is more passing showers and breezy. The rainy and colder environment in upper puna basically weeded out the plants most suceptible to mold, mildew, and disease. The first year, most plants were lost. The seeds from the ones that made it were replanted. It was typical of growers in a new environment with a new strain to plant alot more seed than would ever be harvested and cull along the way.

This is not a production strain. Even in the best plants, yield is low. I kept it mainly for the effects. There were others with that high energy, heart racing buzz but this was the most manageable compared to some of the other locally available sativa's. I made a cross with Red Congo that pulled the heart racing, pulsing effect. It wasn't quite as intense but it was also LED grown vs tropics.

The last pure Swazi I smoked was 5 years ago grown by a friend in Hawaii. The high was similar as when first smoked. Not sure what the results will be like indoors. I imagine that the yields will be paltry and will not be as strong (also because parts of the plants will be seeded) but I'm only after the quality.
If I have take an extra hit, so be it.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Another Hawaiian Kauai red bud from the 70/80s
picture.php

Lolo94

I am not sure I would consider what I have to be a black line. I've seen very dark green, purple and almost black looking leaves on other strains and these are lighter, but not as light as the discarded more yellowish phenos. As far as terpenes, I don't have the best sense of smell, but I would describe the smell as fruity. This latest batch seemed more lemony scented. Maybe having more yellow seeded calyxes made a difference. As mentioned before, the good smell does not translate to the taste. Compared to others I've tried, I don't consider it to be a good tasting strain.

The high from this particular batch is much more settled. I think that this is due to some of the seeded calyxes being very ripe and possibly slighlty overripe. When I say settled, I don't mean dulled (like indicas) but not as erratic or unfocused for the first 30 minutes or so. It is still motivating, but more controlled from the onset. It still allows for a focused, fun workout while your mind is constantly pushing you forward. The high also seemed to linger longer then cleanly faded away without fatigue. The sample I smoked was only 2.5 weeks since harvested, so things will likely change with a full several month cure.

As far as bud structure, it is typically leafy, but this can be changed by stopping fertilization early in flowering. In this latest run, I stopped fertilization at 3.5 weeks of flowering and let the plant cannabilize itself. By harvest time, all fan leaves had yellowed and dropped, and the smaller leaflets had also yellowed and mostly dropped. It made trimming a breeze and the harvested bud had a higher calyx ratio. This was possible indoors but would have likely created disease issues in a wet environment. In wet environments, proper nutrition is essential. Too much nitrogen attracts pests such as grasshoppers and other munchers that can really weaken a plant and whose feces invites mildew/mold. On the other hand, if the leaves were allowed to die on the plant (yellowing was ok), that would also invite disease.

The Kauai bud pictures you posted, remind of a strain (previously mentioned in another post) called Hilo Backyard. It was more of a bamboo shape, limegreen, thin leaved, and long flowering strain. I believe it was Thai or of Thai descent. This strain had very small calyxes (smaller than Swazi), with alot of red hairs, and an extremely clean, up high. It was so clean, that you'd question wether you were still high, only to realize a couple minutes later how high you were. It was a real mindfuck, but also alot of fun if your personality could handle it. I only had this strain clone only, and eventually lost it.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I am not sure I would consider what I have to be a black line. I've seen very dark green, purple and almost black looking leaves on other strains and these are lighter, but not as light as the discarded more yellowish phenos.

Ya by black line i mean black/dark taste compared to the Gold more soft and honey ^^ About its greens variation i would say blue green... That said for the Swazi Red from Afropips because the greens of the Swazi Gold is different, more light, lime and yellowish yes.

The Kauai bud pictures you posted, remind of a strain (previously mentioned in another post) called Hilo Backyard. It was more of a bamboo shape, limegreen, thin leaved, and long flowering strain. I believe it was Thai or of Thai descent. This strain had very small calyxes (smaller than Swazi), with alot of red hairs, and an extremely clean, up high. It was so clean, that you'd question wether you were still high, only to realize a couple minutes later how high you were. It was a real mindfuck, but also alot of fun if your personality could handle it. I only had this strain clone only, and eventually lost it.
Interesting, maybe related to the Swazi Gold line too that i found longer in flowering, less hard to smoke and with also very good clean high. But with the Thai the flo time is even more longer i think, minimum 16 weeks, that's why i doubt about its acclimatiz in Hawaii. Possible but not easy at all.

Yeah the red pistils mmmh like some Thai, Zamal, Antille Fil Rouge, Colombian Punta roja and with the Swaz in the middle.

Like a red historic spread : Thai or South Indian > South Africa > South America. The Swazi or South African influence in South America is quite underestimated or unrealized btw, Hawaii is a good example.
huggg.gif

Your fruity smell for some is nice, mine are definately more spicy. What i find special too is the pepper attack in the nose when you crack a bud wow special African vibes! Good curing Lolo!

Lolo94

Just noticed that Coastal Seeds has a Swazi Red × Burmese. That sounds like an interesting mix, and the description is that it's very clear I'd definitely be interested in crossing the Swazi I have to this. I got a feeling it could do well in coastal central California.

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Just noticed that Coastal Seeds has a Swazi Red × Burmese. That sounds like an interesting mix, and the description is that it's very clear I'd definitely be interested in crossing the Swazi I have to this. I got a feeling it could do well in coastal central California.
Interesting outdoor cross with the Burmese yeah, vibes and bravo to Chomba64 and his Coastal Seeds Co, hybrid work with my Afropips 2011 F2s!

Chomba/Kagyu1's Swaz F2s
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

x Burmese (Coastal Seeds Co)
picture.php

As seen the Swazi transmits its dense resin but also its leafy buds. There's also different stature and structure with large christmass tree or high lance less branchy. I don't know precisely what kind of specimen Chomba selected for the cross with Burmese, maybe both?

The leafy bud trait is also strongly present with my other hybrids with Mazar and Lebanese ; It's the principal thing to work and improve with Swazi hybridiz i think, the bud leaf ratio, that isn't really good, but not bad at all for resin extract and hasch ^^

Vibes Lolo, maybe a cross with another Hawaiian line like the Kauai would be great too, and still be "pure" Swazi heritage probability... Justly Chomba has an old Kauai line to work with... ;)

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greetings Roms :tiphat: I recently received these SWAZI ROOIBAARD in a trade .... They are the biggest beans I’ve ever seen ... veritable tortoise shells:biglaugh: peace

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Greetings Roms :tiphat: I recently received these SWAZI ROOIBAARD in a trade .... They are the biggest beans I’ve ever seen ... veritable tortoise shells:biglaugh: peace

Hello Star crash, i think those seeds are from Africaseeds who recently did a reproduction...
https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...production-run

In real they are just supposed to be Rooibaard and it seems that they're not really from Swaziland? Transkei?

So not the same Afropips version i work with ya know, from Nkomati region in situ in Swaziland i mean!

Mine are different and opposite tiny too so not the same genetics but interesting to compare for sure and bravo to Africaseeds to reproduce and share but i think the word "rooibaard" for those seeds is just a bit presumptuous with hype vibes... They are probably much more related to the common Gold line i think?... Good grow bro!

Latest posts

Latest posts