What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Odors that Define the Areas (Landraces)

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Always wanted to have a discussion about the certain common terpenes of different places around the world. A smell that trademarks the area. Traits even.

Highland, Lowland.... Thai, Colombian, Mexican, Nigerian, Durban, Malawi, Afghan vs Paki Highland vs lowland, Nepal vs Paki, Indian Kerala, SE Asian variety differences

Can anyone unleash their experiences, and thoughts on this. What you have notice as a trend, perhaps judging from multiple sources of legit stuff from the area.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was in the Amazon a couple years ago after picking up Chola seeds in Ecuador. We stayed at a very cool eco lodge. All I could smell along the paths was weed. Strong too. I tried to pry it out of a couple maintenance workers, but they wouldn't crack. I wanted seeds. What a wonderful smell. Not terribly skunky but there were definite sweet "hit the breaks I smell weed" moments.

picture.php

I can usually score seeds simply by buying a bag of weed. I sure get some strange looks when I tell them I'll pay double for a small bag of seeds. But not that time. :dunno:

Lesnah

Not sure if it's just the way I grow...but almost everything I grow smells of rich Guava and Basil.

Nanan Bouclou often had guava phenos, if not Guava then I'd say Winter green gum with menthol

Lesnah

They're not landraces but close to heirlooms not heavily hybridized like modern Cultivars so figured I'd mention this.

I think Guava is a southeast asian chemo type.

rolandomota

Veteran
I see a lot of mango fruity peach spicy like dried chili onion Frankincense damp grassy orange Tangerine from Mexico not much skunk pine lemon chocolate burnt rubber garbage or shit earthy but they pop up this is what I remember most In my current 5 year collection of Mexico brick weed I have many mango and mango onion ones in different bags from the same source now I'm getting Frankincense spicy Woody mango and grapefruit types

hellfire

Tobacco, musty cushions, leather, and chocolate/cocoa from a landrace Afghan.

The Swaziland I had was pungent and bright not quite anisey but along those lines. A ripe in your face smell of flowers and spices.

Jordanian was interesting different smells all the females I had. One metallic fresh cut copper and machine like smelling . One was dead on berry flavors. The third was more along the lines of less exotic floral smells like standard sweet bouquets.

PDX Dopesmoker

I was in the Amazon a couple years ago after picking up Chola seeds in Ecuador. We stayed at a very cool eco lodge. All I could smell along the paths was weed. Strong too. I tried to pry it out of a couple maintenance workers, but they wouldn't crack. I wanted seeds. What a wonderful smell. Not terribly skunky but there were definite sweet "hit the breaks I smell weed" moments.

View Image

I can usually score seeds simply by buying a bag of weed. I sure get some strange looks when I tell them I'll pay double for a small bag of seeds. But not that time. :dunno:

I wonder if they have some sort of topical skunk cabbage in Ecuador, in Oregon the damp areas near streams in the costal rainforests are where the skunk cabbage is. It smells great in those places if you walk through those swampy areas at the right time in the spring.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
My Iranians have a wide spectrum of noses on them but definitely the most common terp is a trainwreck like smell.... insanely dominant when I cross them to anything

Cvh

Supermod
^No, that's not racist. That's reality. For the matter of fact it's literally written into the description of the Sinai strain offered by TRSC.
https://therealseedcompany.com/product/sinai-landrace-strain-cannabis-seeds/

This Sinai landrace is very hardy due to the demanding conditions in Egypt’s mountains, which range from 50°c and high humidity in summer to dry, freezing conditions in winter. Cultivation by Bedouin in the wadi is basic, occasionally using mud brought in from the Nile, but usually only camel dung.

mexweed

Veteran
haha legit, also the different types of berries and insects primates eat in tropical landrace regions and the resulting poo that gets thrown around, jaguar poo after it eats dmt plants

ngakpa

Veteran
Afghan vs Paki Highland vs lowland,

anyone who tells you that there are distinct "highland" and "lowland" strains in regions such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, or Southeast Asia is full of crap

almost none of the "experts" writing about these places - either in books, blogs, or forums - has even been to them

essentially next to no online aficionado has any idea whatsoever what they're talking about when it comes to what actually exists on the ground in these places

even respectable scientists like Small and McPartland are basically putting together studies based at least in part on hearsay

even Mel Frank is over on Instagram posting pictures of hybridized landraces as if they're real

and even hashish expert Rob Clarke bless him apparently didn't even know that the main name for hashish in Afghanistan is "charas" (not vica versa)

so anyway, if you see someone talking about "highland" versus "lowland" Afghan landraces then you know they don't have a clue

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
We are speaking in general. Im talking about your experience... You could tell me you popped 5 different seeds from kerala from 5 different families for all i care...Im interested in connectable dots. Did you notice that all of the kerala had a trademark smell, with innerchangable notes that varied from lemon to grapefruit but a mint smell remained in most samples... for example.

ngakpa

Veteran
hi,

point I'm making is you're best not to start analyzing or generalizing on the basis of non-existent categories

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I crossed a pure Iranian male to my super gassy Master kush/cocokies strain... grew out 50.. had a few herms and a bunch of males.. anyways 14 solid and stable females... 13 of them look identical and all smell like that trainwreck ish Jack ish smell... only 1 looks like a mix of the 2 and smells like Gas... honestly not a fan of the common Iranian Terp..

Miasa Mura

Great Thread!

From my experience the most common terpene from landrace varieties is Pinene. Nepalese, Swazi Gold, Panama Red, Chinese, Kashmiri & Siberian all had some variations to the aromas, but overwhelmingly they were pine scented.

The Afghani-Pakistani were much different with more umami aromas like meat, mushrooms, creamer and or humus.

The Mexican’s were more nutty, almonds, pecans and cashews from Oaxacan & Acapulco.

Australian Bastard has a unique floral aroma like jasmine and roses.

Thai has more fruity notes of lemon, mango, lime and peanuts. Vietnamese was a mesquite barbecue sauce with some slight chili scent.

Latest posts

Latest posts